Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Hot Flash RX (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/hot-flash-rx-t159501.html)

ptquilts 10-11-2011 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by ritamaew
Every one is different but for me I found eating Soy made a big difference. I made tofu stir frys and used soy milk. Taking a pill is not the same. I refused to be put on estrogens.

I wish you luck.

Rita

Ditto, soy and vitamin E. My favorite - teaspoon of decaf instant coffee, add a little cold water to mix, fill glass with soy milk - add ice cubes - YUM!!

I also take FLax seed oil, ground flax seed, and black cohosh.

luce321 10-11-2011 02:48 PM

All I can say is, I've been there, went through it and thankful that it is past me.

Barbshobbies 10-11-2011 02:51 PM

I wish I would have known about these aids for hot flashes. I started at 39 and by 45 I couldn`t take it any more, even my glasses steamed up. Dr. put me on estrogen and it worked, but kept hearing how it could cause deadly things to a person. After being on 10 yrs, I asked him to take me off, but he said not to worry. I asked every year till I was on 15 yrs, and took myself off. I still get hot flashes but not near as often as before,and I`m still healthy, thank GOD.

DeeDee1280 10-11-2011 04:05 PM

I do ALL of the above. I still have a couple a day. I have learned that if I move too fast at once, I have one, and almost every morning when I get up and have the first cup of coffee you can count it.

katcox 10-11-2011 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by luv-e
I take Estrablend I buy @ WM...... They have daytime and nighttime pills.....
Oh!!! How I wish you luck......................
PS What the other ladies said too also work...

If that is walmarts brand, I do to. It worked just as well as the more expensive stuff.

ButtermilkMama 10-11-2011 05:45 PM

I had

I had "THE SURGERY" when I was 39. Thnks to too much heavy lifting on the farm. I have to say, I never had any "hot flashes" and refused to take any estrogen supplements I was one lucky lady!!!

fishnlady 10-11-2011 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by MaryAnnMc

Originally Posted by lab fairy
HRT isn't the evil some people make it out to be. If you are really young when you hit menopause HRT may be better for you because without the estrogen women start having issues with bone density. If your symptoms are really bad, then this might be your answer. Only you and your Dr. can decide.

I hope you find an OTC that helps with symptoms but I stick by my HRT bioidentical estrogen. Besides dealing with the hot flashes, it helps with the osteopenea.

Ditto. Love my patches!! My doctor told me she'll be on them the rest of her life. I have tried to go off them, but it's impossible for me. And even more so for my poor DH! :oops:

Same here. Life dealt me two uterus. Had hysterectomy at 29 and one ovary working. Went into menopause early so have been on HRT ever since. Saved my sanity. I have been on bio-identical for years and I am doing very well.

sewingsuz 10-11-2011 09:11 PM

I took hormone replacement for about 24 yrs and now they took me off because of a blood clot. the medication only puts off the menapause and once you go off the pills, your body now thinks you are going through it and I am 70. It should have been all gone. and now I get hot again and no one esle in the house is hot.

debbieumphress 10-11-2011 09:26 PM

ROFL. I don't have hot flashes....I have power surges. LOL. I hate it too. But I don't like taking anything so I'll endure. Not bad yet.

Sew Krazy Girl 10-11-2011 11:03 PM

The only thing that helped me was drinking a tall glass of ice water. Cooled me right down.