Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   I am so cheap .... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/i-am-so-cheap-t148317.html)

DogHouseMom 08-27-2011 12:51 PM

It's my husbands birthday in a few days. I went out and bought him some model trains that I think (hope) he will like. I know he's wanted a steam engine ... but is it *this* engine? Not sure. Another steam engine and a reefer unit also caught my eye ... so I got all three.

Anyway ... spend 3 figures on the gift but I'm too cheap to buy anything to wrap it in (such a waste IMO).

So I put it in a shoe box - which I will need back to house the shoes again.

Box was slightly too large so I stuffed it with batting scraps - which I'll need back again because I use those a lot to practice FMQ patterns.

I wrapped the box in fabric - which I will need back again because it's "stash".

Can't tape fabric so I tied it with cording - which I'll need back again because I want to pipe something.

The upside is I know he will agree with my frugality :)

Jim's Gem 08-27-2011 12:52 PM

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Way to go!! All recyclable!!!! No Waste!

AllStitchedUp 08-27-2011 12:55 PM

Are you making him a card or buying him one? LOL

Connie in CO 08-27-2011 12:55 PM

Opps,sorry.

ckcowl 08-27-2011 12:59 PM

that's how i wrap about everything-
or i make a tote bag- or pillow cases to use to package gifts- everyone in my world who receive gifts are used to my fabric wrapping-gifting---it has become quite a ...
hmmmm i don't know what to call it- but i know they all wait wondering just what their package will be this time :)

loves_2_quilt 08-27-2011 01:00 PM

When my hubbie and I were first married and too poor to buy anniversary cards we would go to the card store and find the "one" and give it to the other to read, put it back, and say Happy Anniversary!

Originally Posted by AllStitchedUp
Are you making him a card or buying him one? LOL

craftybear 08-27-2011 01:01 PM

great idea for recyling and not waste $$ on wrapping paper and tape

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
It's my husbands birthday in a few days. I went out and bought him some model trains that I think (hope) he will like. I know he's wanted a steam engine ... but is it *this* engine? Not sure. Another steam engine and a reefer unit also caught my eye ... so I got all three.

Anyway ... spend 3 figures on the gift but I'm too cheap to buy anything to wrap it in (such a waste IMO).

So I put it in a shoe box - which I will need back to house the shoes again.

Box was slightly too large so I stuffed it with batting scraps - which I'll need back again because I use those a lot to practice FMQ patterns.

I wrapped the box in fabric - which I will need back again because it's "stash".

Can't tape fabric so I tied it with cording - which I'll need back again because I want to pipe something.

The upside is I know he will agree with my frugality :)

judy_68 08-27-2011 01:03 PM

I love what you did to wrap it. I won't buy wrapping paper either. Such a waste of money.

Vanuatu Jill 08-27-2011 01:05 PM

I wrapped many of my Xmas presies last year in Xmas fabric, and asked family memebers for them back! I did, however, throw the ribbons away! Felt good about not contributing to the after-Xmas trash, and didn't spend on wrapping paper that just gets ripped up anyway!!

bearisgray 08-27-2011 01:08 PM

:thumbup: :lol: