Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   I have bad news....... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/i-have-bad-news-t86833.html)

dreamer2009 01-01-2011 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by amma
I will go and check on our Joann's in a week or two, I am hoping not to find the same thing :(

amma, our Joann's have been at $9.99 for several weeks already
up here NW

lots2do 01-01-2011 03:45 PM

Wow, I find that really amazing....9.99 a yard? At Joann's? It makes the fabric at Keepsake Quilting seem like a relative bargain.

Grinster 01-01-2011 03:47 PM

I guess I had better use my 50% of coupon tomorrow! Thanks for the heads up on this one. Dang it!

oldswimmer 01-01-2011 03:57 PM

I guess there will be many people that choose NOT to shop at JoAnns. It sounds crazy....

np3 01-01-2011 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Grinster
I guess I had better use my 50% of coupon tomorrow! Thanks for the heads up on this one. Dang it!

Unless of course it is on sale for 20% off, or $1 off per yard.

fabricmaniac 01-01-2011 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by mygirl66
I just got home from Jo-Ann Fabrics. I havnt been there for awhile because I have been working so much, so its been about 3 months or so. I saw a few fabrics I REALLY liked on the calico wall, and they are $1 off a yard, so I thought good deal. Nope, they went up to $9.99 a yard on most, how sad. When I got up to the register, the young lady asked why I looked so sad, I told her the prices have gone up so much since I have been there last. THEN she tells me they were bought out last week by the people who own Pet Smart, and fabric is going up NEXT WEEK $2-$3 more per yard, I almost cried.

Pet Smart bought JoAnn's... Huh? That just seems crazy. You'd be better off buying your fabrics from a quilt shop when they are 20-40% off or such. The fabrics are of a much higher quality than JoAnn's who I think has no business charging so much for "lesser" quality fabrics (for the most part). I also do a fair amount of sales shopping on line.. top of the line fabrics for less than JoAnns has the nerve to charge! I only buy notions there.

dreamer2009 01-01-2011 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by fabricmaniac

Originally Posted by mygirl66
I just got home from Jo-Ann Fabrics. I havnt been there for awhile because I have been working so much, so its been about 3 months or so. I saw a few fabrics I REALLY liked on the calico wall, and they are $1 off a yard, so I thought good deal. Nope, they went up to $9.99 a yard on most, how sad. When I got up to the register, the young lady asked why I looked so sad, I told her the prices have gone up so much since I have been there last. THEN she tells me they were bought out last week by the people who own Pet Smart, and fabric is going up NEXT WEEK $2-$3 more per yard, I almost cried.

Pet Smart bought JoAnn's... Huh? That just seems crazy. You'd be better off buying your fabrics from a quilt shop when they are 20-40% off or such. The fabrics are of a much higher quality than JoAnn's who I think has no business charging so much for "lesser" quality fabrics (for the most part). I also do a fair amount of sales shopping on line.. top of the line fabrics for less than JoAnns has the nerve to charge! I only buy notions there.

They were not bought out by Pet Smart...

HUDSON, Ohio -- Jo-Ann Stores Inc., one of the few national retailers that prospered during the recession, has agreed to be acquired by a private equity firm in Los Angeles for $1.6 billion.

The deal with Leonard Green & Partners LP promises a premium for shareholders and should mean few changes for consumers at Jo-Ann's 756 stores, analysts said.

harvsstuff 01-01-2011 04:14 PM

I'll buy my fabric at the quilt store before I pay there high prices. They will find out they are going to lose big time with the increases.

mrspete 01-01-2011 04:23 PM

I'm a reclaimer. So, I use cotton table cloths, curtains, dress skirts and shirt backs a lot. It's about all I can swing. Lots of my acquaintances save things for me. Some I just give to Goodwill, which is a great source.

WE'll have to dream of a new way. We all need to grow bamboo, huh! learn how to harvest and spin it into thread to weave into our fabric. Well, if you are dreaming, just dream.

~ sign ~

pinecone 01-01-2011 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by lots2do
Wow, I find that really amazing....9.99 a yard? At Joann's? It makes the fabric at Keepsake Quilting seem like a relative bargain.

Especially if you shop in the sale section of the KQ store and on-line. It irks me that JA's prices the goods so close to LQS' prices but the quality isn't even close.....off my soapbox.

piney