Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   I am so cheap .... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/i-am-so-cheap-t148317.html)

Faren 08-27-2011 01:14 PM

I too just don't like to spend much on packaging and cards.
If I feel like I need a card I will make one. Usually just a basic 5 min one from stamps. I buy the end of the roll from newspapers and use that for packing and wrapping paper, stamps again. If you have little ones let them color on it! Also use the newspaper for patterns.
Men really don't care about the packaging, they would rather you spend more money on the gift!

amandasgramma 08-27-2011 01:16 PM

Okay --- I was a teenager in the 60s -- exactly WHAT do you mean by "reefer unit"?????????????????????? ROLMAO! A reefer is a marijuana cig!!!!!

ptquilts 08-27-2011 01:17 PM

refrigerator (train car) or (truck)

Glassquilt 08-27-2011 01:19 PM

We reuse boxes until they fall apart. One is a Montgomery Wards box with Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer on it. Everybody in the family knows which gifts are from G'pa because they are wrapped in the Wall Street Journal.

Murphy 08-27-2011 01:19 PM

What a perfectly clever thing to do. Nothing cheap about that. He will love his gifts and you will love retaining the wrappings. This is a win, win for everyone (smile). Thank you for sharing.

hobbykat1955 08-27-2011 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Way to go!! All recyclable!!!! No Waste!

Ditto...my husband too would understand and love it...I love it...you made me laugh

TonnieLoree 08-27-2011 01:30 PM

Not cheap at all. I hope he enjoys them.

marknfran 08-27-2011 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
It's my husbands birthday in a few days. I went out and bought him some model trains that I think (hope) he will like. I know he's wanted a steam engine ... but is it *this* engine? Not sure. Another steam engine and a reefer unit also caught my eye ... so I got all three.

Anyway ... spend 3 figures on the gift but I'm too cheap to buy anything to wrap it in (such a waste IMO).

So I put it in a shoe box - which I will need back to house the shoes again.

Box was slightly too large so I stuffed it with batting scraps - which I'll need back again because I use those a lot to practice FMQ patterns.

I wrapped the box in fabric - which I will need back again because it's "stash".

Can't tape fabric so I tied it with cording - which I'll need back again because I want to pipe something.

The upside is I know he will agree with my frugality :)

You are just like me!!! :thumbup:

DogHouseMom 08-27-2011 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
Okay --- I was a teenager in the 60s -- exactly WHAT do you mean by "reefer unit"?????????????????????? ROLMAO! A reefer is a marijuana cig!!!!!

Well you can fill it with what ever you want Dee :)

A "reefer" - or perhaps my spelling was a Freudian slip :) .. a "refer" is a refrigerated car!!

thequilteddove 08-27-2011 02:31 PM

Gee and when I do that I just think I'm creative! Never once thought I was be'n cheap lol