Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Home made Laundry Soap (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/home-made-laundry-soap-t128756.html)

KristinaH 06-07-2011 09:54 AM

I have had a few people PM me about how to do this. I thought it would be easier to put it here rather than typing it several times.

1 Quart boling water
2 cups grated bar soap (tip: to save more money ask friends and family to save soap from motels)
2 cups Borax (you can find this near the laundry soap)
2 cups washing soda (You can also find this near the laundry soap...if you can't find it you can sub baking soda)

Add bar soap to boiling water and stir till ALL of it is melted. Pour soap water into a large clean pail and add the borax and soda. Stir till completely dissolved. Add 2 gallons of water, stir till well mixed. Cover pail and use 1/4 c for each load of laundry. Stir each time you use it because it will gel.

One thing that I did was use old plastic laundry soap containers. This way I could just give it a good shake each time I used it.

bearisgray 06-07-2011 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by KristinaH
I have had a few people PM me about how to do this. I thought it would be easier to put it here rather than typing it several times.

And????

KristinaH 06-07-2011 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray

Originally Posted by KristinaH

And????

LOL sorry I had hit the wrong button and had to edit to put in the instructions. ROTFLMBO

bearisgray 06-07-2011 10:06 AM

I thought you were going to go back to the rendering fat and using lye/ashes method for making soap!

Rachel 06-07-2011 10:07 AM

I've made this many times, works great, but then I got lazy and decided to make the powdered version. (1 bar of grated soap, one cup each of borax and washing soda). Its just simpler for me. and it works great in my HE washing machine!

KristinaH 06-07-2011 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
I thought you were going to go back to the rendering fat and using lye/ashes method for making soap!

Well I have done that too! This is the time saving method and is SUPER cheap!

erstan947 06-07-2011 11:01 AM

I do this also. My water is so hard it won't desolve all of the ingredients so I use the liquid version. Thanks for sharing:)

ann31039 06-07-2011 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Rachel
I've made this many times, works great, but then I got lazy and decided to make the powdered version. (1 bar of grated soap, one cup each of borax and washing soda). Its just simpler for me. and it works great in my HE washing machine!

How much do you use?

montanajan 06-07-2011 11:44 AM

Thanks for sharing. I have made the kind of laundry soap with lye, lard - have to grate it with cheese shredder saved just for that purpose. I like how it cleaned hubby & kids' jeans. That has been a while ago - I'll be trying this soon.

NCquilter 06-07-2011 11:53 AM

Thanks for sharing! I'm bookmarking this page so I can try it