Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Hot Flash RX (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/hot-flash-rx-t159501.html)

MaryAnnMc 10-11-2011 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by lab fairy
HRT isn't the evil some people make it out to be. If you are really young when you hit menopause HRT may be better for you because without the estrogen women start having issues with bone density. If your symptoms are really bad, then this might be your answer. Only you and your Dr. can decide.

I hope you find an OTC that helps with symptoms but I stick by my HRT bioidentical estrogen. Besides dealing with the hot flashes, it helps with the osteopenea.

Ditto. Love my patches!! My doctor told me she'll be on them the rest of her life. I have tried to go off them, but it's impossible for me. And even more so for my poor DH! :oops:

AlwaysQuilting 10-11-2011 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Mariposa
A cold can of pop held between your b**bs works great to cool off!

:D :D :D

1234Irene 10-11-2011 04:21 AM

I rub estrogel on one of my arms every night. Works great for both me and my family, lol. THEY know when I run out, too. They either have to be on their best behavior or wear lots of clothes. My worst times are the night sweats. During the day, I run my wrists under very cold water, and it helps.

lvaughan 10-11-2011 04:53 AM

Another one where Black Cohosh worked. I didn't have to take it for very long, 6-12 months. I don't use anything now, still have hot flashes but they are tolerable. My hotflashes seem to fluctuate almost like a cycle where somedays i don't have any at all or just a couple mild ones. Then I will have several all day and night that are more intense. During this short time (few days to a week) I do get a little worn down but I know it will pass.

Sallyflymi 10-11-2011 05:07 AM

Black Kohash worked for me. Took it 4 times a day.

noahscats7 10-11-2011 05:17 AM

I probably would be much less sane than I am if not for HRT. When you have 50-60 a day you'll do whatever works. Plus I was only 41 when it started. You will become an expert at slipping one leg out from under the covers and then and then back out, etc. Try all the suggestions given one at a time until you find one that works for you and good luck. Glenda

agoldencomet 10-11-2011 05:21 AM

Because of a family history of osteoporosis, I chose not to go on HRT. What helped for me was ginseng. I tried making straight ginseng tea but didn't enjoy it much. So instead I added one ginseng bag to every pot of tea I made. Also, I found my nights were plagued with hot hands and feet. So before bed I filled the bathroom sink with ice water - what a blessing for my hands in the middles of the night!!
Good luck with whatever you try.

Stitchnripper 10-11-2011 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by agoldencomet
Because of a family history of osteoporosis, I chose not to go on HRT. What helped for me was ginseng. I tried making straight ginseng tea but didn't enjoy it much. So instead I added one ginseng bag to every pot of tea I made. Also, I found my nights were plagued with hot hands and feet. So before bed I filled the bathroom sink with ice water - what a blessing for my hands in the middles of the night!!
Good luck with whatever you try.

I'm curious if you've had a bone density test before and after the ginseng to see if it helps your bones. I understood that the HRT helped with bone density/osteoporosis. I was on the estrogen patch, then got breast cancer, off everything, so am taking Estroven Nighttime which helps me sleep and helps with the flashes. Also, I'm advised to stay off of soy since it has "estrogenic" properties. I'm not advocating any of this for anyone, just sharing my story.

GGinMcKinney 10-11-2011 06:10 AM

Sleep on a beach towel to absorb the fluids from the night sweats. Was wringing out my nightie during the night. I can't take estrogen as I had breast cancer that grew due to estrogen.
You can get through it without hormones if you decide to. Not easy, not fun. Sorry we ladies have to go through this. One of life's many little jokes.

sewmuch 10-11-2011 06:17 AM

Had everything out at 34, had to be on HRT for years everyday....now low dose and every other day, tried to get
off but miserable, hope to one day...I am 70..boo hoo