Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: I put new sleeves on a tee shirt

I put new sleeves on a tee shirt

I had bought a very cute v-neck tee shirt at Sam's Club, the fit was great everywhere but the sleeves.
    Since the shirt was only $8, I bought another one and used it for making new sleeves. The hardest part was taking the old sleeves out and then used one of the sleeves as a starting point for the new larger ones. I used the existing hem on the bottom of the tee shirt when I laid the sleeve pattern on it.
    The original sleeve was 7.5" from shoulder to hem and 14" around the arm. I added 4" in width 4" in length.

Sharon in Texas
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-26-2016 at 05:10 PM. Reason: remove link to affiliated site

Great idea! Sleeves that reach the elbow are so much more comfortable than the short cap sleeves that look like they shrank in the wash.

That is a good idea -- I will need to remember it when I see a t-shirt that I like. Thanks for the idea.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

What a great idea Sharon! You certainly are resourceful. Hope you enjoy your new T-shirt.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

dd
    Never thought about buying another shirt for the fabric. I bought one that the sleeves were tight so I thought I would make new sleeves from lace. Yea, it's still sitting there waiting for me to get to it. One day....
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

Lace or another shirt for sleeves is a great idea. I don't like the new shorter sleeves either.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Same here! They seem to want to bunch up into the armpit and very uncomfortable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarice29 View Post
    Lace or another shirt for sleeves is a great idea. I don't like the new shorter sleeves either.

This reminds me of when my son was young. He had a blue snowsuit that was a bit big for him but he loved it and he did look adorable in it. I figured he would grow into it by the following winter. Next winter the suit fit great except for the sleeves...they were too short. I used heavy yarn and knit some wrist cuffs and sewed them to the end of the sleeves sewing them into the lining. I amazed myself! They were perfect fit!

What a great idea! I really dislike those cap sleeves! Not becoming on these 59 year old arms!

Quote Originally Posted by tapper View Post
    I used heavy yarn and knit some wrist cuffs and sewed them to the end of the sleeves sewing them into the lining. I amazed myself! They were perfect fit!
    I have done this for a jacket I wanted to wear, but the sleeves were a little short and were wide open at the end so the wind could go right up my arms. I also sewed the knit cuffs onto the lining and had beautiful warm sleeves, and they were long enough.

Many times I find really nice clothes at St. Vinney's that has really long sleeves. Someone else didn't want them because the sleeves were too long. That's just what I need.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Same here; I hate the short, short sleeves; feels like I'm constantly digging them out of my armpit; like an armpit wedgie. I won't even buy items when the sleeves look like that.

I tried to post of picture of me wearing my tee shirt, however it wouldn't load. Then I put the link to my flickr page and it got removed. Dang it.

Blog Entries
    How did you make the sleeves 4" larger and then fit them into the (smaller) sleeve opening?
    Sue

Blog Entries
    What a great idea

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkiris View Post
    How did you make the sleeves 4" larger and then fit them into the (smaller) sleeve opening?
    I kinda pleated them. It looks a little odd, but its wearable.