Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How many light sources in your sewing area?

Quote Originally Posted by ladydukes View Post
    I'm with EasyPeasy! There can never be TOO much light as far as I'm concerned! I have two OTT stand lamps, 3 OTT table lights, 2 Ikea small lights, a big magnifying light, a ceiling fan with a light. Recently my DH installed a 4-ft. LED 2-bulb light fixture in my 8x14 sewing room closet. When we bought our house, the sewing room was already painted with one wall purple and the other three walls painted lavender. The closet was painted white.

For five years I kept saying I was going to paint and re-organize my SR closet, but my DH kept discouraging it. (Now I know why). A couple of weeks ago I told him that I was going to bite the bullet and paint. Oh my, what a disaster trying to move all of my sewing paraphernalia out of my SR closet! I have five 72x48x14 chrome shelving units in my SR closet that I unloaded so that I could install heavy duty casters on the shelving units so they would be easier to move around. I got the casters on and put the final coat of cream color paint on yesterday, including the closet. After I get everything back in the closet, I may decide to add another light fixture.

The flooring in my SR and closet is carpeted, which I absolutely hate. I've been wanting to take it out and replace it laminate for the past five years. After starting this project, my DH says, "why don't you take the carpet out of the closet and install tile?" I told him if I take the carpet out, it will all go - including the SR. I recommended that we install laminate instead because it is less expensive and easier to install (since I'm the one who would be doing the tile work myself, I know what THAT involves!)

The real dilemma is - do we go to the extra expense to remove the carpet and replace it with tile or laminate, or just leave it because I know sooner or later we will sell our house and move back to Texas.... Opinions? If you were buying a house, what would you want flooring to be? I know one thing, when we do move, I do not want one inch of carpet anywhere!
    well that is such a personal choice - carpet vs hard surface. I've never sewn on anything but carpet so for me it would not be a deal breaker for a new house. We are moving to a house that has enough room for me to use a bedroom as a sewing room and not have to share - we are re carpeting and I have the option of hard surface and thought about it but have no problem with carpet. It is totally my choice. We will probably get a low pile or something like Berber. I will have three windows on one wall in that room. I like a lot of light besides windows and overheads. I have a bunch of those IKEA lamps - both versions. One clamps on the table and one has a base. They both have bendable necks to,direct the bright light where I need it. I move them around here but I have no permanent place for my "stuff" so it will be nice to have it all in one space.
    Alyce

Machine light, goose- neck magnifier (Lg.) lamp on machine table, ceiling fan light and wall to wall windows.
    Yooper32 aka: Donna B

Well, for my sewing machine, I have the overhead fan/light combination, the sewing machine's light, and a floor Ott light with the flexible neck, clamp and magnifier, which I love. Behind me sitting at the sewing machine is the window, so not much help at the machine.
    I have a clamp on flex neck lamp on the right end of the sewing desk to help looking at fabrics in that area. I have 2 clamp on lamps on my fabric cabinet, one with flex neck and one not. The one not is aimed at my other desk, which I am soon going to replace with the cutting/ironing table I am working on.
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Overhead light
    2 Stella desk lamps
    1 light on machine
    1 torchiere floor light
    A See & Sew light that sits behind the machine

sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

My main sewing room has the usual light fixture on the ceiling with two 75 watt bulbs. Over my sewing desk I have a 4 foot florescent fixture. Since my sewing desk is built into the former closet area it can't been seen and focuses the light down onto the sewing area. And attached to the shelf my TV sets on, I have a clamp on light shining directly on my sewing machine.
    The other sewing room, we call the Annex has the ceiling fixture with 75 watt bulbs. A floor lamp with 3 lights shining onto my Bailey and the table it sits in. And clamped to the Bailey is an LED lamp.

My husband has plans to install a 4 foot florescent fixture in my main sewing room one day soon.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

I don't think that you mean a halogen light on your Bernina. The halogen lights get very hot very quickly and you would notice it. You would be sweating in your room from the overheads and could burn yourself on the bulb on your machine. I believe that the light on the new Berninas are LED!!!! Very bright!

Power Poster
    I have 6 overhead lights.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2