Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 148

Thread: Home made sanitary pads

  1. #1
    Moderator tlrnhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    In the middle of a mess...
    Posts
    19,993
    Has anyone made these or know of anyone who has?
    My daughter asked me about them and I've heard of those that have made them, but don't know anyone personally that has done this.
    Any insight would be appreciated.
    I've Googled it, so had my daughter, but she is mainly confused as to what fabric/material to use.
    Can anyone help?

  2. #2
    Super Member Charlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW (I wish it was the Ozarks!)
    Posts
    6,509
    Blog Entries
    6
    My mother once told me that when she was a girl, they used cotton or wool rags with natural sheep's fleece wrapped inside to absorb...

  3. #3
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    19,688
    http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/sanitarypads.htm

    cotton flannel and cotton terrycloth seemed to be recommended

    Just wondering - I did the cloth diaper thing for my kids - so I suppose this would be in the same category -

  4. #4
    Moderator tlrnhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    In the middle of a mess...
    Posts
    19,993
    I remember my mom, in a pinch would use old towel rags. Not sure how it all worked, but she had a bucket that we were not allowed to touch that she tossed them in. She never reused them, she threw them out. They were put in the seperate bucket so dad knew NOT to touch them.

  5. #5
    Moderator kathy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    on the Texas Coast
    Posts
    4,050
    well thankfully I don't need them anymore and I never thought about it but that hillbilly housewife was very interesting.

  6. #6
    Super Member KathyAire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    3,414
    Quote Originally Posted by tlrnhi
    . They were put in the seperate bucket so dad knew NOT to touch them.
    She probably didn't have to tell him twice, either......

  7. #7
    Moderator sharon b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Northern Indiana
    Posts
    20,411
    Blog Entries
    10
    When I was nursing we used flannel with terry on the outside so it wouldn't leak thru. I think it was terry.. will check and let you know

  8. #8
    quiltilicious's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    583
    Blog Entries
    1
    a bunch of people on Etsy sell them.

  9. #9
    Super Member dellareya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bay Area, Ca
    Posts
    1,588
    Blog Entries
    2
    They are called mama cloth. If your google search it, you will get plenty of results. They are big business. You can make your own or buy them. My daughter uses them and I make them for her. She says it saves a ton of money and feels better for the environment . She also uses cloth diapers.
    She always has a container going for used diapers so she just throws the mama pads in there. She line drys everything so it must give the neighbors something to wonder about.

  10. #10
    Community Manager PatriceJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7,170
    Blog Entries
    3
    if nobody else is going to say it ... i will.


    eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuwwwwwwwwwwww !!!!!!!!! :shock:

    ok. got it out of my system.

    back to you, terri. :lol:

  11. #11
    Power Poster CarrieAnne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Whitewater, WI
    Posts
    26,044
    I know it probaly seems gross, but I use them. Its an environmental choice for me, plus they really are more comfy!
    And frugal! Isnt hard to make them, and just use yours scraps of flannel, lol! Course, I am not married and have my own bathroom, so no one really knows!

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    dreaming of a simple life. Living off the grid!
    Posts
    3,310
    I know several young woman who use them and LOVE them. There is soemthing in the absorbant material in disposable pads that make you bleed heavier, or so I have been told. The girls I know said they buy flannel shirts from the thrift store for less the $1 each and make them with that fabric. They like the dark color since they don't show up the stains. Some have a little pocket to add extra batting other say they have different thickness pads. They said about a dozen is a good number. They are expensive if you buy them but they cost penneys to make yourself. A blog I follow said she has had hers for several years and she is now going to make new ones. They do save lots of money. I wish I would have had them when I was younger think of all the fabric I could have bought with the money I saved.
    There are also reusable tampons. They are made with 100% cotton yarn and crocheted. I am sure if you google it you can find directions for them.

    I was going to suggest hillbilly housewife too.

  13. #13
    Moderator tlrnhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    In the middle of a mess...
    Posts
    19,993
    My daughter is VERY environmentally friendly. No, she's not a treehugger, but she likes to save/recycle or whatever whenever possible. She uses cloth diapers for the babies and neither one of them has had a bit of diaper rash. She'll put a disposable on them if traveling for the day, but other than that, it's cloth, cloth, cloth.

    She's thinking she want's to do this, but unsure of it all. She says she could toss them in the diaper pail with the diapers, which is usually always full. Yes, she hangs it all out to dry too, but neighbors don't care, they love the babies.

    Yes Patrice...I said the EW thing too, but....oh well....sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do. This will also save her a bit of money too, I think, I hope!

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    dreaming of a simple life. Living off the grid!
    Posts
    3,310
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    if nobody else is going to say it ... i will.


    eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuwwwwwwwwwwww !!!!!!!!! :shock:

    ok. got it out of my system.

    back to you, terri. :lol:
    I thought the same thing at first, though I never used them is it any different then someone blowing their nose in a hankie and having to wash that????? Or skid marks in hubby's undies?????? And I ask WHY do lots of guys not know how to wipe their butt??????????? :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

  15. #15
    Power Poster CarrieAnne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Whitewater, WI
    Posts
    26,044
    Sure they save alot of money!!!!!!!!!! Boxes of pads are expensive, and they just get tossed. I just use a small pail by the sink with cold water and baking soda. Toss them in a load when you are doing some whites with a bit of bleach.

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    dreaming of a simple life. Living off the grid!
    Posts
    3,310
    Quote Originally Posted by tlrnhi
    My daughter is VERY environmentally friendly. No, she's not a treehugger, but she likes to save/recycle or whatever whenever possible. She uses cloth diapers for the babies and neither one of them has had a bit of diaper rash. She'll put a disposable on them if traveling for the day, but other than that, it's cloth, cloth, cloth.

    She's thinking she want's to do this, but unsure of it all. She says she could toss them in the diaper pail with the diapers, which is usually always full. Yes, she hangs it all out to dry too, but neighbors don't care, they love the babies.

    Yes Patrice...I said the EW thing too, but....oh well....sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do. This will also save her a bit of money too, I think, I hope!
    Now this is really gross, on a blog the lady said she takes the water from the diaper and mama pail and dumps it in her garden. She said is has lot of nutrients and everything grows huge. I don't know her personally but since she writes of her veggies garden I don't think if I did I would ever have a tomato sandwich at her house. Which is also silly look at all the people who use cow manure. Like everything else it is what we are use to and what has been considered exceptable.

    I commend your daughter, she is not giving in to big corporations and buying their expensive products just because it is a neccesity she is finding alernate ways.

  17. #17
    Super Member KathyAire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    3,414
    Quote Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
    Course, I am not married and have my own bathroom, so no one really knows!
    It's no longer a secret now................

  18. #18
    a regular here MegsAnn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,341
    Hmmm... interesting info on that site. My immediate reaction is YUCK, but it makes a good point that,

    "Disposable pads do not biodegrade very quickly. Plastic diapers and sanitary napkins are likely to be two of the most common artifacts that future archaeologists will find when excavating landfills from the 20 and 21 Centuries."

    Maybe that's grosser.

  19. #19
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    19,688
    Actually, dumping the water in the garden makes sense.

    Recycling makes sense.

    The reusable tampon grosses me out, though.


    what was used "way back when"?

    Back before fabric was invented?

  20. #20
    Moderator tlrnhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    In the middle of a mess...
    Posts
    19,993
    My daughter was always one that was/is earth conscious.
    They really don't have alot of money and with 2 babies, they TRY to not spend alot. They do get WIC, but not much, but every little bit helps.

    As to putting the water on the garden? My daughter thought about that, but then remembered...the bin that the diapers go in has a bit of bleach in it, so that's not good for her garden. She won't NOT put the little bleach in only because of bugs and she doesn't need those in her house.

  21. #21
    Junior Member QuiltingQueen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    SCF WI
    Posts
    186
    Actually there was a group of college girls near here that were making them a couple of years ago and sending them to Africa. Apparently young women in Africa would have to stay home from school then they had their period becuase they didn't have supplies. I was always going to do it but have since lost the pattern :(

  22. #22
    Power Poster CarrieAnne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Whitewater, WI
    Posts
    26,044
    If you want a pattern theres alot of free ones on the net. Or, just take a disposable one and make a pattern.
    LOL, Kathy, just dont tell my secret!!!!!!!!!!!!

  23. #23
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,839
    I would think reuseable tampons are just asking for toxic shock syndrome. Sorry, I don't think I'll risk that. And I don't know about the saving a lot of money thing either with the cost of washing, if you have metered water, drying, making and eww....my family would have a complete fit if I was putting them in with the family laundry.

  24. #24
    Super Member NikkiLu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    So. Central MO
    Posts
    2,640
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by trupeach1
    Quote Originally Posted by tlrnhi
    My daughter is VERY environmentally friendly. No, she's not a treehugger, but she likes to save/recycle or whatever whenever possible. She uses cloth diapers for the babies and neither one of them has had a bit of diaper rash. She'll put a disposable on them if traveling for the day, but other than that, it's cloth, cloth, cloth.

    She's thinking she want's to do this, but unsure of it all. She says she could toss them in the diaper pail with the diapers, which is usually always full. Yes, she hangs it all out to dry too, but neighbors don't care, they love the babies.

    Yes Patrice...I said the EW thing too, but....oh well....sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do. This will also save her a bit of money too, I think, I hope!
    Now this is really gross, on a blog the lady said she takes the water from the diaper and mama pail and dumps it in her garden. She said is has lot of nutrients and everything grows huge. I don't know her personally but since she writes of her veggies garden I don't think if I did I would ever have a tomato sandwich at her house. Which is also silly look at all the people who use cow manure. Like everything else it is what we are use to and what has been considered exceptable.

    I commend your daughter, she is not giving in to big corporations and buying their expensive products just because it is a neccesity she is finding alernate ways.
    That reminds me - years ago, my husband's brother brought his new bride here from Germany - they lived in a farm and only had an "outhouse" for a bathroom. We ate there several times and then she took us on a tour of her garden and we kept seeing toilet paper in the garden!!!!! Needless to say - we never ate there again! They used the "manure" from the outhouse for their garden - GAG!

  25. #25
    Super Member miss_ticky2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Posts
    2,053
    Wow...the things you learn on a quilting forum. I must admit, I never in my wildest dreams thought anyone in the modern world used anything other than disposable products. I must be quite naive..lol. However, yes, they are very expensive. This has been an eye opener. Glad I don't have to worry any more.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.