Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   I love Altoid tins - (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/i-love-altoid-tins-t269929.html)

pdriggs 09-14-2015 08:20 AM

I also have a few of the Whitman's chocolate sampler tins. They are about the same size, and are prettier than the Altoids! I'm not sure if they are still making them. Check the drug stores and Walmart.
Phyllis

Vat 09-14-2015 09:36 AM

Love the tins , but hate the mints getting to the tins.

ladydukes 09-14-2015 09:56 AM

One of my previous bosses "dipped" so he had all of these cute little tins. I asked him for them, so he gave me quite a few. I use them to separate my different types of straight pins (the ones that I have in small quantities) and write the content on the edge with a magic marker. They are so useful!

I also use those flip up type gum containers for safety pins, etc.

I love to "recycle" for my own use!

tessagin 09-14-2015 10:04 AM

Friend of mine gets a lot of the tins. Her daughter just loves those mints. They upset my stomach. I have a couple so I just put the mints in a cute little candy dish I found at an estate sale and gave it to her.
You can go to the craft store and buy sticky magnetic strips (business card size) and attach to the bottom of the tins. It'll keep the pins from flying when you open them.

miriam 09-15-2015 02:15 AM

They hold bobbins, too.

Kris P 09-15-2015 03:46 AM

I just can't throw them away. Even the tiny ones are great for holding paperclips for EPP kits.

dd 09-15-2015 04:32 AM

I bought 1 that size at a candy store a long time ago because it had a sewing motif on the lid. I keep extra needles, scissors, thread and the little leather dots to use as a thimble in mine. I put the magnetic business card in the top so I could put a used or broken needle under it. Then I could put it in my used needle/pin container at home.

marshaKay 09-15-2015 05:15 AM

Love the idea of the mint tins. I use the "gum" tins for my sewing and needle point supplies. I can even get a small 6" ruler and marking pens in that one. Too big for my purse, but just the right size for my little sewing tote.

Aurora 09-15-2015 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 7316164)
They make the excellent containers for a mini-sewing kit, holding bobbins or pins -

They are small enough to tuck in my purse and large enough to hold the basics for a hand sewing project - small scissors, needles, thread, thimble, pins - band-aids -

Have you seen the mini tins? I have only found them at Family Dollar. They are awesome as well.

BettyGee 09-15-2015 06:49 AM

If the manufacturer of Altoids knew all of the fantastic things that can be done with their tins they'd start charging more. So shhhhh don't tell. I have them all over the house doing many organizational things. love 'em.