Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   How OLD were you when you started Quilting?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/how-old-were-you-when-you-started-quilting-t154342.html)

Murphy1 09-21-2011 07:31 PM

Way back in the late 60's I hand sewed the blocks for a Grandmother's flower garden. I didn't know what to do with them, so I put them in a gold paper cardboard box. No idea what happened to the box. Then marriage, teaching, children took my time. I sewed clothes and costumes, but no quilting. Then I retired in 06 and my son said he and his wife were going to have a baby. I decided to make a baby quilt. I looked on the internet and made one, put it together and found out later that binding was put on last. Then I learned about rag quilts and made a dozen of those until I broke my arm. Later, I thought to myself, I bet they have new tech in sewing machines, so I bought a Janome, took some classes and then began classes in quilting. Sooo I guess I really started to quilt in 2009. Now I find myself totally dreaming and creating quilts in my sleep. I love that the blogs I read are by younguns and my guild is a variety of ages. I am 65 and have found a new passion in life after teaching for 35 years.

DebLuvsQuiltng 09-21-2011 07:36 PM

The summer I turned 9, I was attacked by a dog and had stitches in my face. The doctor warned I should not be outside until the stitches healed. My mother had the great idea that I could sew while cooped up inside. I made a doll quilt for myself. My grandmother always quilted so I made Barbie quilts by quilting scraps with paper towels inside for batting. Our church had a quilting bee and at about 12, I began quilting a "real" quilt. That was almost 40 years ago!

mariebaker 09-21-2011 08:00 PM

1981-I made a baby quilt for my daughter. I was 31 years old.

donnalynett 09-21-2011 08:40 PM

Started sewing clothes at age 9, quilting at age 35, quit for a few years and restarted at age 50.

Marilyn Philips 09-21-2011 09:14 PM

I was in my early 70's. Just wish I had started years ago.

Anael 09-22-2011 12:16 AM

I started sewing at about 10 and quilting last year at 58!

annthreecats 09-22-2011 01:01 AM

I've been sewing for 38 years, but I just started my quilting phase, I'm 53.

sewingmom3 09-22-2011 02:18 AM

I started sewing at 8, made my first quilt as a senior in HS and am now 52.

GJoyce 09-22-2011 03:17 AM

LOL I'm one of the old dogs too. Have sewn sense in High School and sewed for 7 kids through the years. Now alone and willing to step out of the comfort zone I want to learn hoe to quilt at 80. Have done a few things at the sewing center with lessons for my new machine for a couple of years and even won a coupe of 1st place winners. One even got to go to State contest, but can't say I am anything but a Would Be Quilter.
GJoyce

GJoyce 09-22-2011 03:17 AM

LOL I'm one of the old dogs too. Have sewn sense in High School and sewed for 7 kids through the years. Now alone and willing to step out of the comfort zone I want to learn hoe to quilt at 80. Have done a few things at the sewing center with lessons for my new machine for a couple of years and even won a coupe of 1st place winners. One even got to go to State contest, but can't say I am anything but a Would Be Quilter.
GJoyce