Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Hording may be neccesary! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/hording-may-neccesary-t75800.html)

theoldgraymare 11-11-2010 08:38 PM

I heard that on the news, too. I was horrified, followed by deep depression. Ate some chocolate, felt better. Without dark chocolate, I don't think I can make it...

Lisanne 11-11-2010 08:59 PM

What it means is that if demand doesn't go down, chocolate prices will go up. Instead of hoarding chocolate, maybe we should buy a cocoa tree farm...

quiltnchik 11-11-2010 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
OK, boys and girls...I just saw this on the news and I'm very worried...they are saying that there could be a chocolate shortage :thumbdown:
The growers don't want to grow the chocolate plants because other plants are more profitable.
I wonder how long chocolate would keep if I stocked up now???
I'm a dark chocolate lover, and I think that that freezes better because of less cocoa butter.
Life will not be worth living without CHOCOLATE!

There's another thread already going on about this...don't have the link, but we've been talking about homesteading, etc., in addition to the news I received from our local LQS this evening via email:

"Some news that can't be sugar coated: The price of cotton has gone up and is at it's all time high. There are several reasons for this...briefly, all of the storms and floods in China, Indonesia and other places that grow cotton ruined the crop. India pulled their cotton off the market. China bought up every boll they could find. It appears that now all cotton is owned by China except that which is held by India. China weaves most of the greige goods that our fabric is printed on so guess who holds all the cards in the pricing war? We expect to be selling fabric for as much as $12.00/yard before the end of next year unless a miracle happens. Hopefully someone somewhere is doing something about this problem!

We have also be forewarned that everything else is going up as well ... notions, sewing machines, etc. "

amma 11-11-2010 09:51 PM

NO!!! Say it isn't so!!! :(

finch 11-12-2010 04:18 AM

I no longer feel like a hoarder.That is so sad.

Riversong 11-12-2010 04:26 AM

The chocolate doesnt bother me. Im a diabetic,dont need it anyway. But the fabric is another story. And COFFEE!

Sewze 11-12-2010 04:37 AM

Oh NO! I can't make it through the day without my dark chocolate fix; even bittersweet chips if all the really good darkest chocolate is gone.

OmaForFour 11-12-2010 06:33 AM

BE CAREFUL! It has been know (supply & demand) that a big run on a product could also drive the price up. lol

ljsunflower 11-12-2010 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by quiltnchik
There's another thread already going on about this...don't have the link, but we've been talking about homesteading, etc., in addition to the news I received from our local LQS this evening via email:

"Some news that can't be sugar coated: The price of cotton has gone up and is at it's all time high. There are several reasons for this...briefly, all of the storms and floods in China, Indonesia and other places that grow cotton ruined the crop. India pulled their cotton off the market. China bought up every boll they could find. It appears that now all cotton is owned by China except that which is held by India. China weaves most of the greige goods that our fabric is printed on so guess who holds all the cards in the pricing war? We expect to be selling fabric for as much as $12.00/yard before the end of next year unless a miracle happens. Hopefully someone somewhere is doing something about this problem!

We have also be forewarned that everything else is going up as well ... notions, sewing machines, etc. "

I know the "local" quilt shop here already has fabric at $10 a yard so I figure it will go higher than $12 in some locations.

Sewze 11-13-2010 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by ljsunflower

Originally Posted by quiltnchik

I know the "local" quilt shop here already has fabric at $10 a yard so I figure it will go higher than $12 in some locations.

Our LQS is already @ $10, also. JoAnn's is @ $9.00......Oh my, I guess this will never end. :thumbdown: