Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   I KNOW.... nobody on this board needs this, but it couldn't hurt!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/i-know-nobody-board-needs-but-couldnt-hurt-t247702.html)

wendiq 06-01-2014 07:34 AM

Us "oldies" appreciate the correct English. The younger kids, not so much. Unfortunately, testing isn't helping. I sent this article to my 50 yr. old son that is doing a resume.....He's pretty well informed, but like so many has fallen prey to "spelling check".....thanks for sharing this......

llong0233 06-01-2014 08:07 AM

Thanks for this. I'll share it with friends. My bugaboos are further/farther and imply/infer. Love having these reminders.

Geri B 06-01-2014 10:18 AM

...how about.." Oh, this is so fun! Instead of " oh this is so much fun!

Seaside gal 06-01-2014 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by NUBQ (Post 6739405)

I wish we could send this to the talking heads on the TV news shows. We would need to include the rules for me, myself, and I. Another one that makes me grit my teeth is "funner".

Karamarie 06-01-2014 03:38 PM

My pet peeve is when newscasters say a word different than how it has been said for the last umpteenth years and if you look it up in the dictionary, they are saying it incorrect. Is this just to get your attention or what?

DogHouseMom 06-01-2014 05:52 PM

All of those were great, and yes, used incorrectly quite often.

One of my pet peeves is people who say "irregardless".

And one in the area of pronunciation ... height spoken with a th at the end.

solstice3 06-01-2014 08:04 PM

Excellent article

maviskw 06-01-2014 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mollie'sMom (Post 6739567)
Another common mistake I hear spoken is seen or saw. It is "I saw the car go by" or "I have seen that car many times." Not "I seen the car go by."

My son grew up knowing how to use seen and saw, but his good habits have gone by the wayside since his wife used it the other way. Sigh! I have heard that this "I seen" thing is much more prevalent in the Midwest; and even specific to central Wisconsin. I'm surprised to see it from Georgia.
My hypothesis is that they hear "I've seen" and didn't hear the "v". Irks me every time.

Really loved this post. But I think the sentence for the definition for illicit is incorrect. The sentence says to "illicit a response" I think a more correct way to say it would be to "elicit an illicit response". Elicit is to draw it out, and Illicit is something unlawful. Am I right?

w7sue 06-01-2014 09:36 PM

Thanks for the refresher course. I think that the way our young people write and talk is atrocious. To add insult to injury, so many people get mad when they are corrected. It is a habit for me to read communications with an eye to how things are being said. It must be the 15+ years spent in education - and I still make some of the mistakes in the article - I had an effect/affect moment this evening before I read this and I had to look it up - it's always the one rule that gets me - you would think I would remember it since I always have to look it up.

jitkaau 06-02-2014 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by NUBQ (Post 6739405)

just what am I to infer from your suggestion???? (Just joking) - I live in a district which has quaint grammatical and lexical mistakes in its speech patterns - so much so that I can spot someone from the area just by listeninf to the tag: "..and so it is" or ..."as you do". However, the two that mak me cringe are, "I seen it before..." and when talking to a group. "Are yous going to the dance tonight?" Language is a living thing I guess - we don't speak Middle English any more.Many thanks for your post.