Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How many light sources in your sewing area?

Post How many light sources in your sewing area?

I was sitting in my recliner in my sewing room, looking around & counted how many light sources I had. One of my relatives once said "you sure have lots of light in that room." I counted 5. Floor lamp behind & over my machine, wall lamp above my sewing/cutting table, floor lamp & table lamp on each side of recliner & of course, ceiling fan/light..
    So was wondering how many sources do you have in you sewing room/space?
    ~ I'm a Blessed Nanna to 2 Grandsons & 5 Granddaughters & 1 grandson in law ~
    ~ I'm a Blessed Mom to DS & DDIL, DD & DSIL ~
    ~ Mom to 1 black beauty now ~ Daisy ~
    ~ God Bless the USA ~ God Bless Our Troops ~

Power Poster
    I usually just have the ceiling fan with 3 halogen bulbs above my sewing area. I use a floor lamp over by my treadle when needed. I have really good light with the halogen bulb on my Bernina.

I have 5 ott lights and it still isn't enough light. Oops, forgot the light on my sewing machine.
    Marilyn

We have recessed lights and the ceiling fan lights. All are LED and put out lots of light, cheaper to use, and no heat.

I have an Ott light that has a long bendable arm & clamps to the edge of my sewing cabinet. I can move it to thread the machine needle or use it just for general light if I'm not getting enough light from the window behind the sewing machine cabinet. Then, to my right an Ott light sits on the chest of drawers and lights up my cutting board which is on a Big Board with room for an ironing matt. I don't usually have the other dresser & nite stand lights on in that room unless it is dark outside. I'm really conservative with my electric, so I don't light areas I'm not using.

I can't stand the LED bulb overhead light. I use plain old fashioned bulbs. I bought cases of them before the ban. I have LED bulbs on all my machines though. I have two floor lamps with five bulbs each, two overhead lights with six bulbs each. A double window that gives sunlight all afternoon is my best light source. I have Ott light on my ironing table and LED light attached to my cutting table. I have several LED and Ott lamps not in use but there if I need them.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

You can never have too many lights. I have a double fluorescent light (8 ft. long),
    OTT light, magnifying lamp and double lights on my sewing machine. I could
    still use one more lamp.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I have different kinds of lighting but don't use them all. Overhead ceiling fan with light, double window for natural, lights on the 2 machines, bendable light. No Ott lights. A few LED. Just depends on what I'm doing.

Light on the sewing machine, dual 9 ft. overheads and a single bulb over the design board.
    Deb Watkins - I woke up today on the right side of dirt. It is a good day.

Blog Entries
    I have triple overhead light and a floor light with flexi neck which I use when doing and hand work.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Lamp, sewing machine, window and ceiling fan. I still can't see sometimes...

I'm with EasyPeasy! There can never be TOO much light as far as I'm concerned! I have two OTT stand lamps, 3 OTT table lights, 2 Ikea small lights, a big magnifying light, a ceiling fan with a light. Recently my DH installed a 4-ft. LED 2-bulb light fixture in my 8x14 sewing room closet. When we bought our house, the sewing room was already painted with one wall purple and the other three walls painted lavender. The closet was painted white.

For five years I kept saying I was going to paint and re-organize my SR closet, but my DH kept discouraging it. (Now I know why). A couple of weeks ago I told him that I was going to bite the bullet and paint. Oh my, what a disaster trying to move all of my sewing paraphernalia out of my SR closet! I have five 72x48x14 chrome shelving units in my SR closet that I unloaded so that I could install heavy duty casters on the shelving units so they would be easier to move around. I got the casters on and put the final coat of cream color paint on yesterday, including the closet. After I get everything back in the closet, I may decide to add another light fixture.

The flooring in my SR and closet is carpeted, which I absolutely hate. I've been wanting to take it out and replace it laminate for the past five years. After starting this project, my DH says, "why don't you take the carpet out of the closet and install tile?" I told him if I take the carpet out, it will all go - including the SR. I recommended that we install laminate instead because it is less expensive and easier to install (since I'm the one who would be doing the tile work myself, I know what THAT involves!)

The real dilemma is - do we go to the extra expense to remove the carpet and replace it with tile or laminate, or just leave it because I know sooner or later we will sell our house and move back to Texas.... Opinions? If you were buying a house, what would you want flooring to be? I know one thing, when we do move, I do not want one inch of carpet anywhere!

I need lot's of light, but overhead and a few "spotlights" for cutting table, sewing
    table, etc.
    This is not the prettiest thing I've ever seen, (hers was not ugly, bc
    she spray painted with gold), but it sure is just what I wanted:
    I came across this pin on Pinterest, where a lady had one of those ceramic light
    fixtures that ppl used to put in closets. You know, white, a couple of screws and
    one light bulb and a chain?
    Well, you can put in a "branch" of these, meaning, since each splitter has two
    sockets, you can add however many you want, BUT this is super important:
    she used 25 watt dome shaped bulbs, bc you do not want to overload that
    orignal socket in the ceiling.

I bought my stuff yesterday and since I bought the new "curly" bulbs, it's
    bright, no heat and I am very pleased with it.
    Scroll down page to find it. It's inexpensive, easy to do (trust me...I am not
    mechanically minded).

http://rainonatinroof.com/2015/02/ea...light-fixture/
    Last edited by Mousie; 06-27-2015 at 06:58 AM.
    It is a blessing, to be a blessing !
    ~Quilters are warm people!!!~
    cheese brings parties together

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...HJV/weight.png

I have a ceiling fan w/light, 3 floor lamps (1 with a magnifying lens) and a desk lamp. Oh yeah, I have a window facing the south. I keep adding lamps as necessary.
    Aronel aka Lee

I have an Ott desk clamp over my Bernina and an Ott desk lamp on my cutting table. No overhead lights in this apt.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    These new twisted light bulbs really mess with my eyes-they feel like there fluttering. Which makes it a real pain to sew and threading a needle is impossible. So I'm back to incandescent bulbs through out the house. My machines are in front of the windows and at night I have a double goose neck floor lamp -3 bulb ceiling light / fan but usually the fan is the only thing on.

Blog Entries
    I have a hanging lamp over my machine, the light on the machine, a small desk lamp that I move as needed, and four windows, but two face north, and two face east, so not much light. I moved the curtain rods down the window twelve inches, to "create" skylights. Perfect!
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

My sewing room has 2 floor lamps with halogen bulbs, an Ott Lite by my sewing machine, an Ott Lite next to my cutting board, recessed overhead lights if needed, and four big windows facing S/W...
    Quilting machine room has a double bulb 8' fixture with daylight bulbs...and two windows.
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Hmmmm, lets see, I have 9 can lights, one drop focus lamp over the sewing table, my Ott on the Desk and one that stands, and the lights on my machine, which I intend to increase by using those strips of lights that stick on with doublesided tape. And LOTS of sunshine

Blog Entries
    I have 26 cannon lights in the ceiling. Then I have several work lights I can add if need be.

At last count, I had 9 lights--not all on at once, however.

Blog Entries
    My sewing room is in the sun room. It has 4 large windows on 2 sides and don't need more light. For night time sewing I have an Ott light directly over my sewing machine and 2 other lamps. I don't do much sewing at night.

My sewing machine is set up in front of a large window. It is actually two standard windows that are side by side. I have a halogen floor lamp, a fluorescent table lamp, and the light on my machine. I have a small Ott light that I can move into the room if I need it. I rarely sew at night so the windows and my machine are all I usually need.

Quote Originally Posted by ladydukes View Post
    I'm with EasyPeasy! There can never be TOO much light as far as I'm concerned! I have two OTT stand lamps, 3 OTT table lights, 2 Ikea small lights, a big magnifying light, a ceiling fan with a light. Recently my DH installed a 4-ft. LED 2-bulb light fixture in my 8x14 sewing room closet. When we bought our house, the sewing room was already painted with one wall purple and the other three walls painted lavender. The closet was painted white.

For five years I kept saying I was going to paint and re-organize my SR closet, but my DH kept discouraging it. (Now I know why). A couple of weeks ago I told him that I was going to bite the bullet and paint. Oh my, what a disaster trying to move all of my sewing paraphernalia out of my SR closet! I have five 72x48x14 chrome shelving units in my SR closet that I unloaded so that I could install heavy duty casters on the shelving units so they would be easier to move around. I got the casters on and put the final coat of cream color paint on yesterday, including the closet. After I get everything back in the closet, I may decide to add another light fixture.

The flooring in my SR and closet is carpeted, which I absolutely hate. I've been wanting to take it out and replace it laminate for the past five years. After starting this project, my DH says, "why don't you take the carpet out of the closet and install tile?" I told him if I take the carpet out, it will all go - including the SR. I recommended that we install laminate instead because it is less expensive and easier to install (since I'm the one who would be doing the tile work myself, I know what THAT involves!)

The real dilemma is - do we go to the extra expense to remove the carpet and replace it with tile or laminate, or just leave it because I know sooner or later we will sell our house and move back to Texas.... Opinions? If you were buying a house, what would you want flooring to be? I know one thing, when we do move, I do not want one inch of carpet anywhere!
    I vote for tile. We removed all the carpet from this new to us house and put tile that looked like hardwood. We love it and the realtor that sold us our house said that kind of tile is more appealing to homebuyers. It's a shame that at our age we also have to look at things we do so that they will help sell our house at a later date. Because we sure won't be changing anything we don't have too. The flooring was the biggest expense of our remodeling, but was well worth it.

I have an overhead light and my Bernina has a nice bright light. If I need any more light I can open my blinds.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast