Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   I just learned something! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/i-just-learned-something-t287856.html)

sewingsuz 04-28-2017 07:50 PM

I just learned something!

I was cutting out flannel shirts and the fabric was directional. Everything was fine when I was cutting width of fabric with fold on the top and selvages on my bottom of mat ( or closest to me). The moose where correct on front and back. Front has two pieces and back is on the fold. When I needed to cut the sleeves, I had to fold the fabric the other way so it would be wider. When I cut double sleeves the moose are ok on top and upside down on the other sleeve. I am making two shirts the same size. One for me and one for my Daughter. I exchanged the sleeves so My two will be wrong and hers correct. How could I do this? I don't think I have ever run in to this before in my 63 yrs of sewing. Boo Hoo! :(:thumbdown::shock:

Tartan 04-28-2017 09:24 PM

​Oh dear, directional fabrics can be problematic.

NJ Quilter 04-29-2017 03:37 AM

My last couple of quilts I managed to pick directional fabric for the borders. What was I thinking! Took a bit of playing but it worked out fine. Sorry you ran into this issue.

maviskw 04-29-2017 07:19 AM

I think I learned this in "Home-Ec" class. With directional fabrics, you sometimes need to cut them out one at a time. Don't cut two layers of fabric.

annette1952 04-29-2017 08:09 AM

So sorry, I know how frustrating it is to do that. Now I check & double check any directional fabric before cutting.

Irishrose2 04-29-2017 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw (Post 7813821)
I think I learned this in "Home-Ec" class. With directional fabrics, you sometimes need to cut them out one at a time. Don't cut two layers of fabric.

Or cut the fabric in half horizontally and stack the pieces so the moose heads are both facing up - with right sides together, of course.

sewnclog 04-29-2017 02:11 PM

It happens but when YOU look down at them they are 'right side up'. :~)

Onebyone 04-29-2017 02:32 PM

I'd just buy some more fabric and forget about the mistake.

popover 04-29-2017 02:46 PM

Thats what I learned too.

b.zang 04-29-2017 02:55 PM

Home Ec was a valuable class! I learned this, too. I also learned that when matching plaid and working with fabric that just "must match" in the finished product, that cutting is the most important step.