Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   IRS Scam (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/irs-scam-t282337.html)

jarenie 09-20-2016 11:04 AM

IRS Scam

I worked for the IRS for several years.
1. They will never call you.
2. They will send you a letter to the address on your tax return.
3. If you get a call saying they are from the IRS and this is your final notice. Do Not Say Anything> Hang Up
4 This is a SCAM and the number that comes across on your phone is not the number they are calling from.

cashs_mom 09-20-2016 11:23 AM

It seems like this one comes back around every couple years. I got a couple of these calls a few weeks back. I wasn't home and ignored them but they are kind of annoying.

bearisgray 09-20-2016 12:00 PM

we got called twice in one day a couple of weeks ago.

yngldy 09-20-2016 01:09 PM

I get recordings and a number to call back. I would love to get a real person. I would ask if I will be sent to federal prison, as I hear they get cable there and have a gym, and I can't afford cable or gym membership on my income. When can they come get me?? Wonder if they will hang up?

grannie cheechee 09-20-2016 02:03 PM

My DH and I rec'd a letter in the mail yrs ago from the IRS about our return. It did come registered. They had the nerve to ask for our phone number. I kept sending them what they wanted by mail until I got tired of it,then I called them. I wouldn't give them my number because at the time we both worked 11 to 7,and if they had called us I probably would have agreed that we owed them money.

Fraew 09-20-2016 02:23 PM

Thank you for confirming! They have been calling me daily at least twice. It's making me crazy.

nanacc 09-20-2016 05:56 PM

Got that call a few weeks ago and posted about it!

NJ Quilter 09-20-2016 06:06 PM

Hubs has been getting these calls repeatedly on a daily basis (multiple calls/day) for the last several day on his cell. He calls them back and they keep asking who he is. He does not give out any info - as no one should. It's probably the same folks who've left 2 messages on the home answering machine that I've not yet bothered to listen. No familiar numbers in our recent call list at home so it's either the IRS scam or politicians - neither of which I have an interest.

pennycandy 09-20-2016 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by yngldy (Post 7657405)
I get recordings and a number to call back. I would love to get a real person. I would ask if I will be sent to federal prison, as I hear they get cable there and have a gym, and I can't afford cable or gym membership on my income. When can they come get me?? Wonder if they will hang up?

Thanks for the laugh. It would be funny to see the look on their face. It's a threat they can't enforce so they probable would hang up real fast.

ptquilts 09-21-2016 02:34 AM

Also I do not believe the NY State Police have my email address. I have gotten messages "from them". Yeah right.