Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Hot Flash RX (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/hot-flash-rx-t159501.html)

Lioness3xs 10-10-2011 05:04 PM

Ok ladies - I need help with this issue just all of a sudden. What works, what doesn't and how to survive?

c1bendt 10-10-2011 05:15 PM

My Dr recommended flax seed oil, it has helped lesson the hot flashes for me

dphelps 10-10-2011 05:17 PM

Well, let's see..I have stuck my head in the freezer, made ice packs for my neck, sat in front of the fan when it is 70 degrees,slept with the AC on 65 degrees and the fan blasting on me, taken ice baths and.....nothing works. Face it, it is here to stay (at least for a while or you turn 80).LOL The only saving grace is that only happens when I move. No, take that back; it is actually intermittant and I never know when the flash will occur. Such is the life of a woman sliding into the geriatric ward......

ritamaew 10-10-2011 05:17 PM

Every one is different but for me I found eating Soy made a big difference. I made tofu stir frys and used soy milk. Taking a pill is not the same. I refused to be put on estrogens.

I wish you luck.

Rita

luv-e 10-10-2011 05:25 PM

I take Estrablend I buy @ WM...... They have daytime and nighttime pills.....
Oh!!! How I wish you luck......................
PS What the other ladies said too also work...

patchsamkim 10-10-2011 05:28 PM

I use fans...they only happen during the day for me, and unless they start to affect my sleep, I don't want to take any medications. I know to dress in layers...if needed, only cardigans, not pullovers for outer layers....always a t-shirt/something short sleeve on for lower layer. I can have hot flashes in winter when my house is at 64 degrees, and in summer with air conditioner on...have learned to just turn on the fan the minute I start to feel one coming on and that helps.

lfw045 10-10-2011 05:32 PM

Black Kohosh..........helped my sister in law. Her hot flashes diminished quickly. Ask your pharmacist if you are taking other prescriptions and if there is any conflict.

athomenow 10-10-2011 05:42 PM

I can tell you that I did not go on any hormone replacement therapy against dr. orders. I did have a couple of hot flashes but I controlled everything with herbs. Black Cohosh is the first thing I tried. Then I added Evening Primrose oil and Black Current. I put some other things in at times but if you do a search on herbal remedies you will get some idea of how I went about it. It works but you have to stick with one thing to see how you do and then add something else. Herbs don't work fast and sometimes it takes 6 weeks or more to get a result. But if you're like me and don't want to do HRT you will find a way. I sailed right through it and didn't have any depression or night sweats!

dreamboat 10-10-2011 05:53 PM

Take some vitamin E pills right after you eat a meal.

Montana Quilter 10-10-2011 06:29 PM

I opted for hormone replacement (HR), I work 12 hour shifts,work hard,on my feet-I felt like I needed to do what ever was constant and worked very well. I do go off it once in awhile to see how I do, usually last 2-3 months, become one miserable, bitchy woman and go back on the HR. Everyone is happier-me, my family, co-workers, and my patients! (I love fall! My favorite time of year, I love the jewel tones and lovely yummy sweaters-I have a great closet full of them, just haven't worn them for 3 years) Good luck!!!!!!!