Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   How to know if you are buying real olive oil. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/how-know-if-you-buying-real-olive-oil-t263796.html)

Sandra in Minnesota 04-09-2015 12:20 PM

Very interesting posts. Thanks.

Onebyone 04-09-2015 01:30 PM

You have to research the food items you buy. I read labels on every food item I buy. I am very against GMO foods and it's hard to find which ones aren't. I am surprised at how many think a carton of fruit drink is real fruit juice! Do not buy that for kids.

I buy local honey from a beekeeper. There are many in my area. Non pasteurized and each jar has a big honeycomb in it. My uncle was a beekeeper so growing up we always had a big bowl of honeycomb full of honey on the kitchen counter. That was our syrup, dipping sauce, and candy.

lynnie 04-09-2015 01:38 PM

very interesting and informative. I need to see if mine clouds. does it un cloud
after taken out?

ube quilting 04-09-2015 03:47 PM

I use California Olive Ranch brand. Grown in USA, Non GMO, Processed right on the ranch it is grown on. Wonderful stuff!

Good olive oil should be in a dark glass bottle for best protection and cold pressed, never blended.

EDIT: The cloudiness is from fat ( other than olive) solidifying.

PenniF 04-09-2015 04:34 PM

I keep mine in the fridge all the time....i don't use it fast enough and once way back when a bottle went rancid !! YUK !! In the fridge it becomes semi-solid -- kind of gelatinous when really cold....I use a long thin spoon to get out what i want.

nativetexan 04-09-2015 04:52 PM

thanks. that's all I use anymore!

sparkys_mom 04-10-2015 04:34 AM

While this is being discussed, the same caution applies to maple syrup. A lot of it is fake. I always buy USDA Organic. It is expensive, but we (I) shouldn't be using that much of it to begin with. :D I'm also against GMO foods.

dd 04-10-2015 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 7159417)
You have to research the food items you buy. I read labels on every food item I buy. I am very against GMO foods and it's hard to find which ones aren't. I am surprised at how many think a carton of fruit drink is real fruit juice! Do not buy that for kids.

I buy local honey from a beekeeper. There are many in my area. Non pasteurized and each jar has a big honeycomb in it. My uncle was a beekeeper so growing up we always had a big bowl of honeycomb full of honey on the kitchen counter. That was our syrup, dipping sauce, and candy.

You should only eat locally "made" honey. This helps with allergies. Honey is somewhat medicinal. We have a "queen-bee" who attends our church. I always get my honey from her.
Glad to know about the olive oil being cloudy. I got some from the store and when I got home it was cloudy. I was afraid to use it. Guess it's the good stuff. It was cold this winter.lol

kathidahl 04-10-2015 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 7159311)
Stock up! A blight is attacking the olive trees in Italy. They are cutting trees like mad to stop the spread but I think olive oil all over is going to go up in price if the supply is down.

Can't stock up...olive oil does not keep!!

RugosaB 04-10-2015 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by ube quilting (Post 7159592)
I use California Olive Ranch brand. Grown in USA, Non GMO, Processed right on the ranch it is grown on. Wonderful stuff!

Good olive oil should be in a dark glass bottle for best protection and cold pressed, never blended.

EDIT: The cloudiness is from fat ( other than olive) solidifying.

I suspect the water situation out there is going a affect at least the PRICE