Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   I put new sleeves on a tee shirt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/i-put-new-sleeves-tee-shirt-t276148.html)

purplefiend 02-26-2016 04:21 PM

I put new sleeves on a tee shirt

I had bought a very cute v-neck tee shirt at Sam's Club, the fit was great everywhere but the sleeves.
Since the shirt was only $8, I bought another one and used it for making new sleeves. The hardest part was taking the old sleeves out and then used one of the sleeves as a starting point for the new larger ones. I used the existing hem on the bottom of the tee shirt when I laid the sleeve pattern on it.
The original sleeve was 7.5" from shoulder to hem and 14" around the arm. I added 4" in width 4" in length.

Sharon in Texas

ratherhaverain 02-26-2016 04:31 PM

Great idea! Sleeves that reach the elbow are so much more comfortable than the short cap sleeves that look like they shrank in the wash.

QuiltnLady1 02-26-2016 05:16 PM

That is a good idea -- I will need to remember it when I see a t-shirt that I like. Thanks for the idea.

maviskw 02-27-2016 06:28 AM

What a great idea Sharon! You certainly are resourceful. Hope you enjoy your new T-shirt.

dd 02-27-2016 06:36 AM

Never thought about buying another shirt for the fabric. I bought one that the sleeves were tight so I thought I would make new sleeves from lace. Yea, it's still sitting there waiting for me to get to it. One day....

Clarice29 02-27-2016 08:12 AM

Lace or another shirt for sleeves is a great idea. I don't like the new shorter sleeves either.

tessagin 02-27-2016 08:16 AM

Same here! They seem to want to bunch up into the armpit and very uncomfortable.

Originally Posted by Clarice29 (Post 7478417)
Lace or another shirt for sleeves is a great idea. I don't like the new shorter sleeves either.

tapper 02-27-2016 10:11 AM

This reminds me of when my son was young. He had a blue snowsuit that was a bit big for him but he loved it and he did look adorable in it. I figured he would grow into it by the following winter. Next winter the suit fit great except for the sleeves...they were too short. I used heavy yarn and knit some wrist cuffs and sewed them to the end of the sleeves sewing them into the lining. I amazed myself! They were perfect fit!

Lyncat 02-27-2016 02:58 PM

What a great idea! I really dislike those cap sleeves! Not becoming on these 59 year old arms!

maviskw 02-28-2016 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by tapper (Post 7478543)
I used heavy yarn and knit some wrist cuffs and sewed them to the end of the sleeves sewing them into the lining. I amazed myself! They were perfect fit!

I have done this for a jacket I wanted to wear, but the sleeves were a little short and were wide open at the end so the wind could go right up my arms. I also sewed the knit cuffs onto the lining and had beautiful warm sleeves, and they were long enough.

Many times I find really nice clothes at St. Vinney's that has really long sleeves. Someone else didn't want them because the sleeves were too long. That's just what I need.