Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   I'm going to try this (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/im-going-try-t247324.html)

Mousie 05-25-2014 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 6730042)
Worth a try. At the very least the Mosquitos will have fresh breath when they bite.:D

dang, now that's funny! :D

scarlet14 05-25-2014 09:39 AM

any "flavor" works and any brand of "listerine"---we have used used this for years camping-golfing
and at home---even spray it on me when walking

janjj 05-25-2014 10:09 AM

Listerine for mosquitoes

Originally Posted by scarlet14 (Post 6730660)
any "flavor" works and any brand of "listerine"---we have used used this for years camping-golfing
and at home---even spray it on me when walking

Thanks for the tip. for flies - put water in a zip lock bag. punch a couple of holes above the zip - hang on the outside of your door - I use the suction things You hang things with. The flies will not go past this. I had only two flies in my house last year. They even use these at restrants in Branson and the fish hatchery there too.

debbiemarie 05-25-2014 11:08 AM

I am going to try it, the mosquitoes ruin the party!

Arleners 05-25-2014 02:16 PM

I heard for the thing for flies is that you put a few pennies in the bag. They sunlight reflects off them through the water and to the flies it looks like a hoarde of enemies

donna13350 05-25-2014 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 (Post 6730255)
Anybody have a solution to the Japanese Beetle? They look like the innocent Lady Bugs but they infest my flower gardens terribly. We even find them in the Winter time indoors but usually dead then.

I have tons of roses, and don't have to say what the Japanese beetles used to do to them every year...well..long story short, a few years ago I got sick and didn't get out to weed, but when I finally got outside and went for a walk around the yard, the beetles weren't on my roses, and I knew it was the season..so as I walked I noticed a wild grape vine that had grown at the edge of my property, and it was just thick with beetles! So now, I let the wild grape vines grow at the edges of my property and I haven't had a problem with them on my roses for a couple of years! Don't know if this works with domestic grape vines, but they sure do prefer the wild ones!!

caspharm 05-26-2014 02:03 PM

Interesting ideas! May have to try the "Listerine" for mosquitoes idea.

CAS49OR 05-26-2014 03:34 PM

I'm originally from ND where mosquitoes are the state bird. I'm wondering if it is the alcohol in Listerine, or the mint that repels them. I have heard that if you take vitamin B they won't like you as much. I don't think that's true because I do.

In ND you could tell when a mosquito landed on you (b-52 weight). Here, in OR, I have weird mosquitoes, they keep biting and biting, so tiny I cannot see them, and the itch and welt lasts for two weeks. They have long striped tails. I do not like them. Understatement? They do not stay on you so you can smash them.

What the hell?

puzzler 05-26-2014 04:38 PM

You may be facing "no-see-ums". We had them in Utah but I haven't seen any here in Oregon. Are you perhaps in the dry part of the state?

quiltmom04 05-26-2014 05:31 PM

Not according to snopes!