Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Chritmas idea for Parents

Chritmas idea for Parents

Many years ago I bought each of my parents a book called Reflections from a Mothers Heart and a Fathers Legacy they had a page for each day of the year but also questions such as What did you do on Christmas, What is the strangest thing you have ever seen, Do you remember a favorite Dress.... Unfortunately my Mom put hers way after just a couple pages and she passed away unexpectedly I found my Dad's by his chair and Pulled it out and asked him to please continue writing in it He has done alot already. He is concerned his writing is like "chicken scratch" and I told him that just makes it more special to me. I sure wish mom had filled hers out. There are so many things that you just never ask about their childhood. I strongly recommend this for parents!

I agree. I wish I had asked my Grandmother (Dad's mom) a lot more questions about her life. Her father died before she was born so she was very close to her Grandfather who must have lived thru the Civil War. So much family history is lost.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I bought these for my parents years ago. Mom did hers almost immediately and bugged by dad to do his. He ended up dictating a lot of it to my mother, so we have many of his thoughts and memories. I'm so glad we have these since they both passed away 15-20 years ago. Even my brother (who is not very interested in family history) read them and commented. I am glad both completed tem.

Recently found the book that was given to my Mom. It was so interesting to read what she had written. She is now in assisted living -- I'm going to take the book, ask her questions and fill it out for her. It should give us some interesting things to talk about!

Quote Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 View Post
    Recently found the book that was given to my Mom. It was so interesting to read what she had written. She is now in assisted living -- I'm going to take the book, ask her questions and fill it out for her. It should give us some interesting things to talk about!
    Awesome idea! Enjoy your conversations. Sure beat chatting about the weather!
    sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Blog Entries
    I purchased a similar book for my grandparents, but since my grandmother suffers from arthritis she found it difficult to write. So I set my camcorder on a tripod, poured cups of coffee (tea for her) and asked them the questions. Not only do I now have their memories preserved, I have their voices, their laughter, the looks they exchanged, etc.

Peckish, What a wonderful thing to do. I bet you had a very interesting afternoon with them.

What a wonderful idea....thanks for sharing......

half.com has this for $.75 and higher if anyone is interested. I'm buying it for my 94 yo aunt, Mom and all of her sisters are gone, but I so enjoyed my visit with Aunt Dot in her home last week.

I know I wouldn't want a journal and be expected to write my memories and wouldn't do it. I tell my kids and grands a lot of I remember this and that and what happened when, but not interested in writing about them. They can ask and write it themselves.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Unfortunately both my parents are dead. So I don't have to worry about presents for them.

I made journals for my parents, I did not ask them to write in them. I visited them often and as we talked I recorded the conversations and wrote them in the journals myself. My parents wold have never written in the journals. If you want to know things you have to go visit them and ask, ask specific questions to get them to tell you in detail.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I started a journal shortly after my first son was born. He read some of it when he was about 13. It made him understand a little more and he realized then that I listened to everything he said even when he wasn't saying anything. There are memories of conversations and things he had totally forgotten. Some had photos stapled. It's in a bank (memory) box. I have some things on a computer journal. Most are dated. It's fun just to go back and read. My grands have read some inserts. Great reference for medical also. Doesn't have to be everyday just certain moments.

A generic gift card, pay a month or 2 of utility bills, continue a newspaper subscription would be helpful for those on limited incomes.