Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stuffed Crow (not my work)

Stuffed Crow (not my work)

I hope this is OK to post here...it's not a quilt and I didn't make it, but I did buy this at a quilt show, and it's made by a woman in my quilt guild. So it's SORT OF related!

The local quilt show (put on by the guild I just joined) has a boutique inside each year; guild members sew various projects throughout the year and they're sold at the show; part profit to the member, part to the guild. I have always have bought something there each year (well before I joined) because it's neat stuff and I like to support local artists and craftspeople.

This year, I saw this guy and literally could not leave him alone. I kept coming back and touching him, so finally I bought him and carried him all around the show where we both made lots of friends. He ended up recommending bird fabrics to everybody! (He even convinced me, you can see some of it in the background.) He & I had a whole booth full of people in stitches at one point...pun INTENDED!

And now he's my new sewing room mascot!

Meet Corbin. He's a dapper fellow and quite friendly! He stands 11" tall and I just love him to pieces. Corbin had 3-4 other members of his flock there (each with unique names) but I fell in love with the inquisitive little crook to his head and now he's mine! He's made out of black velveteen and he's just wonderful all the way around.

Name:  Corbin_3_qtrs.jpg
Views: 1837
Size:  107.8 KB

Name:  Corbin_front.jpg
Views: 1851
Size:  118.1 KB

Name:  Corbin_back.jpg
Views: 1838
Size:  96.6 KB

Very cute! I was sorry to miss that event – maybe next year!
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

That is sew cute,I love crows
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

Power Poster
    very cute!!!!!
    QUILTNMO

Quote Originally Posted by willferg View Post
    Very cute! I was sorry to miss that event – maybe next year!
    It was a good show, you missed out! I had a ton of fun, but then again it's hard for me NOT to have fun at a quilt show!

Quote Originally Posted by wolph33 View Post
    That is sew cute,I love crows
    I do too, I am impressed by their intelligence and I also think they're beautiful animals. There is a really fascinating TED talk about crows; if you go to YouTube and search for "crow vending machine" you'll find it. (Not about a vending machine that sells crows; it's about a vending machine designed to be used by crows.)

Very cool and so unique! I love your new mascot!!
    Kelly

He is certainly very dapper!

Sew cute! I love him.

I love Corbin too! Very dapper in his tophat. It would be difficult to just choose one!

Crows are fascinating birds. Years ago someone around here at the UW did a study. They said the crows use their "language" like we do. They apparently murmur stories to each other at night when they go in to roost and they have names for each other. Also, I used to feed the crows by my building when I worked at the UW. They would see my car coming and follow along, flying along with the car. They wanted their meat!
    Lori

Corbin is a sweetie. He does look very dapper.

Corbin is as cute as can be. I wouldn't have been able to leave him behind either. So glad you took the time to share him with all of us, thank you.

Blog Entries
    love the feet....

Blog Entries
    I love crows. I had childhood friends with one that was a pet. he actually talked! Lots live in my backyard in the trees...so enjoyable for me. Neighbors are not so fond of them because they believe they scare other birds away. I haven't noticed that.

Corbin looks right at home in your sewing room. How much fun for you. I know he makes you smile!
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Quote Originally Posted by Doggramma View Post
    I love Corbin too! Very dapper in his tophat. It would be difficult to just choose one!

Crows are fascinating birds. Years ago someone around here at the UW did a study. They said the crows use their "language" like we do. They apparently murmur stories to each other at night when they go in to roost and they have names for each other. Also, I used to feed the crows by my building when I worked at the UW. They would see my car coming and follow along, flying along with the car. They wanted their meat!
    Is that the same study where they wore Nixon masks to catch the birds, and then 2 generations later crows that had never seen those masks would still raise the alarm when they'd see someone in a Nixon mask? I thought that was utterly fascinating! I know it was at some university but can't remember which one.

My grandma's family used to raise crows when she was a child (not sure why, just as pets maybe?) and she had a pet crow that was her best friend. He didn't talk but he followed her everywhere, and would sit outside school waiting for her. How cool is that? When she passed away, her guild worked with my aunts and made a quilt to honor her life, and one of the blocks they included featured a crow.

They're amazing creatures. They can count, they can share information...and they don't go to work all day. Who's the smarter one, them or us? LOL

Blog Entries
    I love little Corbin. he's adorable
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

He is super cute! I love that he is made out of velveteen - makes him look quite sophisticated. ha ha

He is very cute! A great companion for your sewing area. Plus side: he doesn't shed or talk back. How cuddly is he, since he is velveteen ?

He is definitely a dapper fellow and I can see why you fell in love with him!

I really enjoyed your story.

Quote Originally Posted by caspharm View Post
    He is very cute! A great companion for your sewing area. Plus side: he doesn't shed or talk back. How cuddly is he, since he is velveteen ?
    He is very firmly stuffed so he's not really into big squeezy hugs, but he loves to be snuggled up to and stroked! And he seemed very comfortable tucked into the crook of my elbow at the show. He had a little trouble standing afterwards but we got him all squared away, LOL. (It was a long day for both of us!)

I hope the maker comes to a guild meeting soon so I can meet her and tell her how much I love Corbin...and maybe find out if any of his flock mates are still looking for new homes! There was a crow named "Cordelia" that almost came home with me but Corbin in particular really stole my heart with that little crook of his head. I know if I asked Corbin he'd tell me he could use a girlfriend, lol.

Senior Member raspberryparade09's Avatar
    He is adorable!! I want the pattern!!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Blog Entries
    He's going to keep a close watch over your quilting. A large group of crows can be called a "murder" of crows, so I hope he doesn't invite too many buddies to help!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Crows are one of the most interesting of the bird world. They are the most social of birdom and it is so intriguing to watch them. I call my place "The Crow's Nest". My DD made me a wall hanging with a crow's nest with 3 babies and the Mom and Dad coming in to feed them.
    Yooper32 aka: Donna B

I know some people consider them to be pests but I love them. We have several crows that live in our neighborhood, and there's a threesome that share a nest in our neighbor's tall pine tree. I did a little research and found out that the "extra" bird is probably an older child, hanging around Mom & Dad's nest to help out with the new babies. Neat!!

They snatch dog food from our dog's bowl sometimes. I don't even mind, it's too amusing to watch one of them distract the dog while the other one swoops in to steal from her. And she can afford to share a little with her avian neighbors!

His a cutie! Another fact about crows is that they mate for life. When a crow dies the others in the flock gather and put twigs, grasses etc. on the deceased. Then they gather around and chatter to each other for a spell. They are fascinating as are so many things in our natural world. Congratulations on receiving Corbin into your flock.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast