Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   I can't do it anymore (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/i-cant-do-anymore-t41648.html)

debbieumphress 05-31-2010 04:07 PM

I attended a Scrap Crazy class and they gave us a box with four drawers as part of the class. So when I cut, I go ahead and make squares out of left overs and put them in that size drawer. Then when I see someone on the QB looking for squares...off they go to a new home. ANd I make more friends. Some call it the Lumber Jack system...2 x 4's, 1 x 8", 4 x 4's, get it????When I post I have scraps for the first to PM me I get a lot of quick responses and I feel bad so I make more up really quick and send them all some. LOL. Love to Pay It Forward. Happy scrapping everyone. It only takes an extra minute or two to put a smile on another quilter's face.

janice4 05-31-2010 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by debbieumphress
I attended a Scrap Crazy class and they gave us a box with four drawers as part of the class. So when I cut, I go ahead and make squares out of left overs and put them in that size drawer. Then when I see someone on the QB looking for squares...off they go to a new home. ANd I make more friends. Some call it the Lumber Jack system...2 x 4's, 1 x 8", 4 x 4's, get it????When I post I have scraps for the first to PM me I get a lot of quick responses and I feel bad so I make more up really quick and send them all some. LOL. Love to Pay It Forward. Happy scrapping everyone. It only takes an extra minute or two to put a smile on another quilter's face.

I totally agree when I cut I also cut two inch strips and put them aside.. they come in handy :) I filled a box for a lady today :)>. easy o do and she is paying the postage ;). takes a minute to do ;).. and makes a smile.

janice4 05-31-2010 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by roseOfsharon
Hmmm thinking if the scraps are not too too little could save up for a couple months and offer them to a local quilt shop for use? or maybe a church group in the area that quilt? I just hate the thoughts of waste ! :) just me ...

a couple of months I'd be buried in I filled a cube box for a lady today ;)>. just with cutting out a quilt and picking up the last weeks projects around the table etc..

Kate01 10-28-2010 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingfan
I agree. I toss all but the scraps that i would be able to make into 4" squares. All others are to small.

Oh Please...Send me your scraps, I can't afford to buy any more fabric, (fixed income), but I love to sew.

my email is [email protected]

Thank you so much.

janice4 10-28-2010 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Kate01

I agree. I toss all but the scraps that i would be able to make into 4" squares. All others are to small.

Oh Please...Send me your scraps, I can't afford to buy any more fabric, (fixed income), but I love to sew.

Thank you so much.

PM me you address I can get a flat rate box ful for you .. do you do applique? ;)..

Kate01 11-01-2010 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by janice4

Originally Posted by Kate01

Thank you so much.

PM me you address I can get a flat rate box ful for you .. do you do applique? ;)..

Kate01 11-01-2010 08:18 AM

Janice4

I think I didn't send reply correctly, so here it is again.

Thanks for your offer, I PM'd you today and I already have many ideas for using the scraps. I will be haunting the mailman until they come.

Thanks again!

Kate

May in Jersey 11-01-2010 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
If it's cuts off triangles I sew them together to make HSTs. I save most small scraps of fabric until I'm done working on that particular quilt then they're gone. I used to give them to a "friend" because she'd asked if I would give her my scrappy pieces, some were as big as fat eighths, until I overheard her tell someone that I was gave her all my garbage. Now, I keep the bigger pieces and the small ones go in the garbage.

This reminded me of when DH gave someone he worked with a bag of my 'scraps'. If he asked me for some I would have made up a bag for her but he gave her a bag of scraps that I had asked him to throw in the garbage. Boy was she surprised when she opened it and found among the tiny bits of scraps, pieces of thread, batting, orange peels, my lunch leftovers, etc.. I made up a nice bag of real scraps for her as an apology for the bag of garbage he gave her.

I used to keep every tiny scrap but found I didn't have room for them and they did take up a lot of my time sorting, storing, looking for, etc. so now I keep anything at that is least 2" May in Jersey

Quilt Mom 11-01-2010 09:26 AM

I guess I never thought someone would want my scraps. I will have to start a box, and post here when is it full...

May in Jersey 11-01-2010 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by BATmama
Why not make crumb quilts? That's a quilt that uses the left overs from a scrappy. I've also seen where people list bags or boxes of scraps here and if people will pay the postage they can have these leftovers. Just my 2cents worth. LOL

The problem with crumb quilts is that you have to have or buy a few yards of fabric for sashing the blocks. I really don't like the look of just crumb blocks sewn together, too busy for me and Wow all the thread you use. Did one of them to use up tiny scraps and leftovers on my thread spools but once was enough for me. My 2" and bigger scraps make great string quilts and I like these blocks without sashing. I donate a lot of them to Heartstrings who make tons of charity quilts a year. May in Jersey