Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   I'm not that old! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/im-not-old-t218663.html)

BellaBoo 04-10-2013 06:43 PM

I remember ironing my long hair so it would be straight as a board. No such thing as blow dryers or hair straighteners then!

germanquilter 04-11-2013 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Glenda m (Post 5990745)
It's not considered an antique till it's 100 years old. (300 in Europe) So that just makes you vintage. Opps,, that makes me vintage,too!!! LOL Everyone have a great day.

My German parents always get a kick out of all those "Antiques" in American Antique Stores and how expensive a lot of stuff is that is really only vintage and not antique! I have antique dining room furniture from Belgium (we bought when we were stationed there in 1997) that is certified 250 years old and I paid less than a modern set from Ethan Allen :)

BillieJean 04-11-2013 03:43 PM

I remember those things, being a hairdresser myself, but I have never used them...

MamaYitu 04-13-2013 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Cagey (Post 5988856)
My DD who is 36 just got back from a field trip with her 10 yr daughter and her class. She was so upset when she called me. Evidently they went to a historical museum in our capital city and she saw things in the museum that she used to play with. She kept saying it wasn't possible - she's not that old! Of course my reply was "wait until you go to antique stores and find things you used to play with - I see them all the time!" Guess it just goes to show how fast things change in these high tech times we live in now.

My mother used to say: "You are as old as you feel." So there you got it. My four yr. old granddaughter said to me the other day: "Grandma, you are old!" Awww, I said, I am not THAT old. Why do you say I am old? "Well, Grandma, you are old because you have CRINKLES!" I have had so many good laughs over that one. So if you don't want to get old, just don't get crinkles!!!!!

Grandma Peg 04-13-2013 12:39 PM

Unfortunately we all have to age but it's all up to us how old we feel. Don't know about any one else but some days I still feel 40 and the next maybe 80 and I'm 60.

Rose Marie 04-14-2013 05:38 AM

I remember when there was no plastic. Toys were wood or metal or cardboard or rubber. I had a metal doll house that was put togather with little metal tabs to hold it togather. I wanted a kewpee doll but never got one.
There was Melamine and I wonder what that is made of.
Technology is leaving me behind. Things get smaller and more complicated. Not interested in figuring them out. All I want a phone for is to make calls and recieve callls. I have a digital camera and now it refuses to download my pictures to my computer.
I have a Kindle Fire that kicks me out of books Im reading because I touch something that is on the side of it by mistake. No page numbers so if I lose my place Im lost. Just when Im to a great part it wants to be charged.
Much prefer paper books.

Nammie to 7 04-18-2013 06:46 PM

I was at a quilt show recently and some younger gals were talking about the vintage quilts that were on display so I had to go look at them. They were made in 1995! One person's vintage is another person's recent history!