Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   How many light sources in your sewing area? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/how-many-light-sources-your-sewing-area-t266879.html)

ljptexas 06-26-2015 05:12 AM

How many light sources in your sewing area?

I was sitting in my recliner in my sewing room, looking around & counted how many light sources I had. One of my relatives once said "you sure have lots of light in that room." I counted 5. Floor lamp behind & over my machine, wall lamp above my sewing/cutting table, floor lamp & table lamp on each side of recliner & of course, ceiling fan/light..
So was wondering how many sources do you have in you sewing room/space?

Tartan 06-26-2015 05:16 AM

I usually just have the ceiling fan with 3 halogen bulbs above my sewing area. I use a floor lamp over by my treadle when needed. I have really good light with the halogen bulb on my Bernina.

MarLeClair 06-26-2015 05:48 AM

I have 5 ott lights and it still isn't enough light. Oops, forgot the light on my sewing machine.

Misty's Mom 06-26-2015 05:48 AM

We have recessed lights and the ceiling fan lights. All are LED and put out lots of light, cheaper to use, and no heat.

donnajean 06-26-2015 05:51 AM

I have an Ott light that has a long bendable arm & clamps to the edge of my sewing cabinet. I can move it to thread the machine needle or use it just for general light if I'm not getting enough light from the window behind the sewing machine cabinet. Then, to my right an Ott light sits on the chest of drawers and lights up my cutting board which is on a Big Board with room for an ironing matt. I don't usually have the other dresser & nite stand lights on in that room unless it is dark outside. I'm really conservative with my electric, so I don't light areas I'm not using.

Onebyone 06-26-2015 06:04 AM

I can't stand the LED bulb overhead light. I use plain old fashioned bulbs. I bought cases of them before the ban. I have LED bulbs on all my machines though. I have two floor lamps with five bulbs each, two overhead lights with six bulbs each. A double window that gives sunlight all afternoon is my best light source. I have Ott light on my ironing table and LED light attached to my cutting table. I have several LED and Ott lamps not in use but there if I need them.

EasyPeezy 06-26-2015 10:49 AM

You can never have too many lights. I have a double fluorescent light (8 ft. long),
OTT light, magnifying lamp and double lights on my sewing machine. I could
still use one more lamp.

tessagin 06-26-2015 11:12 AM

I have different kinds of lighting but don't use them all. Overhead ceiling fan with light, double window for natural, lights on the 2 machines, bendable light. No Ott lights. A few LED. Just depends on what I'm doing.

Deb watkins 06-26-2015 03:16 PM

Light on the sewing machine, dual 9 ft. overheads and a single bulb over the design board.

DOTTYMO 06-26-2015 10:48 PM

I have triple overhead light and a floor light with flexi neck which I use when doing and hand work.