Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   How do you keep your stainless steel appliances smudge free?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/how-do-you-keep-your-stainless-steel-appliances-smudge-free-t255965.html)

cindi 10-28-2014 03:50 PM

...and I have no idea why the picture posted twice. Sorry!

almond 10-28-2014 04:11 PM

I use Norwex clothes on mine and it looks and stays clean a long time

MaryKatherine 10-29-2014 03:13 AM

Ha! I only clean it when company comes. Another one of those never ending pointless tasks.

momsobon 10-29-2014 04:10 AM

In the beginning all you do is wipe wipe wipe.....when I first got the new appliances I would wipe maybe three or four times a day as they have gotten older it seems better. But Martha Stewart was on the radio and she recommended Windex

LynnG 10-29-2014 04:22 AM

The person or persons that is/are responsible for the design and marketing of stainless steel appliances for public use should be publicly spanked and return our hard earned money! lol Major regret for me! I also have a stainless steel gas oven/range with a black top. Another major regret! The black top is insane to keep clean...to shiny and shows dust! Sheesh! Not only do I have constantly clean the stainless fridge, dish washer and range but I have to dust the top of my range! My Mother used to say that things like this were designed by men to keep their women in the kitchen (she was a 50's wife)..I'm wondering if she was right at this point. lol I really miss the old textured appliances and the ease of keeping clean. I windex the heck out of my stainless...in fact, I should own stock in windex since I use so much.

nananurse 10-29-2014 04:50 AM

I have a friend who swears by cheap baby oil to keeps hers smudge free.

Sewnoma 10-29-2014 06:01 AM

I buy stainless steel cleaner wipes. They're in a pop-up container like baby wipes so very convenient. They clean gunk off as well as fingerprints (and dog nose-prints!) so if you have a DH like mine that cooks "explosively" it's a one-step deal to remove the tomato sauce and all the smudges in one swipe, LOL. We've had this 'fridge for 4-1/2 years and I'm still on my first container.

If I see JUST fingerprints, I'll quickly buff it with a paper towel (or my sleeve if I'm being lazy) and that takes care of it handily. I think the wipes leave a coating behind that makes it easier to wipe off fingerprints in between true cleanings.

tessagin 10-29-2014 06:27 AM

I'll stick with my smudge free off white. I use Mr. Clean eraser or micro fiber cloths with water as warm as I can stand it. My fridge is over 10 and looks new. I hate cleaning so I want something to stand up to my cleaning methods. Dawn goes into my cleaning water and cuts grease and grime. I also use bleach. I like my vinegar and baking soda also. I hate pussy footing with cleaning. I want to get it done and not have to think about it. If I have to spend more than 30 minutes in one room cleaning, I am not happy. That is why I clean as I go. So does DH. Of course seasonal cleaning is a little longer. Add another 30 minutes.

tessagin 10-29-2014 06:33 AM

I have a gas stove with the black drip pans and grates. Black glass top and black glass oven door. I just wipe it down right after dishes. Had company (announced) show up one day. They said "Wow, your house looks clean!" I stated "Thanks but did you come to see us or our housekeeping, Because there's the door!" They started apologizing. I don't visit people because of their housekeeping. I visit "them".

Originally Posted by LynnG (Post 6948191)
The person or persons that is/are responsible for the design and marketing of stainless steel appliances for public use should be publicly spanked and return our hard earned money! lol Major regret for me! I also have a stainless steel gas oven/range with a black top. Another major regret! The black top is insane to keep clean...to shiny and shows dust! Sheesh! Not only do I have constantly clean the stainless fridge, dish washer and range but I have to dust the top of my range! My Mother used to say that things like this were designed by men to keep their women in the kitchen (she was a 50's wife)..I'm wondering if she was right at this point. lol I really miss the old textured appliances and the ease of keeping clean. I windex the heck out of my stainless...in fact, I should own stock in windex since I use so much.

AZ Jane 10-29-2014 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan (Post 6947010)
my new fridge looks terrible. cleaned with stainless steel cleaner. I haven't tried anything else yet. I just look at the large smudge and cringe and go about other things. Never again will i buy a stainless steel fridge.

I so feel your pain. Absolutely needed to buy a new stove, cook top (glass) broke. Allowed my kids to talk me into new stainless steel everything (stove, frig, dish washer, micro-wave), I had white. It shows everything, I hate it!!!!!