Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Hubbard Squash (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/hubbard-squash-t211589.html)

QuiltnNan 01-21-2013 08:51 AM

Hubbard Squash

1 Attachment(s)
I was gifted with two of these Hubbard Squashes. I gave one to my DD and she and her family had family fun by putting theirs in a clean trash bag and dropping it off the deck to the driveway to break it up for baking. I prefer baking mine whole, so did that yesterday while quilting. After the quilting, I was too tired to scoop and mash it last night, so did that this morning. Since the temp today will not go above zero, I'm using my deck to freeze the six large packages. This should last me a good long time... yummmm
[ATTACH=CONFIG]389722[/ATTACH]

cjr 01-21-2013 10:01 AM

I grew up in PA rural. These were a wintwer staple. Hard to come by here. But I would not trade the sunshine for squash. Enjoy!! May I pop in when you are serving your hubbard?? Love them

SouthPStitches 01-21-2013 10:45 AM

Oh those Hubbard squash! Definitely the best tasting and textured of the winter squash but so much work. They grow so large, it would be easy getting a hernia carrying them around. Surprised your driveway doesn't have cracks in it now. Almost need to run those stinkers through a table saw to get them in half as no ordinary knife will do the job. You have some good eating ahead of you. Do you add butter, brown sugar, salt and pepper?

Tartan 01-21-2013 11:04 AM

Mmmmm, good! I like to do freezer bags full of butternut squash but I cut them in chunks raw. A lot of people find it difficult to cut up squash but I cheat. I use a huge butcher knife and my kitchen hammer. You need a butcher knife that has the metal all the way through the handle and big enough that the tip extends past the squash. I hold the knife handle while hitting the knife tip to go down through the squash. After it is in slices, it is easier to peel for the freezer bag.

QuiltnNan 01-21-2013 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by SouthPStitches (Post 5802621)
Oh those Hubbard squash! Definitely the best tasting and textured of the winter squash but so much work. They grow so large, it would be easy getting a hernia carrying them around. Surprised your driveway doesn't have cracks in it now. Almost need to run those stinkers through a table saw to get them in half as no ordinary knife will do the job. You have some good eating ahead of you. Do you add butter, brown sugar, salt and pepper?

i would love to add those ingredients.... unfortunately, i'm on a diet for the next few months :)

Sandra in Minnesota 01-21-2013 01:14 PM

That kept you busy during this below zero cold spell. Always wondered how people cut them up. Off the deck onto the driveway sounds good to me! Stay warm.

wraez 01-21-2013 01:19 PM

I don't think I have ever eaten this kind of squash but I know my dad says he loved the way his mom (my grandmother) made it when he was a kid ... they had a large farm and a large garden.

I remember gramma making a tasty pie she called 'ground cherry' pie ... the fruit was green and had a papery-lantern like covering ... she grew them in her garden too.

nativetexan 01-21-2013 01:49 PM

Oh my Husband used to do all the cooking and had a garden. We ate a lot of Squash. Now I cook and don't do squash. pretty though!!

QuiltnNan 01-21-2013 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by wraez (Post 5802938)
I don't think I have ever eaten this kind of squash but I know my dad says he loved the way his mom (my grandmother) made it when he was a kid ... they had a large farm and a large garden.

I remember gramma making a tasty pie she called 'ground cherry' pie ... the fruit was green and had a papery-lantern like covering ... she grew them in her garden too.

the Hubbard tastes very much like the Butternut, which is my all-time favorite.

you brought back memories with the ground cherries. i had to look it up... the true name is Physalis. the source i found says that it can be used as a hallucinogen and is outlawed in Louisiana for purposes other than decoration :) :)

postal packin' mama 01-21-2013 11:23 PM

" I prefer baking mine whole..."

question: if you bake it whole, isn't there a chance it could explode in the oven if there's no vent for steam to escape?
Like a potato can explode in the oven if there are no vent slits.