Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   I love the 4th of July but it is going to be a looong weekend! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/i-love-4th-july-but-going-looong-weekend-t134589.html)

Sadiemae 07-01-2011 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by BarbaraSue
my red bone coon hound was petrified of thunder and fireworks. so i had 106 lbs of dog in my lap quivering me and him--almost like a vibrating chair with a boulder in your lap! he's gone now. our choc lab isn't gun shy or sffraid of fireworks. in fact she watches the fireworks too.

I was spoiled before when I had my Chesepeake. She loved the fireworks and would watch them. I had to be careful if she could get close enough, because she would try to catch them in her mouth. She was almost 15 when I lost her and I still miss her so much. They are wonderful dogs.

bodie358 07-01-2011 10:12 PM

I put my Jimi in his crate and turn on the radio with fairly loud music and a fan set on high to mask the noise. Works like a charm. He is extremely sensitive, as someone threw a firecracker into our back yard when he was a puppy, he never forgot. If you don't have a crate just confine him to a bedroom or bathroom.

rushdoggie 07-01-2011 10:26 PM

I have heard of the thundershirt being really helpful. Some also have good success with melatonin.

http://www.wagntrain.com/independence_day.htm

And, FWIW: I'm not a Cesar Milan fan. I believe there are many trainers out there who get as good if not better results using sound, scientific principles and without magic TV editing. Flooding a dog who has fears (which is Milan's usual method) can really backfire and seldom results in long term success. His show comes with a disclaimer when it starts, that says a lot to me. I woudl recommend that you check out books and videos from Patricia McConnell, Jean Donaldson, Karen Pryor and Ian Dunbar.

Lv2sew2011 07-01-2011 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
We had a German Shepherd that we had to restrain when firecrackers were shot off.

He wanted to go after them.

I had a Irish Setter that chase them too! Funniest thing to watch, Thank God she never caught one....

genafan201 07-02-2011 03:50 AM

We used to have a black lab, now deceased, that we would have to physically restrain around firework...not that he was scared, he equated the "boom" with a gun shot and would run off trying to find the "dead birds".

Of the two dogs we have now...the new black lab's ears will twitch and he'll cock his head like "something's not quite right here"...the little guy (from another thread my jacked up beagle) doesn't even twitch. I really loud one with go off and startle me - I look over and Jude is still sound asleep!

barri1 07-02-2011 03:50 AM

Socrates has issues with fire works, and thunder.. It started with a storm two years ago.. After the storm, I noticed that he wouldn't go down to the basement with me, and when I picked him up to take him, he was shaking like a leaf, and panting.. Then he started shaking when he heard the fire works, and thunder.. He was at the vet yesterday for a check up, and the vet would've given me an Rx for Valium.. I had started to give him Benadryl on my own, at 6mg for a body weight of 15lbs.. I also bought the Thunder Shirt.. It didn't work.. Benadryl seems to do the trick.. The vet said to give him up to 25mg if need be..
Good luck..
Barri

blueangel 07-02-2011 03:58 AM

I'm likethe dogs, I don't like the fireworks either.

justwannaquilt 07-02-2011 04:30 AM

Tough love! Thats how I always deal with my dogs. They are an animal not a child, not even human! My dogs do what I want them to do NOT what they want to do when it comes to stuff like this. In situations like this your dog needs a calm leader, not a pitty feeling mom!

Its not the "stupid peoples" fault for setting off fireworks. Its the dog owners fault for allowing their dogs to get worked up over a loud noise!

I live inside city limits, have dogs that when I got them did not like "fireworks" and I will be setting them off in my back yard come tomorrow night and Monday while the dogs are crated in the house! They will be happy, my kids will be happy, I'll be happy!

P.S. My husband has PTSD and I treat him with tough love when it comes to stuff like this (loud noises and tough situations) too, he still loves me.

LindaaJR 07-02-2011 04:49 AM

My Great Dane and my Coon hound are afraid of thunder and do not do well on the 4th. They try to hide behind me and would be in my lap if they would fit. My little Boston terrier and Mini Schnauser do not mind the noise. I am going to try the dryer sheet trick. Take care.
Linda

SparkMonkey 07-02-2011 05:18 AM

My parents live out in the boonies, no neighbors closer than a half-mile away and I doubt any of them will be setting off fireworks (no kids or young people for miles and miles). We're taking our dog up there and spending the night on Sunday. It'll be fun! It's been a while since I stayed overnight at Mom and Dad's house. We'll cook out and play Scrabble and not set anything on fire. :)