Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   hot dish = casserole (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/hot-dish-%3D-casserole-t249411.html)

bearisgray 07-02-2014 10:01 AM

hot dish = casserole

It was YEARS before I realized that a "casserole" was what we always called "hot dish"

What other names are these types of foods called?

quiltstringz 07-02-2014 11:45 AM

I have always called them casseroles. Grew up in So CA and now in Texas, don't think I have heard them called anything else but it will be interesting to see. I put in where I was from and am now as I am guessing that some of the names may be regional.

Jan in VA 07-02-2014 12:34 PM

Virginia, Alabama, Texas....all called a "casserole". They usually consist of a mixture of ingredients in a baking dish, often with a lid, and are occasionally taken to a "pot luck/church supper/take-a-dish" type of meal to share and serve several people.

Jan in VA

zennia 07-02-2014 12:53 PM

To me a casserole is a mixture of ingredients baked together. A hot dish is just something cooked like potatoes .

Debbie Ness 07-02-2014 01:01 PM

In North Dakota this was referred to as hot dish. Usually meat, pasta (elbow macaroni) and a tomato sauce with seasonings (S & P, onions, etc). Yummy!

yngldy 07-02-2014 01:22 PM

That's funny! I didn't realize until just now that I knew them as interchangeable. If someone said, I made a casserole
it meant a main dish of meat, sauce and usually noodles of some kind. If someone said "I'll bring a hot dish", it meant the main course dish, usually in a casserole container. A cold dish was salad or dessert. Tomato, to-ma-to. lol

M.Elizabeth 07-02-2014 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by zennia (Post 6783317)
To me a casserole is a mixture of ingredients baked together. A hot dish is just something cooked like potatoes .

I think like you.

Edie 07-03-2014 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 6783092)
It was YEARS before I realized that a "casserole" was what we always called "hot dish"

What other names are these types of foods called?

Minnesotans call it a hot dish - Like we call soda POP. Have a glass of pop with your hot dish! My mother made a "handy down" from my Swedish grandmother on my dad's side made of hamburger, celery, onion, canned tomatoes, kidney beans and elbow macaroni. It is called Minister's Dinner. One night Grandma (she died before I was born) was making dinner and the minister came over and she invited him to stay - And now you know the rest of the story. This was around 95 years ago. And the hot dish has been in the family ever since. Neat story - delicious and nourishing supper, not to mention, in those days, cheap!!!!! Oh yah, a handy down is a hand me down. It sounded better calling clothes from someone else a handy down than a hand me down. My first pair of penny loafers were handy downs.
Edie

RN-Quilter 07-03-2014 03:36 AM

In Hungary it is called ghoulash, in South Africa it is called bredie, in England I think they call it stew.

granny64 07-03-2014 05:05 AM

I call a casserole any dish (main or side) that is placed in a dish and baked in the oven. I'm from Louisiana so maybe it's a southern thing.