Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I have a squirrel problem

Super Member Baren*eh*ked_canadian's Avatar
    Ok, if I could catch this little bugger, he'd be in big trouble!

When we moved here, our yard was a monstrosity. The last people to have lived here put down patio stones for the whole yard, no grass, and they took half of them with them when they moved :roll: Don't ask me why, but it looked awful, with patches of dirt here and there. So anyway, after this huge ordeal with ripping up our yard to dig under the building, we finally got our yard set up the way we wanted it, and put down some nice sod, and we're TRYING to get it to grow. So a couple of weeks ago, we noticed a squirrel in our yard, he's all cute and stuff. Then next day, he'd gone through the garbage, pulled out an ear of corn (unpeeled) Peeled it on my lawn, took all the kernels off, left half of them in the grass, and took off with the cob, leaving us with a mess. It was a pain in the butt to clean up, so we went out and bought him some peanuts so he'd leave our garbage alone.
    Yeah, right. So now, he's digging holes all over my lawn! Every day, I try to patch them up, and then I come home and there are more holes and patches of dirt! I bought this concentrated coyote urine to put along my fence, and on cotton balls around my yard, and it's really not helping at all, and I'm at my wit's end.

Does ANYONE have any suggestions for me? I thought I could make a humane trap, and then go drop him off in the woods... he's the only one who comes in our yard, I've seen him time and time again. Please help me if you have any words of advice, I'm going crazy here. I'm about to let my cat out on him, but I'm afraid she'll jump the 5 foot fence and get hit by a car...

Around here, the neighbors use the humane traps....nothing else seems to work. We have 2 cats that, so far, haven't brought a squirrel in (yes, they brought in a chipmunk and a bird). Do NOT feed them! If you don't feed them, they'll go somewhere else. If you feed him, he and others will be at your doorstep.

We only fed him once, a couple of weeks ago, but he still comes every day, and digs up my garden too, he better not steal my bulbs in my garden!

B.B. Gun? :)

LOL!!!

The dogs keep most things our of our yard

Hmmmmm try throwing the peanuts over the fence and maybe he will go there!

Blog Entries
    Well, you made the mistake of feeding him...even once is too much. I would try the humane trap and relocate him if possible. I would not take a chance of losing my cat by turing it loose though! If all else fails...an air gun? blast him with a water hose when you see him? borrow a neighbor's dog?. Good luck, I know it is sooo frustrating after all that hard work in your yard!

...and when you figure out how to get rid of him....please tell me how to get rid of the 3 skunks that are living under my house! :shock:

Maybe try putting the garbage somewhere else. Maybe he is only attracted to the smell of the garbage and where he dropped the kernels from the corn on the cob and they are in the ground and he is trying to find them?? I hope you fix your squirrel problem! :D

Quote Originally Posted by fluffbug95
    Maybe try putting the garbage somewhere else. Maybe he is only attracted to the smell of the garbage and where he dropped the kernels from the corn on the cob and they are in the ground and he is trying to find them?? I hope you fix your squirrel problem! :D
    Actually, I hadn't thought of that!
    We did move the garbage to the garage, but maybe there are kernels left under the grass that we didn't pick up.

Quote Originally Posted by Baren*eh*ked_canadian
    Quote Originally Posted by fluffbug95
    Actually, I hadn't thought of that!
    We did move the garbage to the garage, but maybe there are kernels left under the grass that we didn't pick up.
    When there was broken glass in our yard that was in the ground by just a little my mom got our shop vaccum and the extenstion cord and sucked it up. It worked quite well! :)

:D I use a battery operated water pistol on the critters that bug me in my yard....I started using one that was left over from my boys, then when that one quit, I went out and bought one. If you could hear what that little squirrel is saying to me after it gets a blast of water :lol:...We don't have too much problem with them anymore, just in the spring, when I have to remind them :lol: P.S. I don't hurt them, I have very bad aim....

You are all much nicer than I am apparently! I'd get a really good trap (I have some good ones for chipmunks.), bait them (peanut butter is great bait) and let the squirrel take his chances.

Quote Originally Posted by sandpat
    Well, you made the mistake of feeding him...even once is too much. I would try the humane trap and relocate him if possible. I would not take a chance of losing my cat by turing it loose though! If all else fails...an air gun? blast him with a water hose when you see him? borrow a neighbor's dog?. Good luck, I know it is sooo frustrating after all that hard work in your yard!

...and when you figure out how to get rid of him....please tell me how to get rid of the 3 skunks that are living under my house! :shock:
    MOTHBALLS...the kind that come in a box :wink:

....um.... you could put the food in the neighbor's yard.....but I didn't tell you that.....

Quote Originally Posted by Shelley
    ....um.... you could put the food in the neighbor's yard.....but I didn't tell you that.....
    ooh, Shelley, what if you are the neighbor? :shock: :lol:

Blog Entries
    marcia told me a similar story about the squirrels in her yard. they were driving her husband up the wall because they kept pulling up patches of sod all over the place. well ... it turned out that they were just digging up things they'd buried. they remembered all the locations and weren't letting a little thing like new sod get in their way.

anyhoooo ... it only happened during that first season. once the squirrels had found all their previously buried treasure the digging stopped because they buried their new "jewels" someplace easier to get to.

make your squirrels pay for their share of the sod. they'll be more careful. or ... just patch it this year and wait patiently for next. :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    marcia told me a similar story about the squirrels in her yard. they were driving her husband up the wall because they kept pulling up patches of sod all over the place. well ... it turned out that they were just digging up things they'd buried. they remembered all the locations and weren't letting a little thing like new sod get in their way.

anyhoooo ... it only happened during that first season. once the squirrels had found all their previously buried treasure the digging stopped because they buried their new "jewels" someplace easier to get to.

make your squirrels pay for their share of the sod. they'll be more careful. or ... just patch it this year and wait patiently for next. :wink:
    a 'quilted' yard! :lol: sorry, Melanie, was too good to pass up.
    Hope you and the squirrel can come to a peaceful resolution.
    Maybe 'Handsome' is gonna have to dig up the corn kernels and pay the ransom to get your yard back. :wink:

Did you ever think that maybe that is why the previous owners didn't have a yard with grass? Maybe they had the same problems.

I have feral cats that have taken up residency here since they were kittens. They do their own hunting. It is nothing to see a bird, chipmunk, rabbit or a squirrel on my porch.

That story reminds me of the commercial with the two squirrels running in front of a car and when the car swerves and goes off the road the squirrels are giving each other the high 5...............maybe there are some intelligent ones out there...........and you have one coming into your yard.

Barb

Did you ever think that maybe that is why the previous owners didn't have a yard with grass? Maybe they had the same problems.

I have feral cats that have taken up residency here since they were kittens. They do their own hunting. It is nothing to see a bird, chipmunk, rabbit or a squirrel on my porch.

That story reminds me of the commercial with the two squirrels running in front of a car and when the car swerves and goes off the road the squirrels are giving each other the high 5...............maybe there are some intelligent ones out there...........and you have one coming into your yard.

Barb

Quote Originally Posted by genghis khan
    B.B. Gun? :)
    Yep...that was what I was going to say:)Works wonders here....they can do some serious house damage!

We live with them...they were here first.

I let my dog take care of any animals in my yard. She does leave daily piles to scoop up (I call them land mines), but she doesn't dig any holes. I rarely see any squirrels around my place, even in the trees and on the electrical wires.

Be happy you only have ONE!! I counted 15 in my yard Sunday morning!! We just have the little gray squirrels here, but I have two oak treees in the yard (hate them, but they're big and were here when I bought it), so ALOT of digging and acorn burying goes on. I even have an albino one! I tolerate them, the dog tries to kill them :lol: :lol: . I figure they're easier to deal with than the chipmunks who live under my shed, those cute little buggers are extremely destructive! The squirrels leave the bulbs and plants alone, but the chipmunks eat every bulb and managed to get in my attic...the ones that get in get poisoned, I can't have them possibly chewing wires and nesting, imagine the stench!! I think it won't be too bad once the lawn is established, hang in there..

Oh, around here its illegal to trap wildlife and transport to another area to release due to rabies. And its really expensive to have the game catchers come trap them and dispose of them. My ex and I had a problem with woodchucks at the old house..we did use a hav-a-heart trap, but destroyed them after they were caught. We lived in town and got 14 one summer. they were diggging under the foundation and had to go.

don't feed birds. they'll come for the spilled seed. don't leave water that they can come and drink. use metal garbage cans and bungee cords to keep them closed. as much as you want to, don't grow veggies.

they love tulip bulbs and you may have to plant them with chicken wire over their tops under the dirt. they do NOT eat daffy bulbs because they're poisonous. they don't like crocus bulbs.

you may or may not want to know how i come by my information. i can only say that you haven't lived until you see a squirrel running along the top of a 6' fence with a large, red, round thing in his mouth that turns out to be a prize tomato. then he came back and ate the naked bush.

oh my god, butterflywing, I think I would have had a heart attack!

My parents have TONS of wildlife in their yard, lots of trees, they live by the water, and just on the other side of that is forrest. The only problem they have is with the beavers coming to steal the hedges at the bottom by the river. They have at least a half dozen bird feeders, some squirrel feeders, compost, gardens, all kinds of stuff, and the squirrels are a dime a dozen, and they don't kill their grass... My mother uses the coyote urine to try to keep the beavers away, she suggested I use it for my squirrel but it hasn't helped one bit :(
    Tomorrow I'm going to park my butt by the patio door with the hose in my hand and just wait for the little bugger :twisted:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast