Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   I have a squirrel problem (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/i-have-squirrel-problem-t25252.html)

Mousie 09-11-2009 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Stitching4Fun
Did you ever think that maybe that is why the previous owners didn't have a yard with grass? Maybe they had the same problems.

I have feral cats that have taken up residency here since they were kittens. They do their own hunting. It is nothing to see a bird, chipmunk, rabbit or a squirrel on my porch.

That story reminds me of the commercial with the two squirrels running in front of a car and when the car swerves and goes off the road the squirrels are giving each other the high 5...............maybe there are some intelligent ones out there...........and you have one coming into your yard.

Barb

intelligent squirells? FOR SURE...my nickname since age 18, has been Squirrelly...I mean, it's all I am called by many ppl in my family and hubby's family. That is who I am!
...but Melanie, it is not me...I have lots of allergies and intolerances, and corn is a main culprit! not me :roll:
not saying it ain't my crazy uncle, though!* :mrgreen:

Mousie 09-11-2009 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
don't feed birds. they'll come for the spilled seed. don't leave water that they can come and drink. use metal garbage cans and bungee cords to keep them closed. as much as you want to, don't grow veggies.

they love tulip bulbs and you may have to plant them with chicken wire over their tops under the dirt. they do NOT eat daffy bulbs because they're poisonous. they don't like crocus bulbs.

you may or may not want to know how i come by my information. i can only say that you haven't lived until you see a squirrel running along the top of a 6' fence with a large, red, round thing in his mouth that turns out to be a prize tomato. then he came back and ate the naked bush.

B? you have naked bushes??? let me guess, squirrel stripped it...oh, that naughty, naughty squirrel...and made off with your prize tomato too...funny, that a squirrel would eat tomato. Maybe he was part italian?
likes nekkid,...he must be part english, like K3n! :mrgreen:

butterflywing 09-11-2009 09:08 AM

it also sound like the squirrel just loves those yummy, tender little roots that the sod is putting out. ask the sod people if they have an answer.

Skeat 09-11-2009 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
I don't know about it you have gotten rid of your squirrel, but I'm going to try the moth balls for our skunks...I already tried to give it away to my Dad's wife...told her it was a cat.... :wink: , that didn't work..so off to get some moth balls..

How ya' comin' with the squirrel? Did you get him with the hose? Maybe you need a "Super Soaker" :shock:

sandpat....mothballs won't work for skunks..they just roll them out of their way...what does work for skunks to detour them elsewhere is the cheapest amonia you can find. We had a rental house years ago that had what we thought was 2 of them(We had about 22 of them!)...even the conservation people laughed at us...for you could trap them, but, they can spray for 10ft!So who would let them back out somewhere else:)Well, long story short, an older farmer told us that when they exited from under the house, pour the amonia all the way around the foundation while they were out...block their hole (they are really strong!) and they will not cross over that line. It worked! Only we ran out of it on one corner....guess where they dug out the foundation that night:)So, we did it again. Oh, and to distract them for a good distance from the house both nights....we put out sardines...their favorite:)Another thing...at least here, they breed in the fall, not the spring. Hope this helps...Skeat

sandpat 09-11-2009 03:35 PM

OH gosh Skeat...thanks for the heads up. 22 of them???? I'd have just gone ahead and shot myself I think. I was gonna get some moth balls tomorrow. I will have to go get some amonia now. They breed here in Feb...ask me how I know that :shock: :roll: (just say that this isn't the 1st time we've had a skunk problem)..Now..wonder if my cats will cross the amonia line?

MadQuilter 09-11-2009 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Skeat
sandpat....mothballs won't work for skunks..they just roll them out of their way..

Mothball is like deodorizer to a skunk. Imagine how offensive something would have to be to get to a skunk. lol

feline fanatic 09-12-2009 05:16 AM

Callous as it may sound, a rat trap baited with peanut butter is good for red squirrels. Don't know about the grays. Rat poison would probably work.
My dog does a good job of keeping them at a bare minimum around our place. One thing you may want to keep in mind about squirrels and wanting to spare their lives... Squirrels love to overwinter in your house! They will find or make an opening in the eaves and take up residence in your attic or air space under the roof. They will then gnaw on wires which can cause electrical fires. Yes they may be cute but they are a royal PITA not to mention destructive if they decide to make your house their home instead of the trees. Also they will bring in fleas. I am a big animal lover but when it comes to destructive vermine and my house I will take advantage of any technology to kill them.

Skeat 09-12-2009 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter

sandpat....mothballs won't work for skunks..they just roll them out of their way..

Mothball is like deodorizer to a skunk. Imagine how offensive something would have to be to get to a skunk. lol

That is too funny!! Mothball deodorizers!LOL

sandpat 09-12-2009 05:44 AM

I think just to be safe....I'll try a combination of them both :lol:

Mousie 09-12-2009 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by sandpat
I don't know about it you have gotten rid of your squirrel, but I'm going to try the moth balls for our skunks...I already tried to give it away to my Dad's wife...told her it was a cat.... :wink: , that didn't work..so off to get some moth balls..

How ya' comin' with the squirrel? Did you get him with the hose? Maybe you need a "Super Soaker" :shock:

sandpat....mothballs won't work for skunks..they just roll them out of their way...what does work for skunks to detour them elsewhere is the cheapest amonia you can find. We had a rental house years ago that had what we thought was 2 of them(We had about 22 of them!)...even the conservation people laughed at us...for you could trap them, but, they can spray for 10ft!So who would let them back out somewhere else:)Well, long story short, an older farmer told us that when they exited from under the house, pour the amonia all the way around the foundation while they were out...block their hole (they are really strong!) and they will not cross over that line. It worked! Only we ran out of it on one corner....guess where they dug out the foundation that night:)So, we did it again. Oh, and to distract them for a good distance from the house both nights....we put out sardines...their favorite:)Another thing...at least here, they breed in the fall, not the spring. Hope this helps...Skeat

good to know this Skeat! blame the mothball answer on my hubby!
wow, 22...yeah...I'd have gone mad! :roll:
So, after you lured them away with sardines, and pour ammonia, all the way around...they had to leave to go find food, huh?
what were they eating while under your house?