Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   iPad vs other? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/ipad-vs-other-t269025.html)

Jennie and Me 08-21-2015 07:18 PM

I have an IPad and do love it...however it doesn't stay charged and takes forever to recharge. Took it to an Apple Store thinking that it needed a new battery. Long story short, they would replace it for $99 (the whole IPad, not the battery) however they didn't have one like it in stock. So I need to call Apple Care and they will send me a new one for the $99 and send me the box to send mine in. Seriously!

janedee 08-21-2015 07:39 PM

I have the Kindle Fire HD - absolutely love it, been using it for 18 months every day and no problems whatsoever, never had or used an IPad so can't compare.

regm 08-22-2015 03:07 AM

I'm starting to have some trouble with my IPad. The mail icon seems to be frozen. am using the Google icon but want to stay with what I am used to. Have an appointment at nearest Apple store on Mon. nite. I don't like change. Don't know what I'll switch to if the need arises.

Geri B 08-22-2015 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 7292844)
That is what is called Ransomware. It's a scam but will disable your computer. Google Ransomware Removal. The most important thing is to protect your computer from getting it.

We have several tablets but I like Kindle Fire. DH loves his Komando tablet. Our old Ipad didn't last very long so we didn't buy another. I bought a cheap no name one at Walmart for the grands to use and it is still working great for their games and movies.

I can't access the net from iPad because of this whatever ....so I can't get to google about ransom ware......I will have to visit the dreaded apple store.....they will probably try and sell me another one, but I won't go that route again. I will look into the fire, I think.......I use it for just email, here, any info, tutes, a very few online purchases ...no games....have kindle for reading........I don't know......

quiltmaker52 08-22-2015 06:55 AM

My my husband and I have Samsung. His is 10", mine is 8". We each have the Nook, Kindle, and Overdrive apps on them for reading. Love the Samsungs! Have had them for about 4 years. They cost less than Ipads, and all my friends with Ipads have had problems.

Stitchnripper 08-22-2015 07:09 AM

My iPad is going on 2 years old. I haven't had any problems with it. I really like it because of the apps available and I have an iPhone and iMac and they all work together and in the same way. I also have a Kindle app, Overdrive, and would get the Nook app if I wanted it. I know the iPads come with a free protection program for year one with free exchange. I bought the second year protection program for $99. We must have an odd Apple store here because on the few occasions I have needed help, they help me and don't try to upsell.

dsews2 08-22-2015 08:36 AM

Right now i have a 20'' imac desktop but in the near future, i hope to buy an ipad or something so i can carry it around.....i have a friend who is my daughters g/f husband and is a computer tech. He fixes my mac when ever i have problems with no charge. He fixes it while we are connected. They have the same imac i have plus other things.....they know more about computers then i do.....there does seem to be a problem lately that it's not real easy getting him on the phone....they are in their early 40's so are active with a family....i also belong to a mac users group so can get some help there.

Prism99 08-22-2015 10:26 AM

My daughter and I both have iPad Airs. She loves hers and never has a problem with it. Mine is great except that Safari almost always has to reload internet pages; makes it slower to cruise the net than I would like. My dd uses hers differently than I do. She is often on Facebook and Youtube for long periods of time. I am often trying to read forums and news channels on mine. We have the same model of iPad but purchased several months apart.

Recently I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab S for a friend. We got him the 10" screen to make it easy to watch movies (plus I just like a larger screen). It also comes in a 8.5" size that is very portable if you like to take a tablet with you. I must say the screen display on the Tab S is fabulous, plus it has a micro SD slot so you can store an incredible amount of photos and videos on it. (The iPad, in contrast, does not have a micro SD slot. Once you run out of memory on the iPad it's a good idea to buy Cloud storage for your extras.)

The big advantage of iPad for us was that it was an easy introduction to the world of tablets. It's just easier to get started and operational than android. Now that we have some experience, android is becoming more attractive -- especially the Samsung products. The Tab S would be the one to compare to the current iPad Air II. If you Google, you can find several comparisons of the two products. Not everyone needs top-of-the-line in these two brands, though.

My best guess is that either of these will last someone a good 10 years before needing replacement (primarily due to changes in the operating system; once an OS becomes too old, many of the newer apps won't work well with it).

A decision really depends on how you want to use the tablet. I see a lot of positive comments about the Kindle Fire, but that may be due to how it is used. I have read quite a few comments online that complain about how it does (or does not do well) certain things. Haven't paid attention, but I think it has to do with how it connects to the internet. It's great for streaming movies, etc. but may not be as good for doing what I spend most of my time on -- reading forums and Googling for information online.

madamekelly 08-22-2015 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B (Post 7292803)
Yesterday I was on it looking to get directions for an address- locally- from mapquest...when suddenly this message came on saying something about an error...with an http addy, saying the os is in danger......along with an 877# to call to be connected to!a live tech......after trying to shut down/ reopen, only to find that same pop up message, I called the number - answered by someone with a very heavy Indian accent and poor connection...told him my situation......he stated that this could be corrected by him on line for $39.95---- I said no thanks and hung up. So this morning, tried to get on safari thru iPad......same message, but I am here on my iPad.....I don't understand....I will call the apple store, make an appt and see what they say ........the store is about 35 miles away, not convenient and this thing is out of warranty of course!

Apple will never send you a message like that. You are being told to contact someone who is trying to commit a crime. NEVER click a link in an email, or a blink or not blinking banner ad. Doing so is what is wrong with the iPads. I am on my second iPad, after four years of use with the first one, but only because I dropped the first one. The one I have now is a reconditioned one from Apple. (NEVER buy a reconditioned IPad from any other source) no one can remotely "fix" an iPad . If you are on tech support, with Apple by phone or online, they will sometimes ask to access your computer to diagnose or see a problem, but never to "fix" anything. Apple products are meant to be secure. Only your actions can change that. If your iPad is acting odd, try shutting it completely off, wait 30-60 seconds and turn back on. If this does not fix whatever is going on, call tech support yourself, or take it in. Also, I have never heard a "foreign voice" on Apple tech support. Accents yes, but not obvious ESL folks.

{ Funny story for you. I am so not tech savvy, so that when I got my first iPad, I read what I understood of the instructions, managed to get it up and working, and was really enjoying being able to use it so easily. It was so much fun to be able to sit or ride anywhere and use it. It was wonderful, for about two weeks. Then I noticed that it was acting strange, typing weird, having trouble getting online, while online things would shift, blink, and just drive me crazy. I'm thinking " that was way too much money to spend on a tool that only works right for a couple weeks!" So, in desperation I called tech support. (I hate calling tech support, makes me feel stupid.) a very nice young lady answered, asked what she could help me with. I explained what was going on. She said to turn it off then back on. I "turned it off" said OK, it is off. She said it is not supposed to turn off that quick.....for the whole time I had used it, I had been putting it to sleep, not actually turning it off! They only reset when you turn them completely off! I felt so stupid. She and I had a good laugh at my silly mistake, and I now turn it off when I am done with it......lol!}

Stitchnripper 08-22-2015 12:54 PM

madamekelly - I agree with your post. I'm very happy with my three Apple products and have always gotten someone I can understand on the few occasions I have called the support line. I like to ask them where they are from and when they say Cupertino I do a little happy dance. Maybe they aren't really in Cupertino, but, I like to think they are. One of the "geniuses" in the Apple Store when we were buying something told us they refer to Cupertino as "the Mother ship". Funny.