Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Humor? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/humor-t279283.html)

bearisgray 06-04-2016 11:28 AM

Humor?

What strikes you funny?

Or what does not strike you funny that is supposed to be amusing/entertaining?

Some of the things that don't make me laugh:

Pie in the face, slip on a banana peel kind of humor.
The falls and crotch hits featured on America's Funniest Home Videos

Some of the things that do make me laugh:

George Carlin
Bob Newhart

(Those two do date me!)
Jeff Foxworthy

We have the economy cable TV package - and the picking are pretty slim - but we discovered MEtv - where shows like Andy Griffith Show, Laverne and Shirley, Gunsmoke - are shown. The humor seemed a lot gentler then.

marge954 06-04-2016 11:43 AM

America's Funniest Home Videos is not funny to me either. George Carlin, Gallagher, Jeff Foxworthy and Jeff Dunham make me laugh. A really good joke will make me laugh until I cry. We have an outdoor antenna so we watch the older shows too. The movie that makes me laugh every time is "As Good As It Gets". The scene where Jack Nicholson is packing to go on a trip and has all the clothes laid out neatly on the bed almost got my and my sisters thrown out of the theatre. We where crying and howling because that scene was so "us".

cjsews 06-04-2016 12:51 PM

Wow. I forgot about George Carlin. He was great. Also loved listening to Lilly Tomlin in her early years. And then Carol Burnett is a classic. There were some that I thought were great until they decided they had to throw a lot of cussing into the routines. that just ruined it Oh yeah, do you remember Red Skeleton? He was hilarious

quiltsRfun 06-04-2016 01:46 PM

I like Jeanne Robertson. You can find her on YouTube. Her stories about "left brain" are so funny.

Monika 06-04-2016 02:07 PM

I agree that I do not find the "people getting hurt" thing funny. I like a dry wit.

ptquilts 06-04-2016 02:52 PM

I like sketch comedy - MadTV, Kids in the Hall, Key & Peele. The Red Green show from Canada, which was on for YEARS and all the episodes are now on Youtube for free!!

British comedies - I love Last of the Summer Wine, Are You Being Served, and a few others. NOT Keeping Up Appearances, which to me is a one-joke show. Maybe I am prejudiced against it because NH public TV ran it non-stop for decades, I am not kidding.

orangeroom 06-04-2016 03:23 PM

I don't watch a lot of tv or cable these days. I like comedians who take every day life/situations and make them funny. Even though drama and bad morals/ethics are synonymous with him lately, I really like Bill Cosby's humor. I still can't get a certain skit out of my head "...push, push..." I also remember getting that album in the mail from Columbia House as one of my freebies! Gosh that makes me feel old! Hmph! I like sarcastic humor.

I do not like slap stick or dry humor. Even though everyone else in my family loves movies like Airplane or any Rodney Dangerfield movie...those aren't my cup of tea.

miriam 06-05-2016 03:58 AM

Anything by Heywood Banks. You can find his videos on Utube. Good clean fun songs.

TexasSunshine 06-05-2016 04:36 AM

Jeanne Robertson is very good and clean.

Wanabee Quiltin 06-05-2016 04:57 AM

We love The Big Bang Theory. DH and I always have a good laugh while watching that show.