Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to know if you are buying real olive oil.

How to know if you are buying real olive oil.

This makes me mad. What other products are we buying that are not what we think?

The University of California, Davis, conducted its own investigation back in 2010 revealing that 69 percent of imported and 10 percent of California-based olive oils are fake, failing to pass International Olive Council and Department of Agriculture guidelines for extra-virgin olive oil. You can access that report here:

OliveCenter.UCDavis.edu.

Put the suspect bottle in a fridge IN THE GROCERY STORE before you pay for the stuff then come back and look for a cloudy oil the REAL olive oil will be cloudy the fake stuff is clear.

mine was cloudy - thanks for the information!

was just about to buy some...thanks!
    It is a blessing, to be a blessing !
    ~Quilters are warm people!!!~
    cheese brings parties together

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...HJV/weight.png

I buy Pompein brand olive oils. This brand passed the guidelines and is sold in most stores.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Verrrry interesting!!! Thanks for the tip.
    so many quilts to make, so little time.

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    I buy Pompein brand olive oils. This brand passed the guidelines and is sold in most stores.
    where did you find the guidelines? do they list brands that are ok?

Power Poster
    Stock up! A blight is attacking the olive trees in Italy. They are cutting trees like mad to stop the spread but I think olive oil all over is going to go up in price if the supply is down.

There was an interesting article in Consumer Reports a couple of months ago about this subject and they found many of the olive oils labeled as virgin or extra virgin were of much less quality. I can't recall all the specifics but Pompeii was one brand that was the real thing---I remember being surprised by that because I had always viewed it as a 'cheaper' quality. The only other specific brand I remember was Bertelli which is what I had been buying but it didn't pass the CR tests.

WOW, how interesting. Thanks for the post.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Check the ingredients in honey. Some have been infused with fructose. The only ingredient should be.....honey.
    sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Blog Entries
    Very interesting posts. Thanks.

You have to research the food items you buy. I read labels on every food item I buy. I am very against GMO foods and it's hard to find which ones aren't. I am surprised at how many think a carton of fruit drink is real fruit juice! Do not buy that for kids.

I buy local honey from a beekeeper. There are many in my area. Non pasteurized and each jar has a big honeycomb in it. My uncle was a beekeeper so growing up we always had a big bowl of honeycomb full of honey on the kitchen counter. That was our syrup, dipping sauce, and candy.
    Last edited by Onebyone; 04-09-2015 at 01:34 PM.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    very interesting and informative. I need to see if mine clouds. does it un cloud
    after taken out?
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    I use California Olive Ranch brand. Grown in USA, Non GMO, Processed right on the ranch it is grown on. Wonderful stuff!

Good olive oil should be in a dark glass bottle for best protection and cold pressed, never blended.

EDIT: The cloudiness is from fat ( other than olive) solidifying.
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

I keep mine in the fridge all the time....i don't use it fast enough and once way back when a bottle went rancid !! YUK !! In the fridge it becomes semi-solid -- kind of gelatinous when really cold....I use a long thin spoon to get out what i want.
    Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most.

Blog Entries
    thanks. that's all I use anymore!

While this is being discussed, the same caution applies to maple syrup. A lot of it is fake. I always buy USDA Organic. It is expensive, but we (I) shouldn't be using that much of it to begin with. I'm also against GMO foods.
    Pat

dd
    Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    You have to research the food items you buy. I read labels on every food item I buy. I am very against GMO foods and it's hard to find which ones aren't. I am surprised at how many think a carton of fruit drink is real fruit juice! Do not buy that for kids.

I buy local honey from a beekeeper. There are many in my area. Non pasteurized and each jar has a big honeycomb in it. My uncle was a beekeeper so growing up we always had a big bowl of honeycomb full of honey on the kitchen counter. That was our syrup, dipping sauce, and candy.

You should only eat locally "made" honey. This helps with allergies. Honey is somewhat medicinal. We have a "queen-bee" who attends our church. I always get my honey from her.
    Glad to know about the olive oil being cloudy. I got some from the store and when I got home it was cloudy. I was afraid to use it. Guess it's the good stuff. It was cold this winter.lol
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Stock up! A blight is attacking the olive trees in Italy. They are cutting trees like mad to stop the spread but I think olive oil all over is going to go up in price if the supply is down.
    Can't stock up...olive oil does not keep!!

Quote Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
    I use California Olive Ranch brand. Grown in USA, Non GMO, Processed right on the ranch it is grown on. Wonderful stuff!

Good olive oil should be in a dark glass bottle for best protection and cold pressed, never blended.

EDIT: The cloudiness is from fat ( other than olive) solidifying.
    I suspect the water situation out there is going a affect at least the PRICE
    You know that feeling when you've finished all your quilting projects and your studio is perfectly clean???? Me neither.

It's not how fast you sew, it's how well you sew fast! Wait, I think that's supposed to be MOW!

Power Poster
    Thanks for the tip...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RugosaB View Post
    I suspect the water situation out there is going a affect at least the PRICE
    I may be wrong about this, but olive trees are a Mediterranean plant so they are well suited to a dry, arid climate. I think they would be a better tree to grow in CA than oranges. nature will catch up to our destruction and alterations of the environment. Most of the water in CA doesn't even belong there. We made the bed and we have to live with our deeds.
    It is no ones fault but ours that CA is running out of water.
    I do not have any affiliation with the company other that it being a good product that I like.

http://www.californiaoliveranch.com/

peace
    Last edited by ube quilting; 04-10-2015 at 03:36 PM.
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Blog Entries
    Is this the 2010 study? http://olivecenter.ucdavis.edu/resea...410updated.pdf

It appears that the refrigerator test for cloudiness is not accurate:
    http://olivecenter.ucdavis.edu/resea...iablefinal.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    Is this the 2010 study? http://olivecenter.ucdavis.edu/resea...410updated.pdf

It appears that the refrigerator test for cloudiness is not accurate:
    http://olivecenter.ucdavis.edu/resea...iablefinal.pdf
    Turning cloudy is not the same a turning solid.
    Many think good oil will turn solid in the cold, like bacon grease or shortening. No true for oils as those links show it doesn't mean bad quality if it doesn't turn solid. I check for cloudy.

Since we are checking....check your dairy products. Gov. mandates that any low fat milk product must have palmate, because taking the fat out also takes all/some of the vit. A out.
    Palmate is an artificial vit. A. that your body cannot assimilate. Whole milk is not required to have it. I called
    Strauss Family dairy farms and that is why its in their low fat products. I was concerned because I only use organic milk products. Linhawk

·What does a clock do when it's hungry? It goes back four seconds.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast