Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How do you keep your stainless steel appliances smudge free??

How do you keep your stainless steel appliances smudge free??

Our new stainless steel refrigerator was delivered last week. Of course, there were some smudges/prints left from the delivery staff re-attaching the doors, etc. They won't come off just by wiping or with a little water. Read on-line today to put a dab of dishwashing liquid on a damp (not wet) cloth and wipe in the direction of the stainless "grain". Have not tried this remedy yet, but want to keep them looking spotless (we are retired). What have you found to work?

I buy the stainless steel cleaner I think it's called Weiman It works great and you pick it up pretty much anywhere.
    Billi
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood

Blog Entries
    I use baby grade mineral oil, just a dab of it on a cloth. This is after removing any really stubborn grease spots, etc., with dishwashing liquid on a damp cloth. It helps to always rub with the grain. Next time I will be sure to purchase "print resistant" SS appliances!

Mineral oil is the only thing I have found that restores a luster to the SS. Regular mineral oil is too thick; I go to the baby section of the pharmacy and get the most unscented baby mineral oil I can find. A little goes a long way, but it takes buffing (elbow grease).

Clean it with Windex
    Creative clutter is better than idle neatness.

I agree, Windex is what works best for me.

Blog Entries
    I also use stainless steel cleaner. Bought it where I bought appliances.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

In a small spray bottle (I used a travel spray bottle from Target), mix 1/4 cup alcohol, 3 drops of blue Dawn diswashing liquid, and fill to the top with water. Shake. It works wonders on smudges and water spots, and shines up the stainless steel. I used to use stainless steel cleaners, but they left a buildup that took forever to get off. I'll never use them again now that I've found this recipe! Whatever you do, do not EVER use Windex or any other window cleaner on them. I ruined a dishwasher front using Windex....it was never the same again.
    Tenacity is more than endurance. It is endurance combined with the absolute certainty that what we are looking for is going to transpire. -Oswald Chambers

Windex has two formulas. One with ammonia and one without. You can't tell by looking so be sure of the one you are buying. The bottle that say Original has ammonia, the other will say ammonia free. They both work completely different on the same surfaces. I'm not that fussy about my appliances. I spray whatever I'm cleaning with on them and wipe clean. The stainless I have is not shinny more matte and doesn't smudge very much. I keep my two year old grandson during the day and his prints wipe off with a damp paper towel.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    my new fridge looks terrible. cleaned with stainless steel cleaner. I haven't tried anything else yet. I just look at the large smudge and cringe and go about other things. Never again will i buy a stainless steel fridge.

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    my new fridge looks terrible. cleaned with stainless steel cleaner. I haven't tried anything else yet. I just look at the large smudge and cringe and go about other things. Never again will i buy a stainless steel fridge.
    NativeTexan, try the alcohol/Dawn/water mixture. The smudge may just be cleaner that wasn't completely wiped off. We recently bought a house and the stainless steel fridge was absolutely atrocious. I don't know that they EVER wiped down the fridge in 10 years. I took Barkeeper's Friend (the liquid, not the dry powder), put just a little bit ( like 2 fingertips worth) on a damp microfiber towel, and lightly rubbed it on the SS (with the grain), then wiped it clean with another damp microfiber towel. It took a while, but OMG, it cleaned it right up! The left side is clean, the right side is nasty:

Then I used the alcohol/Dawn/water solution on it. It's looked great ever since. Just don't rub real hard with the BKF, and be sure to wipe it down afterward. That might help with your "smudge". Be sure to try it on a hidden area first
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cindi; 10-28-2014 at 03:52 PM.
    Tenacity is more than endurance. It is endurance combined with the absolute certainty that what we are looking for is going to transpire. -Oswald Chambers

...and I have no idea why the picture posted twice. Sorry!

I use Norwex clothes on mine and it looks and stays clean a long time
    Mary

Blog Entries
    Ha! I only clean it when company comes. Another one of those never ending pointless tasks.
    marykayhopkins123.blogspot.com

In the beginning all you do is wipe wipe wipe.....when I first got the new appliances I would wipe maybe three or four times a day as they have gotten older it seems better. But Martha Stewart was on the radio and she recommended Windex

The person or persons that is/are responsible for the design and marketing of stainless steel appliances for public use should be publicly spanked and return our hard earned money! lol Major regret for me! I also have a stainless steel gas oven/range with a black top. Another major regret! The black top is insane to keep clean...to shiny and shows dust! Sheesh! Not only do I have constantly clean the stainless fridge, dish washer and range but I have to dust the top of my range! My Mother used to say that things like this were designed by men to keep their women in the kitchen (she was a 50's wife)..I'm wondering if she was right at this point. lol I really miss the old textured appliances and the ease of keeping clean. I windex the heck out of my stainless...in fact, I should own stock in windex since I use so much.

I have a friend who swears by cheap baby oil to keeps hers smudge free.

I buy stainless steel cleaner wipes. They're in a pop-up container like baby wipes so very convenient. They clean gunk off as well as fingerprints (and dog nose-prints!) so if you have a DH like mine that cooks "explosively" it's a one-step deal to remove the tomato sauce and all the smudges in one swipe, LOL. We've had this 'fridge for 4-1/2 years and I'm still on my first container.

If I see JUST fingerprints, I'll quickly buff it with a paper towel (or my sleeve if I'm being lazy) and that takes care of it handily. I think the wipes leave a coating behind that makes it easier to wipe off fingerprints in between true cleanings.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I'll stick with my smudge free off white. I use Mr. Clean eraser or micro fiber cloths with water as warm as I can stand it. My fridge is over 10 and looks new. I hate cleaning so I want something to stand up to my cleaning methods. Dawn goes into my cleaning water and cuts grease and grime. I also use bleach. I like my vinegar and baking soda also. I hate pussy footing with cleaning. I want to get it done and not have to think about it. If I have to spend more than 30 minutes in one room cleaning, I am not happy. That is why I clean as I go. So does DH. Of course seasonal cleaning is a little longer. Add another 30 minutes.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I have a gas stove with the black drip pans and grates. Black glass top and black glass oven door. I just wipe it down right after dishes. Had company (announced) show up one day. They said "Wow, your house looks clean!" I stated "Thanks but did you come to see us or our housekeeping, Because there's the door!" They started apologizing. I don't visit people because of their housekeeping. I visit "them".
    Quote Originally Posted by LynnG View Post
    The person or persons that is/are responsible for the design and marketing of stainless steel appliances for public use should be publicly spanked and return our hard earned money! lol Major regret for me! I also have a stainless steel gas oven/range with a black top. Another major regret! The black top is insane to keep clean...to shiny and shows dust! Sheesh! Not only do I have constantly clean the stainless fridge, dish washer and range but I have to dust the top of my range! My Mother used to say that things like this were designed by men to keep their women in the kitchen (she was a 50's wife)..I'm wondering if she was right at this point. lol I really miss the old textured appliances and the ease of keeping clean. I windex the heck out of my stainless...in fact, I should own stock in windex since I use so much.

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    I so feel your pain. Absolutely needed to buy a new stove, cook top (glass) broke. Allowed my kids to talk me into new stainless steel everything (stove, frig, dish washer, micro-wave), I had white. It shows everything, I hate it!!!!!
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Ladies...i have another question that i would LOVE to have answered....how is it that my frig magnets will not stick to the front of my "stainless steel" refrigerator OR my stainless steel front dish washer...(different manufacturers) .....they stick to my stainless steel utensils.....Personally .... i have begun to think it's not stainless steel at all - but what do i know.
    Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most.

When our new SS fridge was delivered they told me to NEVER use windex on it or it would permanently discolor the finish. We use the mineral oil previously mentioned. And PenniF, my magnets only work on the sides, not the front of the fridge too!

I use a damp micro fiber cloth that I use a squirt of Dawn foam on, then ring almost dry. I never rinse or dry and it looks as good as new.

One of my clients got stainless when she updated her kitchen because it was "recommended" as the best thing to do.
    A small bottle of cleaner came with it called Ceramabright that worked great. Use a little, wipe on & wipe off. No buffing needed. Have only found it online. 2 - 16 oz bottles for $18.00 & because you use so little it will last a long time. I think we buy it every 18-24 months.

I am a very lucky wife. My husband has taken on the task of keeping the SS fridge clean. He uses WD40 and swears by it. Looks great. I am with everyone else -- my next fridge will not be stainless.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast