Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Anyone tried these new appliances???

I was in Joann's yesterday and I saw two new sewing items. One is the binding making machine, and one is a rotary cutting machine. They have them on shelves right by the quilting stuff. Has anyone tried these yet? Christmas is coming, and I need to come up with ideas to tell my family, but I don't want to get them if they aren't any good.
    A few years ago when the battery operated bobbin machine came out I got one, and I still use it. Love it... and noticed the price on that one has gone up.

Yes, I have the bias cutting machine. Makes great bindings irons it and everything. You have to buy the different sizes for the binding but you can buy the whole set at Nancys Notions. Of coarse JoAnns carries them also sold separately.

Blog Entries
    Hi,

I don't have them but I bought the big extension table and use it as a big table around my sewing machine. Works out great! used the 50% coupon for the extension table

here is a link from the board that shows it with a sewing machine

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-59948-1.htm

Quote Originally Posted by craftybear
    Hi,

I don't have them but I bought the big extension table and use it as a big table around my sewing machine. Works out great! used the 50% coupon for the extension table
    Great idea.

The Simplicity electric rotary cutter doesn't have good reviews on amazon.com. It averages 2 1/2 stars out of 5 stars.

Blog Entries
    I have both the bias making machine and the strip cutter machine by Simplicity. I got them last year for Christmas. The strip cutter machine is crap. I haven't gotten it to work right yet. It cuts unevenly, if you can even get it to cut.

The bias making machine is fantastic. Cut your strips, sew them together, and feed them through. It makes 10 yards in 50 seconds, ironing them just right. I bought the tip for quilt binding; it comes with 2 or 3 tips also. It will make double or single fold. I have been amazed at how well this works. Gotta have it!

Thanks for the input. I will research the rotary cutter before I decide.

I had the rotary cutter, tried it and took it back. Wasn't worth the time. I now have an Accuquilt and love it.

The binding making machine is fantabulous!! Don't waste your money on the cutter, some things really are too good to be true. :D

I just bought the binding machine and it is awesome. I actually make extra binding with each project so I have some ready to go. Yes, it is that easy. You sew your strips and feed through 1 minute later perfect binding.

can any one put up a picture of the binding machine-also the cost-- sounds like a must have---not seen them yet here

Blog Entries
    I have the binding machine, love it. The cutter machine is something I won't use very much. The cuts are not that precise. If you use a lot of not so precise fabric strips it will be a time saver.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jemma
    can any one put up a picture of the binding machine-also the cost-- sounds like a must have---not seen them yet here
    The cost is $99 (US), but most places have them on sale. I am attaching a link to see them, and (hopefully) a picture.

http://www.allbrands.com/products/abp22656.html

Simplicity Bias tape maker
    Name:  Attachment-110910.jpe
Views: 16
Size:  7.5 KB

I have somehow lost the cord for mine. Think I may have accidentally given it away with a sewing machine when I was cleabing closet.

Blog Entries
    I wonder if the cords are interchangeable?

I'm looking on Google for a replacement cord for you, but haven't found yet...

Quote Originally Posted by purplemem
    I have both the bias making machine and the strip cutter machine by Simplicity. I got them last year for Christmas. The strip cutter machine is crap. I haven't gotten it to work right yet. It cuts unevenly, if you can even get it to cut.

The bias making machine is fantastic. Cut your strips, sew them together, and feed them through. It makes 10 yards in 50 seconds, ironing them just right. I bought the tip for quilt binding; it comes with 2 or 3 tips also. It will make double or single fold. I have been amazed at how well this works. Gotta have it!
    She hit the nail on the head! I also have both. The strip cutter is awful! My mom and I have both tried it many times and we never could get a straight cut. I would stay far, far away from this one!

The binding maker works well and it is the only way that I fold and press my quilt bindings now! You just need to make sure you buy the larger tip for the quilt binding. I was able to purchase both the machine and the extra tip at Joann's.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by trisha
    I was in Joann's yesterday and I saw two new sewing items. One is the binding making machine, and one is a rotary cutting machine. They have them on shelves right by the quilting stuff. Has anyone tried these yet? Christmas is coming, and I need to come up with ideas to tell my family, but I don't want to get them if they aren't any good.
    A few years ago when the battery operated bobbin machine came out I got one, and I still use it. Love it... and noticed the price on that one has gone up.
    Is the binding making machine you saw battery operated? I've seen them, but I wondered too if they work well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MommaDorian
    Quote Originally Posted by trisha
    Is the binding making machine you saw battery operated? I've seen them, but I wondered too if they work well.
    My machine is electric.

thank you purplemem this place is full of helpful people great community

Yes, the binder I saw is electric and has some attachments you can get for it. I will definitely stay away from the rotary cutter. I just love the bobbin winder,, I can get lots of bobbins done while watching tv. Thanks everyone for the great input.

i am realy interested---can you fold 1]' a quilt binding-like one fold usual width---2]down to small double for celtic knots 3] in between table mat edges--------do you need extra bits

Blog Entries
    It comes with three bits, don't remember which ones, but the extras are only $9 each.

Yes, it will do all you are asking.