Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: hot dish = casserole

Power Poster

hot dish = casserole

It was YEARS before I realized that a "casserole" was what we always called "hot dish"

What other names are these types of foods called?

I have always called them casseroles. Grew up in So CA and now in Texas, don't think I have heard them called anything else but it will be interesting to see. I put in where I was from and am now as I am guessing that some of the names may be regional.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Virginia, Alabama, Texas....all called a "casserole". They usually consist of a mixture of ingredients in a baking dish, often with a lid, and are occasionally taken to a "pot luck/church supper/take-a-dish" type of meal to share and serve several people.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Blog Entries
    To me a casserole is a mixture of ingredients baked together. A hot dish is just something cooked like potatoes .
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

In North Dakota this was referred to as hot dish. Usually meat, pasta (elbow macaroni) and a tomato sauce with seasonings (S & P, onions, etc). Yummy!
    Debbie

That's funny! I didn't realize until just now that I knew them as interchangeable. If someone said, I made a casserole
    it meant a main dish of meat, sauce and usually noodles of some kind. If someone said "I'll bring a hot dish", it meant the main course dish, usually in a casserole container. A cold dish was salad or dessert. Tomato, to-ma-to. lol

Quote Originally Posted by zennia View Post
    To me a casserole is a mixture of ingredients baked together. A hot dish is just something cooked like potatoes .
    I think like you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    It was YEARS before I realized that a "casserole" was what we always called "hot dish"

What other names are these types of foods called?
    Minnesotans call it a hot dish - Like we call soda POP. Have a glass of pop with your hot dish! My mother made a "handy down" from my Swedish grandmother on my dad's side made of hamburger, celery, onion, canned tomatoes, kidney beans and elbow macaroni. It is called Minister's Dinner. One night Grandma (she died before I was born) was making dinner and the minister came over and she invited him to stay - And now you know the rest of the story. This was around 95 years ago. And the hot dish has been in the family ever since. Neat story - delicious and nourishing supper, not to mention, in those days, cheap!!!!! Oh yah, a handy down is a hand me down. It sounded better calling clothes from someone else a handy down than a hand me down. My first pair of penny loafers were handy downs.
    Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

In Hungary it is called ghoulash, in South Africa it is called bredie, in England I think they call it stew.

I call a casserole any dish (main or side) that is placed in a dish and baked in the oven. I'm from Louisiana so maybe it's a southern thing.

Blog Entries
    if its cooked in the oven ,,,,in the UK is called a cassarole .......if ingredients are in a pan on top of oven it is a stew

A friend of mine hates soup, and claims that casseroles are just soup without enough water. LOL

I've always heard it called casserole. Although when people ask me what I call something I've made, my standard response is, "It's called Food Pile".

DH & I eat a lot of Food Pile.

New York/New Jersey - casserole.

In California, I grew up calling them casseroles (from my Nebraska born mom). I married a picky eater who refuses to eat "casseroles" - but loves my lasagna, and enchiladas (even if I just layer them) and a lot of crock pot stuff that isn't too far from.... But around my house we don't serve "casseroles". My DIL has thanked me many times for raising a son who will try anything and eat most of it.

Power Poster
    Some potlucks say to bring "a covered dish" ???

Meal in a dish!

Blog Entries
    Years ago we called them cover dishes (I think because they had lids). Then, as the actual dishes changed, the term casseroles was frequently used. Of course, with the addition of Crockpots, the term covered dish would still apply.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

Blog Entries
    Well, in Kansas where I grew it was a "hot dish." When we moved across the state, it became a "Casserole. So, I guess it is just where you are and the customs.
    Mariah
    Have a wonderful Quilting Day, make it your way!
    Marta
    Martha Tompkins

Blog Entries
    at our house we called it pot luck goulash,

If I make it for my family, it's a casserole. If I take it to to a pot luck etc, it's a dish to pass.

Blog Entries
    From BC Canada, here a casserole is a whole meal in one pan, baked in the oven. It will have protein, starch and vegetables. If you are asked to bring a hot dish to a pot luck, it could be a casserole, but generally would mean a hot vegetable dish, such as mashed potatoes, creamed corn etc.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=casserole one definition.

What I call other foods depends more on how I serve them.

Goulash is always served on noodles.

Stew is served in a bowl generally with home made biscuits, but sometimes bread on the side.

Meat pie is stew served in a pie crust. But with more vegies on the side.

Shepherds pie is not a casserole, because I serve vegies on the side. I know this makes not sense at all.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Edie View Post
    Minnesotans call it a hot dish - Like we call soda POP. Have a glass of pop with your hot dish! My mother made a "handy down" from my Swedish grandmother on my dad's side made of hamburger, celery, onion, canned tomatoes, kidney beans and elbow macaroni. It is called Minister's Dinner. One night Grandma (she died before I was born) was making dinner and the minister came over and she invited him to stay - And now you know the rest of the story. This was around 95 years ago. And the hot dish has been in the family ever since. Neat story - delicious and nourishing supper, not to mention, in those days, cheap!!!!! Oh yah, a handy down is a hand me down. It sounded better calling clothes from someone else a handy down than a hand me down. My first pair of penny loafers were handy downs.
    Edie
    I'm with you!! Love having a pop with my hot dish!! Must be a Minnesota thing!!