Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   How to get removed from a mailing list? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/how-get-removed-mailing-list-t292671.html)

cathyvv 11-18-2017 10:59 AM

A long time ago, after my father died, we got some junk mail for him monthly. The last one that came, I did exactly what you did, except I wrote:

"Deceased. Left no forwarding address."

That ended the mail from that vendor!

maviskw 11-20-2017 04:42 AM

Twenty five years ago my husband and I were on a mission to reduce our junk mail. We opened each one, took out the postage paid envelope, stuffed all their paper in there and mailed it back. Some days we had five letters going back. Our mail was greatly reduced. I still do that if need be. But don't forget, sometimes there is money in there, like $1 for a survey.

One year a book club was sending me a lot of stuff and I asked them to stop. I sent several of their letters back but they still kept coming. Finally I wrote in one of them that I would send them a box of rocks if they didn't stop sending me stuff. That was the end of that one.

Someone actually did that once. They sent a box of rocks to Alaska with the postage paid envelope pasted on the box. The recipients had to pay for that and took that name off their list

Peckish 11-20-2017 10:37 AM

One of my friends got a free 1-year subscription to a quilt magazine. She had already subscribed to that particular magazine, so she offered it to me as a gift. She spelled my name wrong, and now I get all kinds of junk mail with my misspelled name on it. Very telling, they sold my name and address! So I no longer subscribe to ANY magazines.

maryb119 11-20-2017 06:24 PM

My sister and I got our cat on a mailing list when we were kids. Back then we could save the UPC codes from cat food bags and send them in for free cat toys. We sent it in on the cats name Irma @#$^ and sure enough, she started getting preapproved for credit cards and magazine adds. It was funny to see what they would send to the cat.

Teddybear Lady 11-20-2017 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by maryb119 (Post 7948047)
My sister and I got our cat on a mailing list when we were kids. Back then we could save the UPC codes from cat food bags and send them in for free cat toys. We sent it in on the cats name Irma @#$^ and sure enough, she started getting preapproved for credit cards and magazine adds. It was funny to see what they would send to the cat.

Now this is funny! haha

Maralyn 11-23-2017 03:01 PM

My sister died in June and she was the queen of catalogs and solicitations for donations. I individually returned mailing labels, got her name on a do-not-mail list (as deceased) and I am finally seeing a marked decrease in the mail five months later. After this date, I am just going to throw the rest away. Now another sister passed two weeks ago, so will have to go through the same exercise again. I have now started returning mail addressed to me asking for removal as I don't want anyone have to go through this for me.