Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   I almost cried (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/i-almost-cried-t83542.html)

trisha 12-17-2010 07:28 PM

My GS is 14 and we have always had a stocking for him at our house. Still do for my daughters too, even tho they are grown. This has just always been our tradition, and I couldn't do without it. Enjoy every minute you can with them....you will be creating memories for them as well.

mom-6 12-17-2010 07:32 PM

We alwsys have some part of Christmas at my house, whether it is on Christmas day or not. Whoever it is that has 26 stockings has me beat though! I thought I was doing pretty good with 13 or 14 on my mantel and the adjacent bookcases.
Finding goodies to put in the stockings is part of the fun of Christmas.

sunflower126 12-17-2010 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
My kids get stockings from us and my Mom. When we were on good terms with the in-laws there would be stockings over there for the kids too. I wouldn't have it any other way. I think you should give your grand kids stockings with lots of goodies in them. If your not comfortable with it then ask your DD if it's ok. It never hurts to ask!!

My Mom made stockings for her grandkids and us adults for quite a long time. I have continued the tradition with mine. Now that they are getting older, the 18 year old is getting some extra cash in a little felt stocking--too hard to come up with something for his stocking. And since my daughter and I tended to put the same things in her kids stockings we decided a couple of years ago to go together and do theirs. They can't open them until we get there though. I quite doing the adults when the grandkids got to be too many. I would ask your daughter what she thinks. She may just like to have the extra helping hand.

pittsburgpam 12-17-2010 10:06 PM

I'll ask her if she'd like me to pick up things for the kids. I know money is tight so maybe she would welcome it.

If it was my house it would be different.

sueisallaboutquilts 12-17-2010 10:24 PM

I'm so glad you will be spending Christmas with your family!!
I have no grands yet, well, I have the furry ones lol
My good friend wanted to have stockings at her house for her grands but the parents didn't want the kids to have them at both houses. So she graciously let it go. I'm taking notes from her to be a good mother-in-law someday :D:D

pennijanine 12-17-2010 11:35 PM

Pam, just make sure you drive while it is still light out. Fog on highway 4 is treacherous!! Hope you have a great time with the little ones!!

TN Donna 12-17-2010 11:55 PM

Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! by all means go. It is a priviledge for you to enjoy. I have made my grandkids 12, 11 & 9 all new stocking for my house this year. My one daughter has been married 5 years and has not had kids so may not be able to. I am going tolet her stuff stockings for me this year.

oldhag 12-18-2010 12:15 AM

My DMIL makes a Christmas bag for me, but never had stockings for my kids. I look forward to my special bag and my kids and grands now loved to help me open the treats After I open the bag and unwrap all the little goodies inside, I neatly fold the bag and return it to her. It has had the same name tag on it since she first started it for me over 30 years ago. I bet your DD would be thrilled to get a stocking from you. It would bring back many happy memories of her childhood.

Mickie612 12-18-2010 05:49 AM

Several years ago we started a tradition that everyone has to buy everyone else a gift for the stocking for about a $l.00.

WE have graduated from stocking to baskets but it is really more fun than the regular gifts. I watch all year for some really neat stuff. This year I made the adults pot holders.

eiltcoq 12-18-2010 06:55 AM

Enjoy as much time as you can with the grandkids. They are only young for a short time. Your daughter is very thoughtful
to invite you to spend the night. Eiltcoq.