Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   How do you take it? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/how-do-you-take-t268399.html)

sewbizgirl 08-07-2015 07:45 PM

I made a churn dash quilt out of old shirts for my son. I loved that quilt. I was a little hurt when I visited and he opened up the trunk of his car to get something out, and there is was! He and his girlfriend (now wife) were using it as a picnic quilt. I got over it tho, and figure if that is how they enjoy it, no harm in that.

ctrysass2012 08-07-2015 08:36 PM

When the first Wizard of Oz fabrics came out I made a quilt from the free pattern & had it quilted. My mother in law saw it when I was putting the binding on & flipped. Just loved the movie & the quilt was wonderful. Other things she has seen just got 'Oh that's nice'. Since she is difficult to buy for I wrapped it & gave it to her for Mother's Day. She seemed excited but no one has seen it since. That was 7 yrs. ago. Have not & will not make anything for her again. Told my DH that when she passes I want that quilt back. That is the only thing I want from her.

IBQUILTIN 08-07-2015 09:34 PM

Most people will tell me what they want in a "gift" quilt, and when they do, they go to the bottom of my list. What part of "gift" do people not understand? There is a lot of money that goes into making a quilt, and when I gift one, my hope is that it will be used, and loved, and loved and used. Washed and dried and done again and again. The ones that go into a closet are the ones that break b\my heart. If I gift it and they use it till it needs replaced, I will gladly try to fit that one into my latest list of projects

jcrilley 08-08-2015 03:27 AM

I try making one for whichever family member. If it is not appreciated or acknowledged I don't bother with any others. I made a wedding quilt for my GS - my husband gave it to them while I was in another room - GS thanked me and his wife never said a word one way or the other. What my DH was thinking of I haven't figured out yet. There is a GGS in the works now and I am making self binding receiving blankets. IF I make a baby quilt, it will be for my own satisfaction as obviously the mother could not care less about "home made" (I prefer crafted) quilts. Discouraging.

quiltingshorttimer 08-08-2015 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by annette1952 (Post 7279681)
A simple "Thank you" goes a long way with me. It isn't in some peoples vocabulary so they are never on my list anymore. That is a huge pet peeve of mine. I try not to let it bother me so much but that is how I was raised & it is hard to change. Also I don't want to change! It is not hard at all to say "Thank you" as I told the girl in the grocery store the other day. That's a whole different post! lol

does seem like fewer people say thank you any more--my DIL almost never says thank you and when she did recently when my DH helped them with some expenses, she texted 3 thank yous to him--he saved the texts since they are so rare from her!

DOTTYMO 08-09-2015 01:24 AM

I have made quilts where they are used and washed with love. I don't think people in general in UK understand the time and effort and cost.
i have made quilts or bags for quilters. They have asked me to make these items. As the quilt they buy the pattern ( if needed) and fabric. I sew and quilt. Just made a quilt for a friend's father. Rang with thanks as soon as they received it. They are delighted.