Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   How warm do you keep your house? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/how-warm-do-you-keep-your-house-t272037.html)

Farm Quilter 11-09-2015 07:43 PM

About 60 in the main living area, with a space heater on me or a toasty 70-75 in my quilting room :) only because I have an electric wall heater up there. I also live in the PNW, on the dry side of Washington and when it gets down around 0, we'll start a fire in the old wood-burning stove in the basement to help the antique oil furnace we have. Even keeping the thermometer low, oil for the furnace will run $600-$750 a month. The first year I was here, we kept the temp at 53...I baked a great deal that winter!! In the summer I won't turn the window a/c unit on until it's over 85 in the house.

aeble 11-09-2015 09:01 PM

68F in winter, 78F in summer. My husband used to have an electric blanket; then he met me. Now I'm the electric blanket if he gets cold while sleeping. Which is a fair trade off, because if I come to bed with cold feet he lets me stick them on him. :)

LavenderBlue 11-09-2015 09:07 PM

72....always!

Shelbie 11-09-2015 09:39 PM

After reading this thread, most of you would freeze at my house which is usually about 62 during the day and cooler (55) at night during the winter. My kitchen is often a little warmer as the oven or dishwasher may be on and the bedrooms are always cold as I like to layer on a couple of quilts rather than turn up the heat. I have a small electric heater that I turn on if I'm sitting at my computer or sewing machine. We have no air conditioning in the summer and have to rely on open windows and a couple of fans.

quiltingshorttimer 11-09-2015 10:28 PM

We live in county in eastern KS--keep the heat at 68-69 in winter and turn on AC when the whole house fan can't keep the inside temp under 85--then the AC gets set at about 78-79. That helps keep the electric bill from being out of control and it's really not uncomfortable. We do layer on some in winter and not in summer and while my DH complains in the summer, he survives!

paoberle 11-10-2015 03:22 AM

Daytime - 66 winter, 78 summer. Nighttime - 58 winter, 76 summer. Windows are open as much as possible.

waltonalice 11-10-2015 04:13 AM

I hate hot weather and I love to wear layers. We keep the upstairs at 58°, which is perfect for me with several layers of blankets and quilts. My husband is cold, so he keeps the electric blanket on all night. Downstairs, it's at 65-66° during the day and 62° at night. If I get cold during the day, I get up and do some stair climbing or vigorous cleaning or walking. We switched to geothermal, which allowed us to have air conditioning for the few summer days in the Catskills when it's too hot.

coffeegirl 11-10-2015 05:11 AM

Your husband is right, 63 is the perfect temperature!

sparkys_mom 11-10-2015 05:47 AM

I moved this year so haven't really gotten a good feel of my new abode. Previously, I was on the ground floor of a condo. Concrete slabs are cool in the summer and COLD in the winter. With ceiling fans I was quite comfortable in the summer around 72-75 degrees. Air moving makes such a difference. In the winter, I pulled up a dog and/or a quilt and used a space heater in my sewing room but was able to keep the thermostat set at 68 for the rest of the place.

Debbie C 11-10-2015 06:01 AM

Now that winter is coming to Long Island, we keep the house at 66-67. We set it to 64 at night and sleep under a fluffy down comforter. Oil is too expensive, so I use an energy efficient Eden Pure quartz heater in our family room