Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How warm do you keep your house?

How warm do you keep your house?

What heat setting do you keep the house at?

Around here it's generally kept at 63 most of the time.My husband can't sleep if its too warm in the house. I, on the other hand sleep under an electric blanket year round. So tonight he asked if I needed the house warmer...

I said around 90 would be nice.
    ...his reply......
    I will be sleeping in the shop on a cot with the dogs. lol

I wear flannel pj bottoms and long sleeves shirts if I get cold or cover up in a fleece snuggley I made.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

Blog Entries
    74 in the winter and 78 in the summer. OMG - 63 year round - I would have to move - just cannot stand to be that cold.
    Last edited by NikkiLu; 11-08-2015 at 07:53 PM.
    Nikki in MO

63 sounds grim to me. I'd never get warm. We keep it at 74 in the summer here in Louisiana. It is cool enough for us. When we have people over we lower it. In the winter it is about 72 in the daytime and 68-70 at night.

Chasing Hawk I see you are in the Pacific Northwest. That's where the grandkids live. They keep the house cold and are all comfortable. They give me heat but they are miserable. The kids say "why is it so hot in here?" Because Grandma needs heat!!
    Last edited by Stitchnripper; 11-08-2015 at 08:01 PM.
    Alyce

Fortunately we live in Socal because we keep the heater off. I am the one that is always freezing and sleep under an electric blanket and bundle up during the day. It is just too expensive to heat the house.
    Anna Quilts

We don't "keep" it at anything in the spring, summer and fall. Our San Diego weather averages 76 degrees - so unless it drops below 60 degrees the heater will come on. So in winter we set the heater during the day to 71 degrees.

I have it at 72. It's a touch cool for me, but it's nice for sleeping under a warm quilt! In the summer, it's usually at 76 or 78.
    Lori

Quote Originally Posted by NikkiLu View Post
    74 in the winter and 78 in the summer. OMG - 63 year round - I would have to move - just cannot stand to be that cold.

Our house has 6" of insulation in the exterior walls as well as the floors and ceiling. So the house stays very comfy usually. When the weather gets in the 20's and below we raise the heat up higher.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
    What heat setting do you keep the house at?

Around here it's generally kept at 63 most of the time.My husband can't sleep if its too warm in the house. I, on the other hand sleep under an electric blanket year round. So tonight he asked if I needed the house warmer..I said around 90 would be nice.
    ...his reply......
    I will be sleeping in the shop on a cot with the dogs. lol

I wear flannel pj bottoms and long sleeves shirts if I get cold or cover up in a fleece snuggley I made.

We have a heat pump and it's set at 68, and we never change it until summer. I'm always cold too. But it's so hard to come up with the money to set it higher for a heating bill, so I layer clothes, wear insulated underwear, sweaters etc. When I sit I'm always wrapped up in a blanket. We have an electric mattress pad with dual controls. Hubby likes his side cool, I set mine on high.
    sewellie

It takes real skill to choke on air, fall upstairs and trip over completely nothing .... I have that skill!!!

My plate may be full, but my cup runneth over with blessings.

Power Poster
    Usually 72 degrees. I raise it up to 75 in the air conditioning in the summer.

Blog Entries
    We keep our temp set at around 74 in the winter, a little lower in the summer.

I find that a mattress heater works a lot better for me than an electric blanket. These work the same as an electric blanket, but are actually mattress pads with the heating element built in. This way heat (which has a natural tendency to rise) is below your body instead of above it. Got one for my brother last winter (Amazon). I think our king size mattress heater came from Sam's Club. The king size has controls for each side of the bed so my dh, who likes it cool, never turns his side on.

70 degrees in the winter and 74-76 in the summer. Trying to keep the gas bill down.

We have a mobile home & learned our lesson the 1st winter. Propane is very expensive to keep it at 72-74. Got a small wood stove & get a couple of cords of wood for the winter. 65 is when the fire get lit. We don't have 'SOLAR' heat, but if it's in the 50's with sun shining we don't need the stove or furnace.

In the summer, we keep the house at 72 or so. Winter, is usually at 70 during the days.
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

We keep our heat at 68 during the day and 65 at night. In the summer we put the aircon at 72 during the day and 69 at night.
    I am the warm one at our house. In the winter I sleep with one blanket and during the summer with only a sheet. And I always have my feet sticking out the side. My husband sleeps with his side of the electric blanket on around 9 months out of the year. He always has our bed quilt on top of the electric blanket, and sometimes he adds another flannel quilt. He says he likes to have the weight of 2 or 3 blankets. I think he is a nut, and he thinks I am a weirdo.

ours stays at 68 in winter and the a/c is set at 75 hubby complains a little but when up and doing stuff it is prefect temp

Blog Entries
    Here in Maine we keep it at 68 unless the wind is blowing across the ridge where we live, then we turn it up to 70. At night we sleep with a slightly open window and a fan on for white noise. We lived in a city in MA and never have gotten used to total quiet at night :-)

Blog Entries
    I get cold, too, and layer on the qults. Then I can't move. At night it's 70 and during the day it's 74. We're talking AC here. In the winter, it goes to 68 for heat at night and 72 in the daytime. My blood has 'thinned' since moving here from WA state!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

No heat on when it reaches 50 or 60 out it is usually around 70 inside to warm for me at night no blankets, shorty pj's year around. Hubby has to have the blankets or quilt. we burn wood in the fall and winter and it gets HOT if I bake something in the oven I have to open windows. I like it cooler at night but am a short sleeve person. you will often find me in shorts in the winter when the wood heat is going!

We live in a very old house, but have added maximum insulation as far as possible. After many years you learn that what the thermostat in the dining room says is not really accurate for the rest of the house. Mostly in winter, that is October - May in our state, we keep it set for just under 65. But most of the house stays pretty comfortable. Upstairs is cooler, but we have a small electric heater to use a short time before I go up to get ready for bed. I'm the heavy covers lover, hubby likes lighter weight on him. Much of the year we use a down comforter with my favorite quilt on top when it's cold. When guests come, I crank up the heat to 70 or more because they expect it, but pretty soon I'm sweating like crazy. So much cheaper to wear a sweater or fleece than to blow all that expensive oil!

We keep ours at about 64 - 66. That's way to high for my husband but it's the lowest I will go. Our solution is he watches TV in front room which is cooler and has the window open. I am in the back room with a quilt.

Blog Entries
    When we are at home the heat is set at 66-68 degrees.

When we are gone during the day (at work) it is set at
    60 (depending on how cold it is.
    Louise - Ya-ya to Zachary April 13 2015. I collect mugs from the U.S. and around the world. Also collect handmade pincushions, sewing/quilting themed fabrics, and fabric in general.

I live in So Cal and I have never used the heat yet in the 2 years I live here, EVEN when it snowed 12/31/14!! Right now it is a comfortable 76 degrees since I didn't leave the kitchen window open last night. I thought fall would NEVER arrive and had the A/C set at 80.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

You ladies would die in my house. We don't even have heat, just a woodstove. We usually make a fire when it's 60deg. inside. Our downstairs stays nice most of the time, but the upstairs is cold so we bundle up. If I get too cold I run a small ceramic heater in whatever room I happen to be in. I also use one to heat the bathroom before I take a shower. Our room is over the garage and gets near freezing, which we find excellent sleeping weather. We love flannel sheets and a featherbed plus several blankets. The last couple of years I have used a heating blanket, but keep only my side warm.

We heat with 10 face cord a year for $650, and still have a utility bill of $150 a month, so I would not want to pay for central heat. And one thing I love about heating with wood is that it is silent...I hate hearing a furnace run. Different strokes for different folks!

I WISH I could put my heaters on high, but it would trip the circuit breakers, and then there would not be any heat. If I can get it to 65, I guess I can stand it.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Thermostat is set at 72 during the day and 68 at night.
    Sew many Quilts.......so little time!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast