Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Humming Birds (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/humming-birds-t278950.html)

Blue Bell 05-25-2016 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by sash (Post 7559068)
I loved having feeder, but ants liked it even better so had to take it down. Any solutions?

I bought a little cup that you can attach to the hook and you fill it with water. Place the feeder under the cup which has a S hook below the water cup and ants can't get to the feeder. Cost about $5. Other birds like to drink from the cup.

My birds arrived on April 29th, last year it was May 3rd.

Snooze2978 05-26-2016 06:44 AM

I thought they passed us by this year too but got a glimpse of one on Monday. Haven't seen him/her since. Its gotten hot and lots of rain here this week.

Evie 05-26-2016 07:43 AM

Love those little hummers. I only get a few of them, but they're around all year long.

Geri B 05-26-2016 09:24 AM

I've hung my fuschia plants hoping to attract, but not a one yet.....just dug out the feeder. Will hang that today. Hopefully.....

Blue Bell 05-26-2016 01:01 PM

Lynnie, are you going to put out a feeder? I have been feeding them for about 10 years. The population has increased over the years, slowly. Last year, I had 14 all at one time. Used over 60 pounds of sugar. So much fun to watch. But this year, I have a bully. He just sits on the perch and doesn't let another bird land on the feeder. He is usually at the feeder on the back side of the house. He is not too smart, for he doesn't know that I have a feeder on the front of the house.
If you decide to put a feeder out, you don't need the red water that is sold. I have been advised not to use red colored water. Mix up your own, 4 parts water, one part sugar. Heat until sugar is dissolved.

trolleystation 05-26-2016 01:59 PM

A large male been at our bleeding heart bush for about a week now. Not much for them to feed on yet.

maviskw 05-26-2016 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by sash (Post 7559068)
I loved having feeder, but ants liked it even better so had to take it down. Any solutions?

If you hang your feeder in a tree, make a "mote" of coffee grounds around the trunk. They won't walk through that.

Anniedeb 05-26-2016 09:13 PM

We saw them last weekend at our cabin in northern Minnesota. The come to both our glass feeder, and our plastic one.
Love watching them!

jmoore 05-27-2016 02:17 AM

Just saw my first hummingbird here in Maine this morning too, right outside my laundry room window. We are having a cool spring...can't wait for it to warm up a bit more.

KenZ 05-27-2016 10:12 AM

Here in Southern California, we have hummingbird’s yeararound. Migrations visit, a few times a year and over load our eight feeders.The Orioles migrate every year and share the feeders in the summer. We useabout eight cups of juice a day. We mix one cup of cane sugar to four cups ofboiling water. I convert paint can lids to ant traps, by using eye hooks andcalking.