Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Home made sanitary pads (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/home-made-sanitary-pads-t58925.html)

Ramona Byrd 09-19-2010 08:17 PM

Whatever we have now is a great deal more advanced than my hillbilly Grandmother's Grandma, who had to use dried moss between layers of wool that had to be washed. Shearing the sheep, carding and spinning it and then weaving it...well, I think it's great to be able to wonder in a store and get all this for a large sum of money.

But at my age I can barely remember all this..I am glad to hear that lots of the younger ones are starting to think beyond their actions and what it means to our world.

cathyvv 09-19-2010 08:27 PM

I wonder if anyone has done a study on the environmentals costs of cloth diapers vs paper diapers and cloth pads vs store bought ones.

When my first 2 were small, I used cloth diapers because it saved money. Unfortunately, since I lived in an apartment, laundering them was somewhat problematic - had to go to the laundromat to do it. Imagine how the bathroom smelled after a few days...so cloth diapers would definitely be a good option if you have easy access to a washer and dryer.

Naturalmama 09-19-2010 08:37 PM

We did cloth diapers as well - and bought many of them used online! We never did figure out exactly the cost comparison, but I'm sure we saved a ton. Plus they're so cute! :roll:

Annaquilts 09-19-2010 09:07 PM

I have used these and they were made by sahm. They were mostly made of flannel and some had a nylon liner on the panty side. Some had velcro closure and some had a snap button. The pad wraps around the panty. Some, that were made of only very thick flannel had no closure and were supposed to stay put on their own. They had removable inserts either a folded up strip of flannel or oval shaped little pads made of flannel. I have also heard of fleece holders with flannel inserts. the fleece wicks away moisture and the flannel absorbs. I found these pads wonderful after child birth as they absorb/wick better then paper pads and did not irritate the skin. They do end up looking a bit stained or gray over time. When soiled you need to rinse them with cold water and then soak them in a soaker pot until you wash them in the machine. Then they need to be reassembled. Something I hated to do with the ones with the long flannel strip.

And yup with as many kids as I have we did cloth diapers most of the time too. Many of my children potty trained pretty much by two or before. I contribute that to them being able to feel wetness. Also what would you like to wear cotton or paper and plastic on your bottom. ~smile~

MadQuilter 09-19-2010 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by moonwolf23
Apparently it was one of the causes of toxic shock syndrome.

I had that. Very painful.

Annaquilts 09-19-2010 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by moonwolf23

Originally Posted by bearisgray
There are disadvantages to being female! We leak!

I'm trying to think of a few advantages -

Anyone?

I've been told by many male friends they are envious of our boobs.

LOL moonwolf you made me laugh. Not mine though. I know many guys that have way more "boob" then me. lol

Leota 09-19-2010 09:19 PM

Honestly, I am so ready for menopause now.
No you aren't... the night sweats, hot flashes, etc.... they don't ever end.... At least the monthly ended after a few days (unless something was amiss)
But on the other hand.... after menopause....you don't have to worry about birth control...

Leota 09-19-2010 09:28 PM

[quote=wvdek]
SO, next question, if your periods are extra heavy, what did/do they do to keep leakage down on these? [quote ]
During my pre-menopause era I would hemorrhage for two weeks....I decided to try the adult diapers/incontinence panties. STOPPED the leaks/overflow/accidents...
I was able to relax because I knew that I wouldn't have a break-through within 45 mins. of a new pad.