Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   I am so confused by my new roses.. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/i-am-so-confused-my-new-roses-t251086.html)

tessagin 08-01-2014 09:02 AM

Love the transformation. Probably happening with the placement and timing of the heat and sun of the day. Looks like a beautiful surprise to wake up to in the morning!

lfstamper 08-01-2014 09:07 AM

WOW - like a light show! Very beautiful

MargeD 08-01-2014 12:39 PM

I just think the rose is trying on new dresses for the trellis. LOL. Very beautiful.

ube quilting 08-01-2014 01:05 PM

It is going to be a wonderful display as they grow. There are many rose varieties that change color as the flower matures. I think they are just as grand as can be. Enjoy. My roses are mostly used for deer food:(:D.
peace

donna13350 08-01-2014 01:28 PM

I've grown roses for decades...and it does look like Joseph's Coat, to me...it is known for changing colors from bud to bloom. Heat, cold, humidity, and other factors can also affect how it changes, and if at all it changes. If it turns out to be a bush rose and not a climber, then it's probably Double Delight...it looks a lot more like the latter to me.
As a new rose grower, the first thing you should do is get on a rose forum..there are many good ones and you can learn a lot from them.
The second(and too late) bit of advice is that roses in the plastic bags at the box stores (we call them "body bags" for good reason LOL) are notorious for being mismarked and diseased...better to go with a reputable company and get a good rose to start with. I only mention this because you didn't say where you got them, and if indeed you did purchase a body bag, chances are good that it will not make it through it's first winter, or if it does, it will die of rose virus in the next year or so...and you will be looking for replacements.

debbiemarie 08-01-2014 01:35 PM

I have never seen this before, but I think it is cool.

melindac 08-01-2014 05:09 PM

I wanted to put my input, though I will need your eyes to do so. If the pink flower is on a separate stem from the second 2 photos, I think this would need to be cut back to the ground to keep the entire rose from reverting back to its original stock growth (or sucker growth). Those flowers are weaker, smaller, and not as fragrant. Now if the pictures are all from that one flower . . . ok, then you have me stumped!! Gorgeous. But do check to see if the pink one is on a separate branch. Enjoy!!

madamekelly 08-01-2014 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by wildyard (Post 6827036)
I agree, was just about to post that my guess is it's a Joseph's Coat Climbing Rose. I think you will be happy with it over the years!!

Thank you both for finding out the name of my new rose. Any idea about the name of the pink one?

madamekelly 08-01-2014 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by melindac (Post 6827689)
I wanted to put my input, though I will need your eyes to do so. If the pink flower is on a separate stem from the second 2 photos, I think this would need to be cut back to the ground to keep the entire rose from reverting back to its original stock growth (or sucker growth). Those flowers are weaker, smaller, and not as fragrant. Now if the pictures are all from that one flower . . . ok, then you have me stumped!! Gorgeous. But do check to see if the pink one is on a separate branch. Enjoy!!

The pink rose is on a separate bush in a plantar on the opposite side of the trellis. They will both be trained to grow over the arch.

Caswews 08-01-2014 07:40 PM

Beautiful !!!