Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: I'm going to try this

Blog Entries

I'm going to try this

How to Kill Mosquitoes - NOT A JOKE

You may be aware of this, How to Kill Mosquitoes - NOT A JOKE

I can't wait to try this in the summer!

I was at a deck party awhile back, and the bugs were having a ball biting everyone. A man at the party sprayed the lawn and deck floor with Listerine, and the little demons disappeared. The next year I filled. a 4-ounce spray bottle and used it around my seat whenever I saw mosquitoes. And voila! That worked as well.. It worked at a picnic where we sprayed the area around the food table, the children's swing area, and the standing water nearby. During the summer, I don't leave home without it....Pass it on.

OUR FRIEND'S COMMENTS: I tried this on my deck and around all of my doors.

It works - in fact, it killed them instantly. I bought my bottle from Target and it. cost me $1.89. It really doesn't take much, and it is a big bottle, too; so it is not as expensive to use as the can of Bug-spray you buy that doesn't last 30 minutes.

So, try this, please. It will last a couple of days. Don't spray directly on a wood. door (like your front door), but spray around the frame. Spray around the window frames, and even inside the dog house.

Now these are Good Mosquitoes!!!

EARTH FRIENDLY TOO???
    True4uca

Blog Entries
    Sounds great. We are blessed to live in a county that spray a vegie oil to kill mosquito larvae before they hatch. If we start seeing mosquitoes, we just call the county and they come out. I have been here for 10 years and have only seen 1 or 2 of the critters.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    I lived by the each for years, and the town never did anything, and those buggers were BIGb
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

We have big fat mosquitoes here. And our backyard is like an overgrown jungle. It would be worth a shot!
    Lori

Power Poster
    Worth a try. At the very least the Mosquitos will have fresh breath when they bite.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Worth a try. At the very least the Mosquitos will have fresh breath when they bite.
    Dangit, Tartan, I had a mouthful of Coke when I read this....

Blog Entries
    Worth a try.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

and I had a mouth full of semi-hot coffee. At least, there was my morning laugh. I always look for it to start my day with a grin, giggle, or a chuckle.
    Yooper32 aka: Donna B

Anybody have a solution to the Japanese Beetle? They look like the innocent Lady Bugs but they infest my flower gardens terribly. We even find them in the Winter time indoors but usually dead then.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
    Anybody have a solution to the Japanese Beetle? They look like the innocent Lady Bugs but they infest my flower gardens terribly. We even find them in the Winter time indoors but usually dead then.
    Or anyone have any idea if this would work for black flies? I seem to have a reaction to those little buggers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    dang, now that's funny!
    It is a blessing, to be a blessing !
    ~Quilters are warm people!!!~
    cheese brings parties together

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...HJV/weight.png

any "flavor" works and any brand of "listerine"---we have used used this for years camping-golfing
    and at home---even spray it on me when walking

Listerine for mosquitoes

Quote Originally Posted by scarlet14 View Post
    any "flavor" works and any brand of "listerine"---we have used used this for years camping-golfing
    and at home---even spray it on me when walking
    Thanks for the tip. for flies - put water in a zip lock bag. punch a couple of holes above the zip - hang on the outside of your door - I use the suction things You hang things with. The flies will not go past this. I had only two flies in my house last year. They even use these at restrants in Branson and the fish hatchery there too.

Blog Entries
    I am going to try it, the mosquitoes ruin the party!
    Mother yourself just as you would your own children, you will be surprised how much better you feel...Debbie Marie

I heard for the thing for flies is that you put a few pennies in the bag. They sunlight reflects off them through the water and to the flies it looks like a hoarde of enemies
    Arlene

I have tons of roses, and don't have to say what the Japanese beetles used to do to them every year...well..long story short, a few years ago I got sick and didn't get out to weed, but when I finally got outside and went for a walk around the yard, the beetles weren't on my roses, and I knew it was the season..so as I walked I noticed a wild grape vine that had grown at the edge of my property, and it was just thick with beetles! So now, I let the wild grape vines grow at the edges of my property and I haven't had a problem with them on my roses for a couple of years! Don't know if this works with domestic grape vines, but they sure do prefer the wild ones!!

Interesting ideas! May have to try the "Listerine" for mosquitoes idea.

I'm originally from ND where mosquitoes are the state bird. I'm wondering if it is the alcohol in Listerine, or the mint that repels them. I have heard that if you take vitamin B they won't like you as much. I don't think that's true because I do.

In ND you could tell when a mosquito landed on you (b-52 weight). Here, in OR, I have weird mosquitoes, they keep biting and biting, so tiny I cannot see them, and the itch and welt lasts for two weeks. They have long striped tails. I do not like them. Understatement? They do not stay on you so you can smash them.

What the hell?
    :-)
    CAS

You may be facing "no-see-ums". We had them in Utah but I haven't seen any here in Oregon. Are you perhaps in the dry part of the state?

Not according to snopes!

Blog Entries
    Does the smell linger after it is sprayed?
    Quilting in the Desert

Senior Member Cheshirecatquilter's Avatar
    I've had good luck with the commercial beetle traps. They can be bought at Tractor Supply, big box stores, etc. Don't be stingy placing them around the yard.