Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I am so confused by my new roses..

Blog Entries

I am so confused by my new roses..

DH and I are working of getting our yard and gardens finally put in. One of the most recent things DH did for me was build two planter boxes to put on either side of my new garden arch. We went out and bought climbing rose bushes to put in the planters. According to the labels, they were supposed to be a bright pink one and a bright red/orange one, and the last two in our small town. If you look at the pictures below, you will see the cause of my confusion. The first picture is the first rose on the bright pink climber. The next picture is a yellow rose, then a yellow and orange rose, then a yellow and deep orange rose. What is the confusion you ask? The last three pictures were taken Wednesday afternoon, Thursday morning, and Thursday late afternoon, and they are all the same rose! I have never seen a rose change color after blooming before. have you?
    When the two grow together over the trellis arch, it will be gorgeous, but which colors will they be?
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Beautiful anyway...

Power Poster
    Yes I have seen a rose change colour. My mother's Peace rose used to do that but not as a dramatic colour change. Pretty rose and it's like getting several roses in one!

I have never seen anything like that - how lovely to get so many different variations from one flower. It will keep you guessing.

Yes, I have seen roses change color, but not as much as yours. Your "final" color wil probably red/orange, but whatever they are, they are beautiful!

How beautiful! I'd cherish it just the way it is....its a beautiful gift from God.

I'm doubly amazed that its here in the Willamette Valley --- roses are really hard to grow here with all the overcast days and rain. The heat this summer is obviously helping a lot!

How beautiful. I immediately thought of a peace rose as I read your description. You have a real treasure.

I love it want one

We have one in our yard that is called "Hot Chocolate". It starts out as a brownish - red bud and flowers to a vermillion colour. After a few days, the older flowers become a magenta tone. It is lovely to see all of the varieties on the one bush as well. Can.t send any photos as it is Winter here, but will try to remember to share their beauty later in the year.

That yellow one ...my mom had. And as the day progress,outer petal got darker . Yours are so pretty...relax and enjoy them!
    take plenty of pic of family & friends, keep tabs on loved ones but make time for yourself !

How lucky you are! Repost when the trellis is full of your spectacular roses.

They are pretty even if not what you bought.
    Freedom to speak is a gift ;please don't take it from us..

I have a tropical hibiscus that blooms with both single and double flowers on the same plant...Not much of a horticulturist so don't know what causes such things. Your rose is beautiful.

I have no clue what is going on, but oh, I would love to have roses like that.

Gorgeous rose bush, enjoy!

Wow!! So pretty! And what a surprise for every day!
    This too shall pass.
    Janie

That is a nice surprise...thought you were going to say they had a disease or something bad! You will like those I am sure!

That are always making new lines of roses. They are very pretty. I have miniature red roses in front of my patio.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    Looks like a Joseph's Coat climbing rose--they change colors just like that. Beautiful, prolific roses and they are quite hardy.

http://www.cottagefarmsdirect.com/CF...osephsCoat.jpg
    Last edited by AngeliaNR; 08-01-2014 at 07:41 AM.
    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AngeliaNR View Post
    Looks like a Joseph's Coat climbing rose--they change colors just like that. Beautiful, prolific roses and they are quite hardy.

http://www.cottagefarmsdirect.com/CF...osephsCoat.jpg
    I agree, was just about to post that my guess is it's a Joseph's Coat Climbing Rose. I think you will be happy with it over the years!!
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Love the transformation. Probably happening with the placement and timing of the heat and sun of the day. Looks like a beautiful surprise to wake up to in the morning!

WOW - like a light show! Very beautiful
    Linda

Power Poster
    I just think the rose is trying on new dresses for the trellis. LOL. Very beautiful.

Blog Entries
    It is going to be a wonderful display as they grow. There are many rose varieties that change color as the flower matures. I think they are just as grand as can be. Enjoy. My roses are mostly used for deer food.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

I've grown roses for decades...and it does look like Joseph's Coat, to me...it is known for changing colors from bud to bloom. Heat, cold, humidity, and other factors can also affect how it changes, and if at all it changes. If it turns out to be a bush rose and not a climber, then it's probably Double Delight...it looks a lot more like the latter to me.
    As a new rose grower, the first thing you should do is get on a rose forum..there are many good ones and you can learn a lot from them.
    The second(and too late) bit of advice is that roses in the plastic bags at the box stores (we call them "body bags" for good reason LOL) are notorious for being mismarked and diseased...better to go with a reputable company and get a good rose to start with. I only mention this because you didn't say where you got them, and if indeed you did purchase a body bag, chances are good that it will not make it through it's first winter, or if it does, it will die of rose virus in the next year or so...and you will be looking for replacements.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast