Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   I got an AARP card in the mail?????! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/i-got-aarp-card-mail-t23550.html)

Lisanne 07-31-2009 07:36 PM

I'm in my 40s. Okay, I confess I'm pushing 50 hard.

But what a shock to receive an AARP card and invitation to join! I thought this was for retirees, people 65 and older. I'm still getting used to the idea of being middle aged!

Now, I've admired AARP since I was a kid. I used to read the magazine whenever I came across it, in other people's homes or doctor's offices, I suppose. Loved the articles, but I didn't expect to belong until I was heading towards the end of life...

I gather that has changed and now people can belong at 50. Does that mean I'm going to be a senior citizen at 50????? I'm still getting used to reading glasses, kicking and screaming.

I'll wait until I'm 50 to join, thank-you-very-much. The benefits do seem to make it worthwhile.

I know several of us on this board are older, so I guess I'm looking for your experiences with AARP, aging in general, I dunno, maybe just support. I about keeled over when I saw that card with my name on it.

tlrnhi 07-31-2009 08:02 PM

I wonder if there are discounts for fabric. :)

Lisanne 07-31-2009 08:11 PM

LOL, that would be a bright side.

zyxquilts 07-31-2009 09:42 PM

Don't worry about it Lisanne ~ I got my first letter from AARP when I was......22!!! LOL

dunster 07-31-2009 10:12 PM

I'm a month older than my husband, so my invitation to join came before his. And - get this - HE SIGNED ME UP!!! I'm still mad about that.

You learn to appreciate the senior citizen discounts, though I wish they would ask to see proof of age. :(

patricej 08-01-2009 01:47 AM

their primary focus is on two things: (1) selling insurance; (2) pouring your money into politics without your knowledge or consent.

they will never see a dime from me.

azdesertrat 08-01-2009 02:08 AM

I have been getting them for a few years now.And acceptance starts at 50,I guess they have this cruel twisted humor thing going on to remind us that we are getting up there( I am 50)

Pam B 08-01-2009 03:56 AM

LOL I remember getting my invite to join a few years ago...that was a shocker, for sure! Our church has started a group for 55+ and they are doing such fun things....I am almost envious that I am NOT quite old enough to join them.

Bevanger 08-01-2009 06:02 AM

I get them all the time too. Geesh, thanks for the reminder people. I'll be 49 on the 26th..... Oh well, now I don't feel bad cuz others are getting them too. Oh wait til you get pamplets from funerals. Sorry. I ain't ready to go yet. I have too many quilts to make yet. Maybe I'll make one for when I go to heaven. Good idea huh? :D

Shelley 08-01-2009 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
their primary focus is on two things: (1) selling insurance; (2) pouring your money into politics without your knowledge or consent.

they will never see a dime from me.

Same here.... It's all about the $$$ and the power. They really don't care about the elderly, that just happens to be their target audience.