Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   I am not a seamstress (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/i-am-not-seamstress-t101689.html)

ritamaew 02-21-2011 08:40 AM

Thanks for your replys. Gotta practice the little word--no.
Rita

kathy 02-21-2011 08:49 AM

I started out as a seamstress so I've always had the same problem, I absolutely HATE doing alterations so it's easy for me to just say no. I used to be afraid of hurting peoples feelings but as I get older I don't really care much any more.

julie 02-21-2011 08:50 AM

My dear MIL, God rest her soul, told people that while her 8 children were growing up, she made most of their clothes. When they were grown, she stopped sewing for necessity and began to sew for pleasure. Everybody understood.

akrogirl 02-21-2011 08:56 AM

My old trainer always came to me when she needed to have a western costume altered for one of her clients. I quite enjoyed the challenge, but did say no on occasion when the alteration essentially involved a complete re-sew :-)

Mazda 02-21-2011 09:10 AM

I am not a seamstress! Piecing a quilt is just straight lines...at least for me. I even take my own clothes to be altered.

Christine27 02-21-2011 09:53 AM

My mom had a "friend" who would bring a garbage bag full of clothing needing mending and alterations, at no cost to her, of course! And of course, my mom never thought she could just say "No." (Thank goodness for one area where I don't take after her!) Anyway, the last time, this "friend" brought her favorite satin gym shorts. The satin seams had frayed terribly. By the time my mom trimmed the frayed fabric, the shorts were significantly smaller. I don't think the "friend" asked my mom to mend again, after that!

np3 02-21-2011 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by kathy
I started out as a seamstress so I've always had the same problem, I absolutely HATE doing alterations so it's easy for me to just say no. I used to be afraid of hurting peoples feelings but as I get older I don't really care much any more.

I used to make all of my daughters clothes. Loved doing it. But didn't like to alter. After getting stuck doing it for years because I didn't want to turn anyone down when they asked, I learned to say No. What a relief! I simply said I don't do that anymore.

BKrenning 02-21-2011 10:36 AM

Look them straight in the eye and ask if they would trust Picasso to paint their house. If that fails, then tell them the truth--you don't know how/don't want to.

MistyMarie 02-21-2011 10:43 AM

My husband, after sewing patches on his uniforms and altering his pants (because they come to us unhemmed), began offering my services to his buddies. I wanted to be nice, so I started doing this. Instead of them giving me something as a thank you, they usually brought my husband a six pack of beer, or a bottle of Jack Daniels. Finally, I told my husband that he was welcome to learn how to do it himself, but enough was enough. If he did it, they could give him beer, but if I still had to do it, they had to give me a gift certificate to Jo-Anns instead of beer. After that, my husband didn't offer my services any more.

ckcowl 02-21-2011 10:57 AM

mine finally quit asking :thumbup:
i have one cousin who still thinks i should do mending for him...i have a pair of his pants on a closet shelf...been there for 3 years now,..they need a new zipper,..when i see him he usually has a new stack of mending...and tells me about it. i simply say, "Ya, i bet you do have more....i still have that pair of pants you want a new zipper in...if i ever get those done maybe i'll take some more"--he usually laughs and says...oh, ok...well if you ever have time...i would pay you...
everyone else gave up long ago on getting anything mended, with one (and only one) exception...my 97 year old gentlman i take care of...i hem, sew on buttons, anything he needs...he's (different/special) oh, i did finally (only took 1 1/2 years) mend a pair of hubby's pants.
i just tell anyone who asks...it may take me a year or so to get to it...that is usually deterrent enough :-D