Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How warm do you keep your house?

About 60 in the main living area, with a space heater on me or a toasty 70-75 in my quilting room only because I have an electric wall heater up there. I also live in the PNW, on the dry side of Washington and when it gets down around 0, we'll start a fire in the old wood-burning stove in the basement to help the antique oil furnace we have. Even keeping the thermometer low, oil for the furnace will run $600-$750 a month. The first year I was here, we kept the temp at 53...I baked a great deal that winter!! In the summer I won't turn the window a/c unit on until it's over 85 in the house.

68F in winter, 78F in summer. My husband used to have an electric blanket; then he met me. Now I'm the electric blanket if he gets cold while sleeping. Which is a fair trade off, because if I come to bed with cold feet he lets me stick them on him.
    "If you have built castles in the air, your work will not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them." --Henry David Thoreau

72....always!

After reading this thread, most of you would freeze at my house which is usually about 62 during the day and cooler (55) at night during the winter. My kitchen is often a little warmer as the oven or dishwasher may be on and the bedrooms are always cold as I like to layer on a couple of quilts rather than turn up the heat. I have a small electric heater that I turn on if I'm sitting at my computer or sewing machine. We have no air conditioning in the summer and have to rely on open windows and a couple of fans.
    Shelbie from the High County in Southern Ontario

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    We live in county in eastern KS--keep the heat at 68-69 in winter and turn on AC when the whole house fan can't keep the inside temp under 85--then the AC gets set at about 78-79. That helps keep the electric bill from being out of control and it's really not uncomfortable. We do layer on some in winter and not in summer and while my DH complains in the summer, he survives!

Daytime - 66 winter, 78 summer. Nighttime - 58 winter, 76 summer. Windows are open as much as possible.

I hate hot weather and I love to wear layers. We keep the upstairs at 58, which is perfect for me with several layers of blankets and quilts. My husband is cold, so he keeps the electric blanket on all night. Downstairs, it's at 65-66 during the day and 62 at night. If I get cold during the day, I get up and do some stair climbing or vigorous cleaning or walking. We switched to geothermal, which allowed us to have air conditioning for the few summer days in the Catskills when it's too hot.

Your husband is right, 63 is the perfect temperature!

I moved this year so haven't really gotten a good feel of my new abode. Previously, I was on the ground floor of a condo. Concrete slabs are cool in the summer and COLD in the winter. With ceiling fans I was quite comfortable in the summer around 72-75 degrees. Air moving makes such a difference. In the winter, I pulled up a dog and/or a quilt and used a space heater in my sewing room but was able to keep the thermostat set at 68 for the rest of the place.
    Pat

Now that winter is coming to Long Island, we keep the house at 66-67. We set it to 64 at night and sleep under a fluffy down comforter. Oil is too expensive, so I use an energy efficient Eden Pure quartz heater in our family room

Blog Entries
    My house is a little warmer right now than what I like only because my daughter just moved back in and she has twin preemie boys. I don't want those little ones to get sick. Usually I don't keep it too warm because the only thing I like about the cold weather is being able to wear sweaters, hoodies and furry socks and also going to the faucet and getting a cold glass of water where ice isn't needed.
    Judy

We keep ours at 71 in winter and 74 in summer, but I am having trouble staying warm this fall (new medication). Hopefully, this will moderate as I go through the winter.

The back, newer part of the house, which we use the most now that all the kids have moved out 72-74 during the day, 68 at night.
    The front, old part of the house, that has it's own furnace and my sewing room 74 when I'm sewing, 68 when no one is in that part of the house.

The last 2 winters, here in Ohio, we've had something happen that hasn't happened in the 35 years we've lived here - the pipes to the upstairs bath, in the old part of the house, FROZE.
    My husband built an airtight panel that we open when the temp is forecast to be -10 or lower. We close it in the morning, and it gets closed on those extremely frigid nights (the pipes are behind that panel)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    You know that feeling when you've finished all your quilting projects and your studio is perfectly clean???? Me neither.

It's not how fast you sew, it's how well you sew fast! Wait, I think that's supposed to be MOW!

Keep mine at 68 unless it gets 0 then i might put it on 70 and use my fan on me.

Winter - 64 during the day, and 54 at night. We also have a programmable thermostat that kicks on about 30 minutes before we get up, so we don't get up to a 54 degree house. We also spend our evenings in the family room, with a gas fireplace, and will use that in the winter. We stay comfortable.

Summer - about 76-78, depending on how active we are. We have a whole house fan, so don't turn on the AC until the outside temp or dew point doesn't drop below 70 at night.

Blog Entries
    68 to 72, year round. BUT where I live I rarely have to turn on heat or AC. I like it cool when I sleep.
    Jackie
    Lover of Scrappy, Chocolate and Wine

Blog Entries
    during the day about 67 or 68. turn it down to 60 at night. can't afford a higher heating bill.

68 to 70 in winter and 78-80 summertime. Luckily here in central FL the winter is not as big a thing as the summer. I too feel the cold and DH doesn't as much.

I usually keep mine at 62 around the clock unless it gets really cold outside...then I may splurge and move it to 64 :0!

I keep it 60 at night and 65 or below when we're up and about in the winter. Summer we only have room air conditioners.
    A dog is not "almost human" and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such.

Oh my gosh, I would freeze to death at the temps you gals keep in the 60's. We have propane heat and try to keep it as low as we can, but anything below 71 in the winter is toooooooo cold, even layering clothes on. Right now we have it on 71, but when it really gets cold will probably put it on 72. We have the Eden Pure and another quartz heater and they really help in the room I am sitting in and are very economical to run. The summer time my hubby likes it to be about 74. I could use it higher, but keep a throw by my chair or in it to cover up with if reading or watching tv. Last winter we had to stretch our propane that we had contracted as it went to almost 7.00 a gal if we had to buy more over our contract, and I nearly froze to death. I could not get enough clothes on to get warm so that is when we bought the quartz heaters. They were a life saver and very economical to use. I prefer the summer over winter anytime, but really love the spring and fall seasons. The older I get the more heat I want!

It is currently being kept at 72. I am plenty warm but DH is freezing. I just have a hard time bumping it up because of cost. We drop it to 64 for sleep and kept it at 78 during the summer. I, too, throw on a sweater if I'm feeling a bit chilly......isn't that what they are for?

66 - 68 in the winter plus occasional extra spot heaters and 78ish in the summer........plus ceiling fans/standing fans.
    Jennifer: Organized in my dreams.
    🌷RIP dear Tigger....you are missed!
    Buddybear's Mom ...Yorkie Fur Baby

I live in Iowa and once I get a chill, usually in November, I can't get warm until summer. I have a sister that lives in Northern CA and keeps her house at 63 all year around. I absolutely freeze when I am there. As soon as they leave for work, i usually set the heat at about 72 , just to take the chill off and then I set it back. I have often wondered if their electric bill is higher when I am there.

Our system is set to 70 degrees year round during the day and 65 degrees from 11 pm to 5 am. We have a wood burning insert in the fireplace that we use in extreme cold or when the power is out. We are all electric. The insert will keep our whole house very comfortable in cold weather. DH made a stacked wood fence going from tree to tree in our side yard so we have plenty of wood. He has to replace the oldest wood every few years if we don't burn it. I wouldn't be living in a home I couldn't afford to keep cool or warm to my preference.
    Last edited by Onebyone; 11-11-2015 at 06:21 AM.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast